Author Topic: 14 out of 22 rats were in hospital/UPDATE!9-8-04/ Three went back in!  (Read 13364 times)

Offline jen50schick

• Posts Too Much!
  • Still a dirty punk at heart!
Re: Seven out of 24 rats in hospital (UPDATED)
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2004, 02:23:26 PM »
Oh Sandy.  I've been checking back on this post periodically at work because I'm in such suspense.  I feel terrible.  You just must be so beside yourself.  You have to know though that you are so responsible in how your handle your babies.  You are one of the most educated rattie people on this whole forum.  I say this because I am constantly on this forum and always see you giving the utmost advice to others.  This isn't your fault.  You did everything you could.  Don't blame yourself. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of Kirby.  We were all thinking good thoughts and prayers for him, but he decided it was time to play over the rainbow bridge.  We are still thinking of you and the other ratties  :worry:

To Kirby, your mommy and all of your brothers and sisters miss you.   :heart: :heart:

We're all sending positive vibes  :heart:

Jen and the ratpack
For Daniel, Butterball, and Jack.....somewhere over the rainbow! 

Owned by Colby, Frank, Dean, Sammy, and Fink!

There's no excuse for animal abuse!

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2004, 03:50:20 PM »
Oh God, how horrible.   I'm so sorry you lost Kirby....I hope the rest of your babies can fight whatever this is, and pull through.

My thoughts are with you and yours.  May they make a speedy recovery.

Offline peacepony

• Posts Too Much!
  • {Renaissance Festival Addict}
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2004, 04:00:11 PM »
Oh Sugar, please don't blame yourself! Ever since I joined this forum near the beginning of the month, you have given me and many others so much good advice for us and our ratties. You obviously have a lot of knowledge in the way of small animals and I am positive that you had done everything in the best interest of your babies. I know you must be hurting something awful but I beg you to not beat yourself up over this. Accidents can happen to the most responsible people. I am so very sorry you lost Kirby, but from everything i've been reading on here many other lovable and friendly rats have been lost to the bridge as well so at least he will have very good company until you meet again.
Keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for the rest of your little ones.  :sad2:
Currently owned by: 5 rats {Sneezles, Fender, Stratocaster, Gonzo and Bubbles} 1 ratty loving boyfriend {Kelly} 1 dog {Mokie} and 6 cats {Missy, Diva, Celeste, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Squid and Buddha Bogtrotter}
Play hard at the bridge little Tulip, you were mommy's tiny flower

Offline rampantrats

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I love obediant humans
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2004, 04:26:48 PM »
Oh wow. This the first time reading this. I am so sorry this is happening to you and your babies.

I am sorry you lost Kirby. I hope the rest of them recover soon and that no more get sick.

{{{HUGS}}}

Don't Anger the Faires!!

