Author Topic: I'm getting a rattie and wondering if I have everything  (Read 8562 times)

Offline HalloweenRatLover

• Mmm, coka-cola!
Re: I'm getting a rattie and wondering if I have everything
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2009, 09:32:01 PM »
ok thx I mailed you  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline ThaRatChick

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Blackers :)
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
OMG that's right eeek! How will I know what food is good or not or or what people food we can and can't share! Yikes any help?
For food, most recommend a high quality lab block, like Harlan Teklad (widely used, must get over internet), Mazuri (not the best, but availible in petstores, overpriced compared to harlan), or Oxbow Regal Rat (many rats won't eat this). Other suggest certain dog foods, i don't know much about that so hopefully someone else will chime in.Many also feed a supplement diet of Suebees rat mix (google it, or goosemoose search it). Basically the worst thing you can feed them is seed mix.  :icon_puke_r:
Here's a link to forbidden foods.
http://www.petratscanada.com/forbidden_foods.htm
Some treat my rats love are-
Banana, Chicken, Any meat, Small amounts of cheese, nuts, cereal, carrots, strawberries, pretty much any fruit or veggie, etc.
\
What bedding are you using?
It's ASA!EXCLAIMATIONPOINT!

Offline trentsheba

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2009, 09:35:20 PM »
You can call it naivete or just optimism, but I don't see it as a waste of breath.  Let's give her a little credit here.  She gave attitude at first, but when you have someone you know and trust telling you you're doing everything right, and a bunch of strangers you've only met online telling you you're doing it all wrong, you're likely to be skeptical of them.  However, she is listening, even if she's not going right along with everything that's said.  She's getting her a cage instead of keeping with the idea of an aquarium.  She will probably get her a friend, even if it takes time.  

We all want what's best for this little rat, but people have to decide what advice they will or won't take.  We all know you can't trust everything on the internet and there are a lot of so called experts ready and willing to give wrong and sometimes even dangerous advice.  So, as a first timer, how is she supposed to know who to believe?  There are even books and magazines about rats that say keeping only one is okay if you give them enough time.  We are just people on a forum.  All we can do is hope she'll take our advice.  I just think it's way too early to judge how good or bad of a rat parent she'll be or to just give up on her.  

She seems to have stopped the attitude she had at first, now let's just cool down and give her a break.  

Pets name: Ben
 Moe

Offline Pumpkinseed

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2009, 09:42:36 PM »
I agree with everyone that it was frustrating in the beginning.. but like Corpseflower said some of us have been messaging her and trying to help her..
I actually spend a good hour on CL and Kijiji looking for a cage for her and found the one she's planning on getting.
If someone doesnt' help her  when she doesnt know what to look for how will she know any better??
Mommy to: 7 Furbabies; Bug, Boo, Banana, Kazoo, Elliot, Simon and Duncan,
and one skin Baby; Little Miss Lily-Bug

Offline Pumpkinseed

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2009, 09:43:45 PM »
Actually, here's a pretty good food guide from another rat forum I use.  I usually consult this before feeding my rats something new.
http://www.ratforum.com/index.php/topic,3079.0.html
haha thanks I've been looking for that :P
Mommy to: 7 Furbabies; Bug, Boo, Banana, Kazoo, Elliot, Simon and Duncan,
and one skin Baby; Little Miss Lily-Bug