Author Topic: Martins pics! Everybody post your Martins here!  (Read 546964 times)

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
Re: Martins pics! Everybody post your Martins here!
« Reply #3025 on: August 28, 2014, 03:40:49 PM »
Your'e right - more space is always better. I know exactly how I'd organize the room to hold the cage and supplies, even if I'm still not positive I'll get rats again. I keep planning things! Sheesh. I've been back through almost this whole thread all over again, drooling over the cages and adorable residents :yelcutelaugh:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3026 on: August 29, 2014, 09:08:58 AM »
I thought of another question ::) I never did it with Pete's Martin's, but I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that you can put down a strip of, like, tile or laminate flooring on the shelves? My biggest pet peeve with the Martin's (and every other cage I had) was that Pete peed on the shelves. It was less annoying in the Martin's because it soaked into the liners, but it was still frustrating because the liners got stinky fast and there was no way to clean them other than changing them. If I could put down some solid flooring on the two small shelves that would be easy to wipe up, I'd love that. Anyone done this?
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline eckokitten

• Ritten
« Reply #3027 on: September 25, 2014, 01:45:19 PM »
I just ordered a martins cage today. Can't wait for it to come!

Question, how does everyone attach the fleece liners to the shelves?

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3028 on: September 25, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »
I just ordered a martins cage today. Can't wait for it to come!

Question, how does everyone attach the fleece liners to the shelves?

I put grommets in each corner and used pipe cleaners (cut into halves or thirds) to twist-tie the liners to the cage or shelf bars. Worked great for me, but I make hammocks so I always had grommets and a grommet puncher handy!
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline gooseyluvspink

• Ritten
« Reply #3029 on: September 30, 2014, 02:14:49 AM »
All your cages are adorable :BlueDumboSmile:

I feel like such a newb  :BlueDumboBigEyes: I have a martins it was 2 separate ones that i bought off a lady and then i just took the lid off one and combined it for my girls. Ill have to post a picture in a bit :cheeky:

Offline gooseyluvspink

• Ritten
« Reply #3030 on: September 30, 2014, 02:18:38 AM »
Risika, your 680 looks great, and I love the little silhouette above it too. :)

Here's my cage this week:

This cage is so cute :BlueDumboBigEyes:

Offline eckokitten

• Ritten
« Reply #3031 on: October 01, 2014, 02:37:37 PM »
I just got my cage today and omg I am so so so in love with it. Why did I ever get a CN before?

My Khaleesi has never been in such a big cage. At the store she was in a tank and I had her in a small one story cage :( So this is a big change for her. As soon as I put her in she just looked back at me like idk what to do lol. She seems to love the fleece :) And it took her a while to figure out how to go up and down the ramps confidently. Poor thing. She has such a good home now though so yay.

It is kindof sparse I am going to make some more hammocks and get some baskets.

Offline Blackthorn

• Posts Too Much!
    • Central Texas Rat Rescue
« Reply #3032 on: October 12, 2014, 08:13:43 PM »

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
« Reply #3033 on: December 29, 2014, 04:47:48 PM »
How are your large green wheels attached?

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #3034 on: December 29, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »
How are your large green wheels attached?

They are not my cages, but I have that same wheel (same color even!). It is the Silent Spinner, and they come with a yellow plastic screw attached at the center. The wheel spins around this screw. The screw has a cross-shaped grove that goes over an intersection of cage wire. You simply push the wheel up against the side of the cage so that the screw passes through the cage bars at one of the bar intersections and then screw the plastic cap over the end sticking outside the cage. The Silent Spinner also comes with a stand if you prefer to use it free standing.

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
« Reply #3035 on: December 29, 2014, 06:02:38 PM »
Thank you. I recently came home with what I thought was a silent spinner but couldn't see any way for it to work in a Martin's. I'll have to take a second look.

... do I have an older or different style? This is what the back of mine looks like:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:04:53 PM by Violet976 »

Offline Lennyk

« Reply #3036 on: December 29, 2014, 11:03:08 PM »

What stands are you using here? They almost look attached to the bottom of the cage. I'm totally jealous.