Offline PinkPaws

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a sucker for a furry face.
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2004, 05:53:30 PM »
I am with Peacepony.....you were such support to me, also. It must feel terrible to have things run so amuck! Don't forget to take care of yourself too....your Ratties need your confidence and support.  Hang in there....
Currently Harboring:
~~~~
No more ratties.:(  Ruby and Roxy passed in May '07 from a strep virus. Riley was PTS Oct 07 inoperable reoccuring mass. Guinea Pigs, Suey and Carmela.
Basenji, Cairo. Red Eared Slider, Turtilla
One-legged Cockatiel, Hoppy 
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Buster

Offline DebW

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • "That teacher with all the weird animals!"
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2004, 06:11:43 PM »
My heart just sank when I read the updates.  I'm so sorry for your loss and so sorry you're going through this.  From personal experience (SDA with 16 rats a year ago) I know how absolutely horrible it is to see so many of your babies sick.  I also know how exhausting caring for them can be. Huge *HUGS* to you and your rattie kids and I hope this stops soon.
Deb and the wonderful memories of all the past fur kids I've known and loved.

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2004, 06:16:09 PM »
 :heart:  *hugs*  We lost several to a bacterial infection last month.  Have your vet test for Pseudomonus (sp?).  Strat was fine, then, about eight hours later he died.  Wet noses, respiratory symptoms, all are things we had.  It took a cocktail of Baytril and tri-meth sulfa to get rid of ours.  All the rats, twice a day for two weeks.  Good Luck. 
Ratless

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
  • once upon a time my heart got stolen by rats
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2004, 07:00:57 PM »
I'm very sorry you lost Kirby. There have been so many losses, I don't understand the world anymore. Kirby is painfree now.
I'm glad to hear everybody else is improving.
Thinking of you,
 :heart:
Currently owned by Jasper,Gopher,Anabelle+Anastasia,Donut+Vivian+Franklin+Guido+Round1+Round2 babies, Dot+Orca,Marie+Rene+Nicola,Libbie,Annie,Melanie+Espresso (rats).Velvet+Dancer (bunnies).Porcellina+Skunk (pigs).Cercira (hamster) and Bandit (dog).
Our angels in heaven, we will always love you!

Sugarfoxx

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2004, 10:48:36 PM »
Right now I have two girls that are pretty sick.  Mocha is not doing the greatest and Sugar...she is loaded with porphrin around her eyes.  All of them have wet noses or porphyrin...ALL of them.

Today the wild baby is sneezing.........I must have carried something to her.  She seems ok so far......dumbo babies are ok.........Peanut.........I dont want to OMEN anything.

They are now on Baytril and Amoxil.

I just dont know.............I have been so busy with them.........dosing all of them etc....

My stomach is in knots.
I PRAY the boys do ok at the clinic tonight.  Grayson was the worst out of the bunch besides Kirby.
I hate that he died alone. Its haunting me.
One thing is he didnt attach himself to me and wanted to be alone when he was real sick.  He fought me to get down and wanted to just sit in the bottom of the cage and breathe real heavy.
I am going to miss that grumby boy so much. It hasnt hit me yet.  None of it has.
I cant eat.......hardly slept.......just walking around in disbelief that this happened to my rats...MY RATS!   

I am not going to take Nubs, Bonnies rat, and I have asked that Angelratgirl take my place.
I am scared to death now to bring anyone else NEAR THIS HOUSE.

I called Debbie D tonight and she said it also sounded like Strep too..........we will know in a few more days.
Thanks for everyones support. I will try to get on here everyone once in a while with updates.

Offline Grace

• Posts Too Much!
  • Don't shop, adopt!
    • Graceful Moose Diapers
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2004, 10:51:59 PM »
He did a necropsy and Kirbys lungs were a mess.  He sent tissue samples and blood (checking for STREP  too)

We had necropsies done here on Rio and Merlin.  They looked fine, except their lungs were a huge mess.  I THINK the tissue samples came back pos. for strep pnemonia (sp?), but I don't recall for sure.  Then the blood came back pos for myco, PVM (a 'mouse virus' that doesn't affect rats) and SDA.

I'm so sorry you lost Kirby.  :(   I really hope you don't lose anyone else.  I'll be keeping you and your babies in my thoughts.  Whatever you do though, please don't blame yourself!  You took all the steps you could to prevent anything from happening.  It's not your fault.   *hugs*

Visit us at Mainely Rat Rescue
Don't forget to visit our STORE

Offline Rat Breeder123

• I love my ratties!
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2004, 11:18:02 PM »
 :sad2:Awww... Poor Kirby... I am so sorry that happened... I cried so hard when my Barney died,  I still do. I hope they all make it ok  :( :'( :-\ Kirby has no more pain though, he went to the rainbow bridge. I never thought there would be such a desease out there that just makes me shiver, please just don't blame yourself... I hope they are curable, I really do... Your pretty tough if you can juggle around all those ratties, I will definately think about this and stay in tune with your post, I send out my deapest Sympothy  :sad2:
Mother of 6 rats
