Author Topic: I need advice and opinions for a new animal friend!  (Read 965 times)

Offline bug.dragon

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • To a loving rat you are the world
I need advice and opinions for a new animal friend!
« on: March 17, 2016, 12:26:34 AM »
So, I live abroad in Seoul, South Korea. I recently had some ratties that passed....Linneas to cancer, Squid to old age (2 years 4 months). I would like to get some more animal friends, but I'm not sure if I can go through the frequent heartbreaks...Linneas didn't even make it to 7 months :(

I truly do LOVE rats, and all my friends here know me as "the rat girl" (it's kinda a thing for me, haha). I took them EVERYWHERE with me: to my school where I taught (they loved playing with my students), on the bus, to the store, several waiters at local restaurants here knew that if I had my rainbow bag with me, it meant that I had some stowaways who would love some scritches during the breaks the staff had. I even took them to my modeling gigs, where more than one time, they stole the camera away from me, lol.

I would like to get another pet, but I'm debating between a rat, a hedgehog, or a sugar glider. I know rats are often better in pairs, but after the two boys I had were getting so aggressive, and females tend to be more hyperactive, I'd rather stick to one - they pretty much will only be in the cage at night to sleep, anyway. I've had hedgehogs before, but they were always rescues and less friendly than I'd like. I'd much rather get a baby with a good temperament this time around, if I go that route - after all, it'd be nice to have a friend that wants to spend time with me instead of being left in peace.

I guess what I'm asking is what do you think is best for a girl who lives in a city that likes to take around her animal friends with her? I know about rats being susceptible to tumors, and hedgehogs WHS, but I don't know much about sugar gliders...What are your pros and cons for each of these critters?

Thanks in advance!
A well-balanced person has a rat on each shoulder.
<:3 )~~ RIP Stella Baby and my other ratlets<:3*)~~

Pet's name: Nolita
Adopted by: Jill

Adopt your own![/URL

Offline gawgeouspaws

Re: I need advice and opinions for a new animal friend!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 03:55:14 PM »
Rats are definitely best in pairs or more; it's pretty much a non-negotiable. It's just really not fair of us to leave them without a friend. Having a friend to snuggle with/play with in a new place will honestly help them bond closer to you because they aren't nervous or stressed without a buddy. Girls are definitely hyperactive (in general, of course it always depends on the rat), so if you prefer boys but not their hormonal side, get your boys neutered. If left un-neutered, some boys can get really hormonal. Neutering just mellows them out and gives them a happier life. Also, getting just one boy won't solve hormonal aggression issues. A single boy might just direct his aggression towards you, if it gets to that point. Then you have a lonely, nippy rat.

I don't have much experience with hedgehogs, but I've definitely heard that they aren't super snuggly. Maybe getting a younger one would help, like you said? I've also heard that sugar gliders aren't exactly snuggle bugs either, but maybe they'd be happy to hide in your bag and hitch a ride around.

Honestly, I would go with rats again. The short lifespans are devastating, but they really are quite special pets.

(PS have you considered bunnies? A dwarf rabbit isn't too large, and they can be super interactive! The lifespan is much longer too)
currently snuggling mario
rip henrietta, penelope, and angus
came back to this forum again as of 1/23/2017