Author Topic: The Truth, and Nothing But The Truth.  (Read 8677 times)

Offline AWayson1989

Re: The Truth, and Nothing But The Truth.
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 11:37:40 PM »
okay,  ;D

Offline chapstickaddict

• Posts Too Much!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 11:44:01 PM »
Is this Dr. Inman from Telegraph Road Animal Hospital?

Offline AWayson1989

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 11:46:05 PM »
Yeah, why

Offline chapstickaddict

• Posts Too Much!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 11:47:46 PM »
Just making sure. Carry on.  :thumbsup2:

Offline AWayson1989

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 11:48:40 PM »
why do you know him? he is awesome

Offline chapstickaddict

• Posts Too Much!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 11:53:22 PM »
Nope, I don't I'm from Michigan. I was just wondering if he was the same guy I Googled because I wanted to know more about the guy.

Offline AWayson1989

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 11:54:49 PM »
oh okay thats cool.

Offline critterchic

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 12:07:05 AM »
Well I hope for your girl rats you are on the right path now. I did have my suspicions about the espays but I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt until I saw their pics in the Mugshot section and their bellies had no shaved marks, so I realized that had to be a lie. Totally not cool to lie like that.  Your post to me read like they come from two different people, one is some what coherent and the other cannot string a sentence together. For your rattie sake I wish you well with making the bin cages and pray for an easy/healthy delivery for your girls.
"This is the beginning of a new day.You have been given this day to use as you will. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it.When tomorrow comes,this day will be gone forever; in it's place is something that you have left behind, let it be something good."

Offline AWayson1989

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 12:23:33 AM »
well thank you for praying

Offline betuana

• Moonlit Waters Rattery
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 01:19:28 AM »
If you can, getting a digital scale (preferably one that is accurate to 1g or so) would be a good idea - it will let you not only monitor the weight gain of your girls, but if any babies seem to have trouble as they grow you can use it to track their weights, which may help your vet with any treatment plans for them as well (since you can report the weight changes you've tracked as well as the ones they take at the clinic.). You can find relatively inexpensive scales at walmart and other similar places.

Transitioning your rats slowly from the seed mix to a good lab block (harlan is good, but mazuri will work too) is a good plan. You can also look up Suebee's Rat Diet as an option as well. The problem with seed mixes like the kaytee is that most animals will pick out their favorite pieces to eat, rather than eat all of it, so they don't get complete nutrition. Blocks prevent them from doing the picking and choosing thing. But you'll want to transition slowly, over at least several days (start out with the seed mix and offer some blocks, then slowly reduce the seeds and offer more blocks, etc) so that there are no problems with digestive upsets from the change. Most animals take to blocks very well, but its good to be patient about it.

What was said earlier about extra protein by providing eggs and the like is also very important. If your girls are pregnant they will need the extra nutrition both now and while raising the litter to stay healthy and raise healthy babies.

You'll want to make sure to review the sites on sexing babies, several times. You need to make sure to get all the boys separated from their sisters and moms no later than 5 weeks of age to prevent further litters (which could take you from 20ish rats to 100s of rats in just weeks). Often an easy way to identify genders before the testiscles drop is to hold 2 rats up next to each other and compare the anatomy and the distances between the openings. By 5 weeks old testicles are generally dropped, but double checking all the babies this way is helpful. You can also keep track of which rat is which from when they are tiny by using a sharpie to mark their tails - 1 dot, 2 dot, 3 dots, blue, green, black, etc. The moms will often groom this off, so you may have to touch up the marks daily, but it will help you keep track of which rat is which as they develop, which is good for tracking changes, etc.

I'd also keep the Rat Health Guide's breeding guide on hand - as it has articles about potential problems in pregnancy, birthing, raising litters, as well as basics like maternal behavior, determining pregnancy, etc. There are many other great resources out there, but that is one that I have on hand to link to at the moment.

