Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 15652 times)

Offline D

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
Re: HELP!
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2010, 10:17:51 PM »

Agreed, probably not the normal situation.  BUT, I'm also not a teeny bopper that bought one from the pet store and threw it in a fishbowl in a dark corner of a forgotten room.

I'm old, they're beside my bed, and obviously I seek out the information I need when in doubt.

Huge challenge?  Yup.  But a little bit of credit and faith. Yes?

Hmmm..sounds like you have a bad case of GGMR! That is "gotta-get-more-rats"!  ;) Rats are very addictive!

I am glad that you took up the challenge and adopted those little ones. You may need to get another cage once they start growing though and split them into groups. Your kids can help with cage cleaning and care, too..I think it will be a lot of fun caring for all your little ones and involving your kids in the duties as well. And like you mentioned, you're an adult, with funds to provide quality vet care to them, as well as shelter, food, etc..I think they've found a great home with you.

You should try to litter train them, since they are so young..11 boys making poos would be easier to spot clean if they were litter trained and made their poos in one spot.

Best of luck to you and your little troop!

Offline KatSnRats

« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2010, 10:59:22 PM »
I don't think that any of your new boys are ugly!  They are adorable!  As well as your original mischief. 

Hey, I had a mischief of 21 male rats at one point in time.  They were separated into three different colonies in three different giant cages.  We didn't have to neuter anyone.  I think that you'll be alright since they are all young while you are integrating them.

CongRATS!
<br />Pets name: (Daedalus)<br />Adopted by: (Kat)<br />Adopt your own!<br />Owned by:  Six darling man rats and five hyper girlies

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2010, 11:13:08 PM »
Hey, don't feel too bad. I've got 18 goofballs over here myself. :P And you're in my area. Hasta be something in the water! I forget if I offered before, but I have a great rat vet, she nueters for $90, if you want the number, feel free to PM me.

Offline mary_menville

« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2010, 04:22:08 AM »
BABIES!

I really sympathize with your GGMR, my partner got me two lovely girls for my birthday and ever since I lurk craigslist for any rescues, ESPECIALLY babies.  Plus, thanks for rescuing those poor feeder babies, they need a good home  :thumbsup2:

Offline Crap

« Reply #179 on: January 17, 2010, 08:11:04 AM »
No, of course they're not REALLY ugly.  I guess I was a little shocked that they look quite a bit different than mine.  Might I add, I went and got them blind, didn't see them at all.

I'm tooling through cages on eBay, and will definitely obtain another.

I literally spent hours introducing them into the cage one at a time, uncertain if there'd be any animosity with the others and to make sure there wasn't a particularly grumpy butt.  Everybody played like lunatics.

The only one with I could even come up with a slight issue so far is Hector.  He's the smallest and doesn't want to be around ANYbody.  So he got babied half the night and he's quite sweet, just nervous I guess.

Me and the whole crew played ball with frozen peas all night and everybody seems to be healthy and in good spirits.

RattieSix...YES!  Won't even begin to pout over what my vet charges for an OFFICE visit for one lil rattie.

-German Shepherd, Julie
-BullMastiff, Thai
-Mutant black cat, Krueger
-9 ft Boa, Freck
-New Momma rat, Shelly and her babies...Footfoot, Frofro, Foofoo, Fifi, and Fernando

Offline Crap

« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2010, 09:37:25 AM »
Here's a clip of the two extra needy, whiny, spoiled, demanding boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTMQfifNtm8
-German Shepherd, Julie
-BullMastiff, Thai
-9 ft Boa, Freck
-New Momma rat, Shelly and her babies...Footfoot, Frofro, Foofoo, Fifi, and Fernando

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2010, 09:53:45 AM »
Frofro's going to town on your pinkie lol. very cute love the markings.

Offline Nat Loves Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • My sweethearts, Alice and Rosalie <333
    • Rat Love
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »
Lol. 'Kay, sounds good I guess  ;). And I didn't mean anything offensive to people with rattie numbers in the teens, just surprised that a new rattie owner was taking on 11 more. Haha.

And the only reason I thought you may decide rats aren't for you is because you came upon them so suddenly, and, well, by accident, heh, that... I dunno. ::)

They are very cute :)

ETA: Omgoodness they've grown!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:18:21 AM by Nat Loves Rats »

Offline Crap

« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2010, 10:27:07 AM »
"Omgoodness they've grown!"