Offline Melle7

• Ritten
« Reply #3037 on: February 19, 2015, 01:03:02 AM »
Here's my 695, home to my 5 girls  :rattysmiley: I recently moved them in from their single CN. I like this layout WAY more and it just feels more cozy, but I also feel like the use of space is better.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3038 on: February 19, 2015, 10:28:56 AM »
Pretty! Very colorful :D
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3039 on: February 20, 2015, 05:36:18 PM »
Has anyone ordered a custom cage from Martin's? I'm going to be getting rats again sometime in the near future (yay!) and I'm going to order a cage way beforehand so I'm prepared :yelcutelaugh: Anyway, I had a 695 before and loved it, but it was really tall. I like the 680, but I want there to be plenty of room for two boys. I think a 30x18x30 cage would be perfect, so I'm sending them an email, but I wanted to see if anyone here had ordered a custom cage before and, if so, what was involved in the process?
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #3040 on: February 20, 2015, 07:48:18 PM »
I've ordered custom from them before. It was really easy. I emailed them telling them what I wanted (I also included a plan I'd made up in Paint), and they wrote me back with a quote and how long it may take to get it. When I agreed, they sent an invoice. They were really good about keeping me updated when they got it back from the powdercoaters and when it shipped.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3041 on: February 20, 2015, 08:01:11 PM »
That's good to hear, thanks! I sent an email but don't really expect to hear back till Monday...It is the weekend, after all!
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3042 on: February 23, 2015, 10:29:28 AM »
And now I'm back to shopping their premade cages. The custom is a great idea, but if I order an in-stock cage, I can pick it up at a rabbit show at the end of March (already assembled!) and pay sales tax ($9.80) instead of the $20+ shipping, which is fantastic. I like the 680 (both the size and interior layout and the fact that it's small and will keep me from getting more rats  ;)), but more space is definitely better, so...I'll likely end up with the 695 again ::)

I was also looking at their carriers - anyone have one of these? I donated the cat carrier I had for Pete after he passed and I was just planning to get one of those at Target, but since I'm planning for two boys I feel like I should probably get a slightly larger one - the cat carrier was perfect for one big rattie, but for two boys it'll probably be a little cramped... The Martin's rat one is 18x11x11 (with 1/2 x 1" mesh like the cages), but they also have a smaller carrier that's 11x7x10 (with 1" mesh). If I'm using it for travel to and from the vet and to and from their potential petsitter (who doesn't have rats but lives 40 minutes away and kindly offered to take care of them if I have to leave town), which should I choose? Probably the bigger one, right? :yelcutelaugh:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #3043 on: February 23, 2015, 01:58:29 PM »
The custom is a great idea, but if I order an in-stock cage, I can pick it up at a rabbit show at the end of March (already assembled!)

Keep in mind that they assemble their cages with the C-Rings. If you want to assemble it with zipties, you may not want them to assemble it for you. I store my Martins R695 assembled when not in use, but I like the fact that I can just cut the zip-ties if I want to collapse it for storage. It is an option that makes me feel more comfortable, even if I have yet to use it. It is pretty large, so you need a lot of storage space to store it assembled. But if you prefer the C-Rings, it is nice to have it assembled for you as those can be a pain.

Can't help you with the carrier as I haven't used a Martin's carrier. I use this one and love it for quick vet trips: http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Kennel-10-Pound-Pearl-Waterfall/dp/B005BV0Z1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424717386&sr=8-1&keywords=petmate+look+n+see. It is probably similar in size to the larger carrier you listed. I usually use it for just one rat at a time (vet trips), but two rats would be fine inside and maybe more for short trips. It is small enough to handle easily at the vets. The dimensions of the smaller carrier just seem too small to me.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3044 on: February 23, 2015, 02:06:18 PM »
Thanks! I like those carriers - I'll probably go with one of those instead.

I used zip ties to assemble my last 695 and when I sold it, I took it apart per the buyer's request. It took me two hours to remove all the zip ties and I scraped off some of the powdercoating as well. I don't see how c-rings could be more difficult, but that's a good point. I wonder if I can ask them to not assemble it...
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline skykoi

« Reply #3045 on: May 03, 2018, 03:47:35 PM »
Makes me sad that no one posts in this thread any more. The cage threads have always been my favorite  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

I don't currently have rats, but I have a picture of my last rat in her cage. I took her in from a friend over the summer and was able to rehouse her in about 2 months. I originally had a critter nation but my parents claimed to have accidently thrown it away while I was at college!?!? So then I just decided to get a Martin. I thought I was going to miss the CN tremendously...but I actually found the martin to be so much easier to clean and decorate. I think the nicest thing about the critter nation is just having doors that open up to the entire cage. I don't see why martin couldn't just make a huge wire door...

Anyways, the cage isn't much, but Gluestick liked it and she was an absolute sweetheart to be with!! One of the most affectionate rats I've ever had.

I hope people start posting pics again  ;D

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3046 on: May 16, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »
I don't have an FN but I love the pics!
--Best, Mountaintop--