Author Topic: Rats w/ tumors  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Dreamwolf

• Ritten
Rats w/ tumors
« on: February 28, 2015, 11:38:58 AM »
I have a 2.5 year old female rat who has grown a tumor in the last month that is now the size of her head. I've experienced tumors in rats before but even when my first male rat had cancer I never saw a tumor grow as fast as this mammary tumor. when I first noticed it on 1/29/15 I was about the size of a popcorn kernel now it is the size of my rats head. is this normal for a mammary tumor? I usually have very healthy rats so when I do encounter tumors they are small skin tumors. My vet wants $200 just to do a biopsy w/o removing it. To remove it wil cost an estimated $350-$400. Also I live in Maine in the Farmington area so if anyone knows a vet in the are who is more reasonable please do not hesitate to reply!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: Rats w/ tumors
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 02:21:42 PM »
Yes, tumors, especially mammary tumors, can indeed grow that fast, sorry.  The price you were quoted for tumor removal seems a bit high; it is the range my vet charges here in the Hudson Valley, which is not cheap.  But if this is a vet with rat experience, it might well be worth it.  Let's hope someone in your area can suggest a less expensive vet.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »
I wouldnt bother getting it biopsied. Just get it removed. The price for the removal isnt horrible, my vet charges around 200 but Ive always felt that was cheap compared to other places.

They can grow pretty quickly. I have a girl right now who needs one removed too. We are going to see about removing it in a week or so. Good luck with your girl. Spaying can help prevent more tumors, so if thats a possibility for you price wise, i would suggest looking into it.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline Dreamwolf

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 01:34:36 PM »
Took her to a vet that was referred to me, he did a scraping and looked at it under the microscope, it is cancer he did an Xray (which cost me $40) and found three other masses that are smaller but are all in her uterus. he has given me some meds for her pain but he says she will only live for another month at the most. The largest was removed along with her uterus but the cancer mostlikely has already spread, he determined her right eye as non functioning and depending on the blood tests he thinks she may have a tumor in her brain.

Thank you for the opinions and suggestions. btw the total cost was $400 with another $50 due when the blood tests come back. I have decided to let her pass in my home as comfortable as can be, she will be with her sisters just like her mom did before her and her grandmother before that. ( I have had Russian Blues for six generations now This is my last as even when put with a male from a reputable breeder not one of my four girls got pregnant which the vet says may be a sign that the other three are at risk for this same cancer)