Author Topic: Tobi and Irish getting along?  (Read 133 times)

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
Tobi and Irish getting along?
« on: October 20, 2017, 09:44:41 AM »
Yesterday Tobi and Irish got neutered. When I got them home I tried putting honey on them in hopes they would lick it off each other. That didnít happen. I then put them both in the sink and rinsed them off. After that I got them both in a big towel and dried them off. As I sat on the couch with them they walked around of the towel and had no problem with each other. They even cuddled up together, with me.

After cleaning up one half of the CN, I put them together in that one half. Theyíre not supposed to be running, jumping or climbing, so they only have one level. All night they were fine. This morning things are getting a little iffy. When Tobi goes over to Irish they both kind of stop moving. Irish was in the igloo and Tobi tried to get in. Irish put his head on top of Tobiís and neither of them moved. It made me pretty nervous. After rinsing out the syringes used to give them their meds I came back to them just kinda staring at each other. Irish has, for the most part, staying in one corner.

Are they going to finally get along or should I seperate them? I really want them to get along, but I also donít want anyone to get hurt.  :help:

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Tobi and Irish getting along?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »
Glad you, to steal from comedian Dave Barry, decided to turn the volume knob WAY DOWN on their radios of love. Trying to bond them when they were still wonky from the drugs and stressed from the trip was a great idea. But you may need to separate them again for a while. I guess it can take 4-5 WEEKS to get testosterone out of their systems! :shocked2:  So don't give up.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 06:24:20 PM »
I just got home from school. Husband watched them for me and said they were very calm. After doing some quick checking of their incisions, I watched as Irish walked around, look at Tobi(who was in the space pod) a couple times, and then he just walked back to his corner. He didn't seem to care. He may still be doped up, but I'm happy with what I saw.

No I have to wait until I can introduce them to their little sisters~

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 06:32:09 PM »
My guess is that if there were going to be real hostilities, you'd already be seeing them.  Remember the old rule:  no blood, no foul.  Even though neutered, they still have to work out the dominance, and it only prolongs the process to interfere when not absolutely necessary.  If you catch them cuddling, then even if they are noisy at other times, it's okay.

If you start seeing fluffing up, arched backs, sidling (one rat moving his butt sideways into the other), that sort of thing, you might want to consider intervening.  If they tussle, observe what the aggressor's goal is.  If it's the neck, it's not serious antagonism; if the butt, keep a sharp eye out (that could be possible hostility, not just dominance).  There may be noise and there may be squeaking; this is normal.  Sometimes holding the two simultaneously can help, because it sends the message that you, the true alpha, consider both of them part of the mischief.  Vanilla on the neck and the rump (a small drop in each place) is supposed to help, though I've not seen it make a clear difference.  If they didn't lick the honey off each other, then smearing them with yoghurt isn't likely to work either.

Stressful experiences they could share would be a car ride in the same carrier, over a twisty, bumpy route with the radio fairly high.  Or time together in the tub with only a small island for them to take refuge on together as the water rises.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 10:58:09 PM »
Well they just had a little tussle. Looks like Irish doesn't want to share the igloo with Tobi. When I got over to the cage they both looked at me and Tobi went back to the space pod.

I check on both of them and didn't see any blood. I found one possible indent around the middle of Tobi's back, but no obvious injuries.

If I miss spelled anything it's because I'm using my iPad, which our instructors at school had us turn spell check and auto-correct off.

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 10:03:09 AM »
OMG!!! Today I woke up to Tobi and Irish sharing the igloo!  :hyper:

Offline ratsareausomepets

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
They are in love!!

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 02:42:07 PM »
So happy for you, MinervaThonosi! You deserved a break! May these boys become fat, cuddly, loving BFF squishies!
--Best, Mountaintop--

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »
Still good with Tobi and Irish?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 02:44:41 PM »
Yep. I even started introducing them to the girls. At fist Irish puffed up and made sure he looked big, but he eventually calmed down. Tobi just let the girls climb all over him. Zucchini seems to like to clean his ears.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 11:32:06 AM »
Yep. I even started introducing them to the girls. At fist Irish puffed up and made sure he looked big, but he eventually calmed down. Tobi just let the girls climb all over him. Zucchini seems to like to clean his ears.

That is adorable!

I got two girls for my boy Bartholomew, who had not gotten along with my other rats when he first arrived.  When I put the girls in the cage, he was all "Daddy, why u do dis 2 me?" and wanted out of the cage as much as possible.  But slowly, the daughter of the pair won him over, and now he'd rather cuddle with the girls than come out of the cage!

They are Holbrook rescues and very shy.  Apparently the mother was quite traumatized by the experience.  When they are all out together (a real stressor to the girls, so I don't do it often), Bartholomew hovers solicitously to make sure they are both okay. :heart:
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:33:44 AM by BigBen »
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n