Author Topic: Sick! Sad Update 8/8 Wyatt is gone  (Read 12390 times)

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • why do rat noses fit so perfectly in your ears...
when i left, jason seemed fine. and that was yesterday. rufio was also good, such a romancer. even ernie looked good and he was trying so hard to get my girls to look at him, especially my cherry. (ernie loves the 'blondes').

i think the preventive measures arlene took will save the little boys, too.

it is so hard not to think about how this happened. but i know self-blame will only hinder our positive thoughts. there has to be a reason for this, but only our bridge rats know, and they are not telling us.

Offline Arlene

• Posts Too Much!
  • Be kind to every living thing!
Re: Virtually ALL of my rats are sick! Update 7/23/06 - better?
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2006, 04:19:49 PM »
As of today, no one else has come down with whatever this is. I'm hoping the worst is over.
Arlene & my 6 rats, 2 mice, 2 ferrets, 9 cats (3 house kitties,3 feral, 3 fosters), 3 dogs Missing: 135 rats, 15 ferrets, 5 cats, 7 dogs

Offline BaraLahatiel

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodere Rattery and Rescue
    • Rodere Rattery
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2006, 05:21:51 PM »
I'm very glad to hear that! I hope everyone is getting better.
Our first litter was born March 25th, 2008!!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2006, 05:30:30 PM »
Could it have been a virulent form of Myco that your poor rats hadn't been exposed to?  A friend I know had her 10 rats get sick very quickly and she almost lost 3.  They found the right combo of meds and are now improving but it was very very close.  :(

Offline Arlene

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2006, 08:03:49 PM »
I don't know what it was, but that is definitely a possibility. I could have one tested, but that's so expensive and it's not going to bring little Lucas back. I'm still holding my breath though. I'm afraid to hope the devastation is over for fear someone else will get sick or die. It's not a good time for us.
Arlene & my 6 rats, 2 mice, 2 ferrets, 9 cats (3 house kitties,3 feral, 3 fosters), 3 dogs Missing: 135 rats, 15 ferrets, 5 cats, 7 dogs

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2006, 08:46:26 PM »
I'm sorry Arlene, I don't normally pray but I am praying for you and your ratties tonight.  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

ARG?  Everyone is improving at your end?

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2006, 11:30:01 PM »
my girls have made it very clear they want to come home NOW! now now now now now NOW!

unfortunately the earliest i can get them is about 7 30 (even tho the vet opens at 8 - the benefits of being well known there).

i got fresh litter and even splurged on a box of eco litter for them to burrow in. and i just need to get some baby food and mashed potatoes and soymilk after work tomorrow.

Offline Beth

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2006, 03:02:58 AM »
Arlene and ARG,

I am so pleased to hear that things are at least stable, not getting any worse. Sounds like you might be over the worst of it now. I'll still keep my fingers crossed though, just for a little while longer!

Beth

Offline Arlene

• Posts Too Much!
Caden has taken a turn for the worst. He's one of the ones I was watching because he got sick early on and has been slower to recover than the others. He's lost weight and is lethargic. His breathing is labored although he's not anywhere near gasping. I've switched him from the baytril/doxy combo to the chloraphemicol that Wyatt is on and am also giving him theophylline and PRAYING! He did eat his oatmeal on his own this morning so that's a positive sign. Thanks for the continuing support! It means a lot! Keep those healing vibes coming! Maybe we can pull him out of this!

Offline kit

• Posts Too Much!
 :BlueDumboBigEyes: I am so sorry to hear about your terrible ordeal.  I hope Caden gets better.  He is lucky to have such a loving rattie mom :heart:  I hope all the other rats continue to improve.  This has been a long haul for you and angelratgirl and I hope everyone comes out on the positive.
RATS...you can't stop at just one!!!
Owned by Belle, Blue, and Oreo! RIP Bear, Speckle, Sally, and Kit, we miss you:(
Non-rattie kids...Tigger, Princess, Max and Mr. Hanky!

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
oh no, not caden... uh, which one is he again?

yesterday i sat outside the doctor's office for half an hour, hoping maybe one of the caretakers would be in, or come in, and i could steal a snuggle with my girls. my girls are home now, and they got some rice this morning which they almost choked on trying to eat before anyone else could steal it from them. celia was so happy to see me she just sat in my arms and kept an eye on me except when she couldn't stifle a yawn or two. she is so thin, i need to get lots of baby food and good fattening stuff.

i can't wait to get home again to cuddle them each. i can almost feel how happy celia is to be home, where everything is as it should be.

my girls are on zithromax because i had started them out on doxy/batril and the doctor wanted to go more agressive with the treatment. and the bill was half what i expected it to be.

i will tell my girls to give positive thoughts to your boys.

Offline scout

• Patriot for Peace
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
I'll keep everything tightly crossed for Caden and the rest. Have you considered trying nebulizing? It's worked so well for my crew when I thought I'd reached the end.
Scout

Offline star2

• Posts Too Much!
Hang in there Caden!!
*sending super strong healing vibes*
~*Katie*~
Play hard at the bridge Aggie, Daisy, Fiona, Scarlett, and Robin

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Sending healing thoughts to all the sick kids...    *hugs* Arlene.  I'm so sorry about Lucas.

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
right now cherry is my worst off. even tho she weighs more than any of the others, she is of course, too thin. i think she has one swollen lymph node in her neck.

i gave her some honey mixed with water and a couple of drops of white vinegar to help her thoat feel better. usually swollen lymph means sore scratchy thoat. the vinegar will help her system get rid of nasty yuckies in her lungs. she bruxed a little bit afterwards while i held her for an hour. my sweet cherry blossom.

everyone else attacked their dinner of rice in soymilk, greenbean babyfood, and mashed 'nanas.

now i just need to figure out how to serve the avacado i got. do i just peel and mash, or what?

