Author Topic: Bedding/litter  (Read 128 times)

Offline catemonster

Bedding/litter
« on: November 20, 2017, 11:04:48 PM »
Hi guys! So I decided instead of adopting (even though Iíd love to) Iím going to be fostering through mainely rat rescue. I pretty much have everything I need but I was curious about your opinions on the natural version of carefresh for their litter. I know thereís been some controversy but of course when I looked it up I couldnít find much. Itís all they really have around me. I will use aspen as an alternative I do love it and it has worked in the past but Iíd like to try something a little less messy. If thereís other alternatives you have in mind too please let me know! Thanks 😁

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: Bedding/litter
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 05:21:51 PM »
I prefer Eco-bedding, which is shredded and crinkled kraft paper (brown, unbleached, fairy heavy-duty, a lighter version of the type used in paper grocery bags), when I can get it.  Unfortunately, the last time I tried to order some, the cost of shipping was twice the price of the product.  (It would have been coming from California to New York.)  It is made by FiberCore LLC.

CareFresh makes a similar bedding that they used to call Krinkles, but I don't know if it's still available.  It made a viable substitute for Eco-bedding, but the place that ordered it for me stopped being able to get it in any color but godawful pink, which is what makes me think CareFresh was phasing it out.  I have tried to get a number of stores to special-order Eco-bedding or CareFresh for me, but all they do is take my number, promise to call, and apparently throw the request in the garbage.

I like the Eco-bedding best because it's dust-free, fluffs up wonderfully (so you should use less than you think you should), and the ratties love it.  Also, it's pretty good about staying in the cage.  When I used aspen shavings, they would get everywhere in the apartment and stick to my socks if I stepped on them.

Oxbow makes a shredded-paper bedding, but it's a different cut and shape from Eco-bedding and the CareFresh equivalent.  The Oxbow is more like tiny ripped-up pieces of paper of unequal size, and it's not crinkled, so it slides easily through the bars of the cage and gets everywhere.  It also sticks to everything.  It is adequate, though definitely second-best.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline purple rat

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »
I seem to recall that someone on the forum (Michael C perhaps??) really liked the crinkled kraft paper and was able to get large quantities at a cheap price from Staples.
I've been using the Pet Smart version of CareFresh -- it works really well, but it does seem to end up on my socks and gets dragged all over the house  :yelcutelaugh:
proud mama of Spock, Merlin, Goober & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter, Abbott & Bentley

Offline catemonster

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:00:08 PM »
So nothing necessarily negative health wise with carefresh? Bigben Iím sorry you had to go through all that trouble! Iíll see if I can find eco-bedding near me or somewhere I can order it. However if there isnít any real problems with carefresh I might just stick to that due to convenience. Thanks guys!

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 09:31:58 PM »
I was able to get big bags of kraft paper crinkles from Staples. Locally it was like 1 bag worth for a wedding gift. Lately we've been cheaping out with dustless paper pellet litter and fleece scraps.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »
Hi! Did I hear my name?
I purchased the 10 lb. box of crinkled Kraft paper for $18.29. I ordered it online and had it sent to my nearest Staples location. They called when it arrived and I drove out to pick it up.