No kiddin', right?  I'm a bad Mom and have lost track, but they should be in the 8-9 week vicinity and they are HUGE. 

I think they look fantastic and they're obviously loved.   ;)  You can see how much they hate me.  heh 

Plain to see that FootFoot is still the pick of the litter and a big fat Momma's boy.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:30:16 AM by Crap »
-German Shepherd, Julie
-BullMastiff, Thai
-9 ft Boa, Freck

Offline Crap

« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2010, 10:29:02 AM »
Just looked...they'll be 9 weeks old tomorrow.   :party:
-German Shepherd, Julie
-BullMastiff, Thai
-9 ft Boa, Freck

Offline Nat Loves Rats

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Love
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2010, 10:43:58 AM »
Eeee! Squee! Wow time flies, huh?

My girls are almost 9 months.  :puppy_dog_eyes:

Offline zelle

« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »
Just a point of interest if this ever happens again (one never knows when the GGMR will strike!): ALWAYS quarantine new rats. You could have ended up transferring something terrible from the new rats to your current rats. This includes something that can be deadly. Quarantine means separate air space (meaning whole other house if possible and washing hands and changing clothes between visits) for 3-4 weeks to make sure they are healthy and won't spread anything that could wipe out the whole rat colony you have there. Just be sure next time (again- if there is a next time) to quarantine. There's nothing more important when you first get a new rat (or 11...) than following that step.
The Fur kids:
Rats- Pixel, Pandora, Penny and Notch
Cockatiels- Oreo and Rosie

Playing on the Rainbow Bridge: Asuka, Picassa, Squishy and Peanut

Offline Rattiesmitten

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2010, 04:17:01 PM »
Hey, did your lil' FootFoot's stub ever get a callous on it?  I was thinking about him the other day and was wondering how it was doing...
Currently smitten with Sandy, Dusty, Ringo, Pretty Boy, Radar and Tigger.

Any many more already at the Bridge - mama loves you all!

Offline JesB

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »
... Everyone ... just STOP ... stop having babies ... you make me want BABIES!! GIMME THE FREEEEAKIN BABIES NOW AND NO ONE GETS HUURRTS!

Offline Nat Loves Rats

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Love
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2010, 06:49:46 PM »
Er...Jes? Do you mean getting rattie babies or having human babies? ROTFLMAO... quote "stop having babies" makes me think human... lol!

JW. ::)

Offline JesB

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2010, 09:18:25 PM »
haha ... rattie babies ... no huuuman babies for me

Offline Nat Loves Rats

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Love
« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2010, 07:31:18 PM »
Thought so :wink5:

Offline JesB

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2010, 02:07:27 AM »
I tend to find ... human babies rather ... gross for the most part.  Once they hit that stage where they can wipe their own butttts, maybe.  LOL.  Kate wants babies tho ... so ... who knows.  But ... baby baby ratties ... omgggggggggg CUTEEES!  *steals and vanishes!* minemineminemineminemineFREEEEAKINMINE!!

Offline NattiesRatties

« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »
PUUHHHLEEAASSSEEE update! I just found this post and read all of it... I AM IN LUV WITH YUR BEBBIES!  :heart:

i wanna see how they're all doing! :P

Offline Thispirit

« Reply #194 on: February 06, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »
Me too! Me too! Meee Tooo!!  hehee'  oh those little fluffballs are flippin' precious!  I'll trade ya pics..  my babes (born feb. 22) are at www.thefuzzbutts.shutterfly.com (which, by the way, I wanted to tell you about, anyway, it's super easy to make a free website on there, and then it's easy for all of us to look at pics of your babies!)

I cannot say how much I absolutely LOVE that you went from being all freaked out about this Momma rat that your snake won't eat to being a Momma who loves and spoils her rats rotten (and this was in just minutes, for me.. as I just started reading!)  Congrats on your new ratty family and may you have many many moons of of ratty happiness with your little ratty loves!
Believe in the healing power of rattie kisses!  (Loved by Judah, Noah, Elijah, and Poppy (the reigning trophy holdin' squishy popcornin'  rattin' monkey boy) :)