Author Topic: Boy, did Neal say the wrong thing!  (Read 51 times)

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
Boy, did Neal say the wrong thing!
« on: November 13, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »
Our two girls live in a Critter Nation, in the lounge room (living room, front room, whatever you call that room in the front of the house where most of you gather on a daily basis).  We have company coming for the holidays, and some will have to sleep in that room, so we got out the My First Home cage (24x24x12 inches) for a temporary cage and they will go into our room. Daily out time with the grandkids, who are so happy they get to play with my girls!

Neal and our oldest were talking about the cages yesterday evening. The big cage has to be broken down and put into storage until everyone goes back home. Neal told Jason the "Girls got rehomed". Umm, NO THEY DIDN'T! I won't rehome these two sweethearts! I corrected him. LOUDLY! They are in a new cage, not rehomed. He realized what he said... ;-)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Boy, did Neal say the wrong thing!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 12:24:09 AM »
As a rat owner AND an adoptive mom, I "get" unwitting poor use of language. Then there's just stupid. Perhaps my favorite thing somebody asked me as I pushed tiny little Amy in a stroller was: New Yorker: "Where's she from?" Me: "China, near Nanchang." New Yorker: "Cool! What language will she speak?"
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:12:11 AM »
What language will she speak? LOL Ummm, French? German? Pretty sure English.

Yes, people will speak without really thinking. Neal realized what he had said almost as soon as he said it. He loves the girls too, so no, they aren't going anywhere.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:03:12 AM »
Some people try to educate their adopted kids in their birth culture, so it's not necessarily a totally stupid question.  My South African niece and nephew learned Zulu and Xhosa in school, as well as English.  (I don't believe they studied Afrikaans, though; I'll have to ask.)
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 08:16:03 PM »
BigBen's right. Before we knew we had ADHD, autism and other challenges in the mix as well as developmental delays, we tried Mandarin lessons. Great friend, great teacher, epic fail. But you had to be there. The inquirer also said, "You're so lucky! They make great scholars and always get into the best schools!" I can't imagine making that kind of assumption, even if positive. Can you imagine telling a black mother, "You're so lucky! They make such great [contraltos, rap singers, football stars, whatever stereotype.] She also asked, "How much did she cost?" Athough when I asked if she were considering adoption and concerned about the fee breakdown, she said, "No--just curious." So while I usually LOVED (probably too much) being an ambassador for international adoption, when we got to the language question Amy had already tried to answer for herself "Me Amy" and "Me amost two" so I let my inner snark out a little and said, "I don't know. We'll have to wait and see. Maybe Serbo-Croat." At that point the woman walked away looking bewildered and I, sad to say, was glad. 
--Best, Mountaintop--