Offline BaraLahatiel

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rodere Rattery and Rescue
    • Rodere Rattery
Mine like me to just cut it into little pieces for them. They hold it and chew their little hearts away and then come running for more. I don't care for it myself. More for them lol
Our first litter was born March 25th, 2008!!

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
everyone is still here and most are getting better, but cherry is having a hard time breathing and her throat is still swollen. and my doctor called this morning and he said he thinks it is SDA. (he actually called mostly because they charged me too much for my visit).

i am sooooo sorry, arlene. give caden some lovin from me. we caught this pretty early and i doubt anyone else will catch it/get worse.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
Oh no!  Arlene and ARG you are in my thoughts!!!   SDA isn't prevalent here in Canada so its not the first thing I think of.  Arlene, do you have the affected eyes, and lymph nodes on any of your rats?  Its been more than 7 days since they were ill, so an ELISA test won't help you anymore since the virus has shed.   :'(
I guess you just have to keep them on meds, and pray til it passes out of the colony.

Offline OrlandoBloomnut

• Posts Too Much!
  • I am no longer a ratty mom :(
oohh i will keep you both in my prayers  :'(
I am owned by:
1 dog Misty
Gone but not forgotten:Diamond & Citrine. Quiche & Dini and now Sweetness
I miss you .

Offline Arlene

• Posts Too Much!
Caden is still with us. He's one of the agouti twins, Derry's boy. He sounds terrible, so lethargic, but is still eating a little on his own. About every hour I either offer him something to drink or encourage him to drink from his water bottle. I'm still very concerned about him though, but don't know what else to do. No one else has gotten sick so far. Only some of the boys are still sneezing and a bit under the weather still but generally everyone is ok. I haven't seen any eye problems, thank goodness, other than being sensitive to light and having their eyes half closed. I haven't noticed that anyone has had swollen throats either. I wouldn't be surprised if it was SDA though. A lot of the symptoms do fit. As I said before though, the most important issue here is not what it is or where we got it, just that as many as possible make it thru this. This is so difficult to bear.

Liz, thanks for the info. What exactly does it mean that the virus has shed? Is that a good thing? I'm grasping for straws here but am hoping things will be better soon.

Thanks to everyone for their support!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
Liz, thanks for the info. What exactly does it mean that the virus has shed? Is that a good thing? I'm grasping for straws here but am hoping things will be better soon.

Everytime I see "Liz" I keep thinking its someone else, if you want you can call me Shelagh, or Spaz or Liz is just fine too.   ;)

I had a suspected case of SDA and had to do a lot of research.  It was very very confusing as a lot of people had different opinions.   :-\   Its good to know what you are dealing with (don't worry how it got there, because it could be anything at all).
this is from ratguide.com

SDA is a self-limiting disease. There is no treatment for SDA. It must run its course and will clear up within 7-10 days. After antibodies have been made as a natural response to the virus the affected rat will be immune (only) to that particular strain.

Treament for secondary bacterial infections that often accompany this particular viral infection, and seen most often in very young, and very old rats, or those rats that are immunosuppressed are as follows:

Adult rats: Broad-spectrum antibiotics such as those used for mycoplasmic respiratory infection given at the maximum dosage for 3-4 weeks. Refer to the Rat Medication Guide for broad spectrum antibiotics.
*Note: Treatment with antibiotics must be aggresssive to be effective.*

For eyes, use a topical ophthalmic antibiotic ointment. Lubricate with natural “tears” to help with dryness.

http://ratguide.com/health/viruses/sda.php

Not all rats even show symptoms (these are the carriers) but most will have some of the symptoms.

Shedding the virus means still contagious.

Here's another good site.
http://www.petratscanada.com/sda.htm

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
i need to tell bella (one of the creators of the ratguide) to add one more thing.

even if you don't see swelling of the throat, to feel for it. cherry has swelling in her throat which i felt but could not see. i took her back to my doctor who said he felt it was sda even before i said it, and he gave me some melexocam to give for the swelling and pain. her swelling has gone down considerably and she is resting much easier, piled together with the other girls, while yesterday she was trying desparately to get out of the cage to me and could not even get comfortable with me.

Offline menagerie

• Posts Too Much!
I'm sorry that you are both going through this. It's never easy when your rats are sick, it's even worse when it hits on everyone. We were hit with strep pneumonia a few years ago.  :heart: 

I disagree with not needing to know what it is though. Personally, I would have an ELISA run to determine the cause. If it is SDA you both need to be in a 3 month quarantine. The 3 months needs to start with the last rat getting better. No rats in, no rats out and no visiting with other rats. You need to do this for the safety of your own rats and others.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.  ~ Margaret Fuller

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
The reason I didn't bother with an ELISA is the lab wouldn't run it since my girl had been sick over the 7 active days of the virus...confusing.

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
the testing isn't done during the active phase of the virus, it is done when the rats have formed antibodies to the SDA virus, aka- on the mend. the ratguide states:

NOTE: Before having blood drawn for an ELISA test you must allow time for antibodies to develop. This will take 2 to 3 weeks after the initial exposure (1-2 weeks after clinical symptoms appear). Testing a clinically ill rat can often result in false negative results.

i think i am gonna have my cherry tested, because i can afford it right now more than arlene can, especially since she needs to medicate so many rats. i will print out everything my vet needs and see if he will send it.