1. Ben (Black Berky Male)
2. Socrates (Tan Hooded Male)
3. Borage (Rex Hairless Male)
4. Sapphire (Albino Female mommy of 11)
5. Sage (Black/cinnamon hooded female)
6. Scarlett (Black veriberk)
I will Always remember my first rat Barny Love ya boy :(

Offline Bonnie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Professional Treat Dispenser
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2004, 11:50:03 PM »
Oh Sandy, I've just read this (more or less skimmed, but read your posts). I can't even imagine how you must feel right now.  Please know we are praying for you and your rats.

Nubs is fine here, as long as she needs to be here. I can't keep her permanently, but Jeremy will understand if we need to keep her for a few more months- or however long. Unless of course you'd rather her be adopted by Melissa. Either way. She is in no danger staying here.

I just hope that you figure out whatever this mess is, and get it cured quick!

Did the autopsy give you any clue what this evil thing is?  How much do you trust your vet to diagnose correctly?  Sometimes it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion. I think Melissa's vet would be a good one to ask.... from what I've heard, she has a very good vet.
~Bonnie~

www.petfinder.com --Adopt a pet, save a life!

Sugarfoxx

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2004, 07:02:42 AM »
Everyone at home made it (three med. sick rats home)  vet says he doesnt have more room for them if they cant be together since he has 6 rats that  are broken in two groups and cant be in one tank. 
Thats kinda crappy huh?  So if I can bring home some that may be improving and bring in the three that need to....or bring them in for injections so it gets working faster? 

I dont know. 

I slept oh.........about.......3 hours.

Bonnie......thanks for saying you would wait for me to take her. I REALLY want her  but know that Mel would be great with her too....
I will think about what the heck is happening here first though before I would ever consider ANY RAT here again ........but it sucks that here I fall in love with a rat via her photo and planned on her future here and look at this mess I have.
I am on this kick........WHY MY RATS.......ya know..........a pity party sort of.
But really.........why my rats?  What did I do wrong? 
I feel like I am the last person that has the right to tell ANYONE how to prevent an epidemic with their colonies ever again.  I know you will all say dont blame myself but its real hard not to wonder why........how.........

And think about Kirby and how unnecessary his death was.....and how unnecessary it is that some of my rats are feeling really lousy right now and dont understand why.

THe love these rats have...........the girls wont leave the two sicker girls side.  They are grooming them......laying on them.......taking care of them.

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
  • once upon a time my heart got stolen by rats
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2004, 11:15:06 AM »
WHY MY RATS???

I know this question. 

You are strong to go through this. You have to be.
Hugs, Sandy, everything will be clear one day.
angelratgirl will be fantastic to Nubs. Can you go and visit Nubs when everything is clear? You could bring her tons of treats and love that way maybe?
I know, my words don't make your current situation any better.
I'm sorry.
Currently owned by Jasper,Gopher,Anabelle+Anastasia,Donut+Vivian+Franklin+Guido+Round1+Round2 babies, Dot+Orca,Marie+Rene+Nicola,Libbie,Annie,Melanie+Espresso (rats).Velvet+Dancer (bunnies).Porcellina+Skunk (pigs).Cercira (hamster) and Bandit (dog).
Our angels in heaven, we will always love you!

Offline ratlovergalore

• Love 'em rats!
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2004, 12:25:12 PM »
Sandy, how horrifying!!!! I haven't talked to you lately but I just read the posts about your poor situation.  Is there anything I can do??? ??? You have done everything you could possibly do from the sounds of it.  Do not blame yourself!!

Keep us posted as to how they are doing!  My hugs to all there!  Roxanne
Rox & the zoo ...
Hunca Munca, Mama Mia, Stuart, Squeek, Eek, Snuggles, Bugs & bambinos yet named!  Molly, Mattie, Sophie, Bear Bear, Bob, Callie, Powder & Honey Bunny!

Offline peacepony

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2004, 01:33:52 PM »
I think maybe you should just wait this out and find out what's going on and then take Nubs when everything is cleared out and back to normal. I know you would be an awesome mommy for her, but ultimately the choice is yours of course. *more hugs*  Best of luck, and as much as I know your blaming yourself and questioning everything, just remember that we are all here for you and you will regain your feet and your confidence with time.  :heart:
Currently owned by: 5 rats {Sneezles, Fender, Stratocaster, Gonzo and Bubbles} 1 ratty loving boyfriend {Kelly} 1 dog {Mokie} and 6 cats {Missy, Diva, Celeste, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Squid and Buddha Bogtrotter}

Sugarfoxx

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2004, 02:03:34 PM »
I dont want to jinx this but the two really weak sick girls have shown some improvement and same for Bobbles (the PEW that lives with the three boys that are in the hospital)
In fact........those three are possibly coming home today.  I am going up in about an hour or so.
Anyhow....the three triplets (my big black berks) are staying another night and are a bit dehydrated........which is why I am getting up there ASAP to see what they are doing and WHY they are dehydrated if they are under proper care :worry:  I am bringing stuff in like watermelon etc...too.
also....nobody else seems to be any worse either which is a positive sign.

I am still all full of anxiety though.  I have this constant gnawing feeling that wont stop. I am sure its anxiety but i never had to deal with this before, especially waiting and not knowing what is next.
The whole thing started Monday with Parker and Tuesday everyone got worse...yesterday was the day I was getting things situated and today seems like I MAY be seeing light at the end of the tunnel.
I hope.
I pray.

I also want to thank EVERYONE for caring and their support your giving me.

I have not even had time to mourn Kirby properly.   I cried when I heard he died........cried as I washed his hammocks (I am keeping them) and pretty much lost it when I found his stash of snacks he pushed out of the cage making a big pile in the corner.  He didnt realize once he pushed them in that corner they would fall out and be gone.  Poor boy! 
I never knew how old he was but he was starting to "rust"  on his black fur which usually means age........but I have seen it happen in rats that just turned one years old too.

Keep your fingers crossed that I can bring the three boys home to be with Bobbles.  He misses them.  He wont come out of his ball.  He will go and get a mouthful of food....and go back to the ball to eat.   He isnt feel the greatest I know..but I know a big part of it is missing his three other brothers.  If he were that sick he wouldnt eat. 

anyhow........oh and Roxanne...the dumbos are not really sick so dont worry.  A fast sneeze or a sniffle and thats it.  They are on meds too.

Offline tabbyrat

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I'm a rat slave!
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2004, 02:12:54 PM »
*HUGS Sandy*  :heart:

I am so sorry hun..  You know this could happen to anyone  :BlueDumboBigEyes:  And you know you did everything right to prevent it  :-\
Own by the Rats:  Lanie, Haggrid, Baxter, Peaches & Kiwi
Forever in my heart- Tabby, Kitty, Cicero, Harry, Dobbie, Clarity, Ron, Snookie, Fang, Charmin and Rex.
Can't forget the cats Moca and Egypt bad cat
and Our Scaly Monty Python

Offline peacepony

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2004, 02:13:20 PM »
I hope that things are going to start turning up for you. *shoves good vibes at all the negative ones around you* Thank you for keeping us updated even as you're having to deal with all of this! *hugs*

Offline Calviness

• Posts Too Much!
  • always with me
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2004, 05:06:07 PM »
Sandy,

I have followed this thread for a few days and haven't said anything because I honestly don't know what to say.  Except I'm so sorry that this is happening to you.  And please don't blame yourself.  You couldn't have known.  You take great care of your rats and they're loved and they have happy lives with you.  That makes you a great rat owner.  Period.
www.anyratrescue.org

I am not to speak to you, I am to think of you when I sit alone
or wake alone at night.
I am to wait, I do not doubt that I am to meet you again.
I am to see to it that I do not lose you.

Calvin - November 2003 - December 2, 2005

Offline nimue_draganawolf

• Posts Too Much!
    • Nimue's Haven Rat Rescue
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2004, 05:37:48 PM »
I am so sorry.  I really don't know what else to say.  Please don't beat yourself up over this, you did everything in your power to prevent this. 
Nim
Alpha, Beta, Revan, Sabe, Corde, Yane, and Rabe (the permanant Rat Pack) and the Rattie Residents of Nimue's Haven Rat Rescue

Play hard at the Bridge Moose, Lucy, Mulder, Fox, and Bastila.

Sugarfoxx

Re: TEN out of 24 rats in hospital (UPDATED)
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2004, 06:08:09 PM »
Spoke too soon

Charlotte, Pitter, Mocha and Sugar are at the vets.   I didnt bring the three other boys home either.  One more day there we think is best.

Pitter is having a hard time breathing.   Sugar and Mocha were improving but I feel they need injections too.........Charlotte seemed to be getting kind of weak.

So now a total of 10 rats are there.   :puppy_dog_eyes:

Offline peacepony

• Posts Too Much!
Re: TEN out of 23 rats in hospital (UPDATED AGAIN- August 26)
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2004, 07:22:07 PM »
 :BlueDumboBigEyes: I can't believe all of this! you must be so upset. :( **SUPER hugs** I wish I could do more for you.  :sad2:

Offline Bonnie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Professional Treat Dispenser
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2004, 09:43:47 PM »
Oh no that's not the news I wanted to read when I signed on to check up on this.

You are an awesome rat mom, please don't blame yourself.  Those rats couldn't have a better mommy right now.

I told one of the girls who volunteers with the cat rescue here- she knows about Nubs and asked about her-- I told her about your rats and she almost cried too. She is praying for your rats too.
~Bonnie~

www.petfinder.com --Adopt a pet, save a life!

Sugarfoxx

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2004, 06:43:57 AM »
Within an hour I will know who made it through the night and who didnt.

My stomach feels like it is a big knot.

Keep praying and thank you so much for your support.