Make sure that the cages for any babies and females (and preferably all the rats) has 1/2" bar spacing to keep any future accidents from happening, as babies and females can fit through 1" spacing. I know many of the cages like the one you posted have 1" spacing, as they are usually built for guinea pigs and rabbits - there are some with 1/2" spacing (it looks like you have that from your photos), but they tend to be smaller. The Rat Cage Calculator will be useful for determining the size of the cages you'll need to house the rats you keep and make sure they have enough space - just make sure you set it to the units you use to measure the cage! (It's default is generally centimeters, but its more likely that cages you find in the US will be measured in inches).

I think fleece, aspen, and paper towels are your best bets for bedding - carefresh is popular but seems to be dusty and makes some rats sneeze.

I hope some of that helps, I hope that you end up being VERY lucky and that one, or better both females actually have 'false pregnancy' symptoms that you are seeing and turn out to not be pregnant after all, I hope that you've learned and continue to learn so that you don't have any mistakes like this in the future, and that you are being honest with all your information and continue to be so, since it is impossible to help you without full honesty and all the facts being shared - not to mention that it discourages people from even trying to help. But if you are honest and make the effort to keep learning, you'll find this is a great community to learn, communicate, share stories, and get help when needed.

Good luck with everything!

Offline RatFanSA

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 05:10:19 AM »
I am a current owner of two Female fancy rats, one is a dumbo rat named Tinkerbell, and my other is a fancy rat named Marshmellow. I also just got a Male fancy rat named Bear. I have owned a male fancy rat before, who never had a cage mate. His name was Silvester. I had to get rid of him due to I got pregnant, and couldnt care for him anymore, and my boyfriend at that time, was unliked by my rat Silvester.

I'm not sure why you would pretend to have two boys, but I hope you're both really lucky and none of the girls are pregnant... and if any are, I really hope their pregnancy and labour goes smoothly and the babies find good homes. It sounds like you're getting really great advice. :)

Offline AWayson1989

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 10:25:28 AM »
thank you everyone

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 12:29:36 PM »
I dunno if it was answered, but you were talking about a blue see through (not sold blue) tote.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I"m pretty sure it will work.

Also, to those mentioning it sounded like two people before, she admitted in the other thread that she let her friend post under her name there as well so that they could both get help.

Offline AWayson1989

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »
Well, Right now i am only doing this thread. And whatever advice I recieve I will use and Pass down to my friend. But okay, So i will get some chicken wire and figure out how to make my blusih tote work. But any other advice that people on her want to give i will take with an open mind. Thank you everyone, and i am truly sorry for all the liess and mix ups.

Offline crzycoookies

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »
Make sure you get 1/2" hardware cloth - if you're talking about the same kind of chicken wire I'm thinking of, even the female will be able to escape from the bins let alone the babies.
Wanna meet my zoo?
Anna, Belle, Riley, and Minxie - The girly rats
Dante and Piggy - The manly rats
Jack, Zora, and Midget - The dogs
Shadow - The cat
Mrs. & Mr. Copper - The gopher snakes
Sheba, Lilly, and Thorn - The african clawed frogs

--Cynthia

Offline AWayson1989

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 02:21:03 PM »
I am talking about the small square holes that are no bigger then a dime. I dont know if that is called chicken wire or not. but that is what i call it. sorry if that is not what it is called. but if the holes are no bigger then a dime with that work? or no? please any advice will be greatfully taken in without any attitude, this time, i understand now, how much others care on here for other peoples ratties. so any advice i will take good or bad. thank you and have a great day.

Offline crzycoookies

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »
If I was rude, I didn't mean to be. I was just trying to make a short post haha. Anyways yea that should be fine. I think. Other people here will know more than me. But the chicken wire I was thinking of was with those huge octagon shaped holes that you can fit 3-4 fingers through, if not your whole hand.
Wanna meet my zoo?
Anna, Belle, Riley, and Minxie - The girly rats
Dante and Piggy - The manly rats
Jack, Zora, and Midget - The dogs
Shadow - The cat
Mrs. & Mr. Copper - The gopher snakes
Sheba, Lilly, and Thorn - The african clawed frogs

--Cynthia

Offline AWayson1989

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 02:42:26 PM »
Yeah, i didnt take it as a rude comment. But no my husband bought the kind that the holes you could put only your thumb in it. like i said Dime size (the coin size) but thank you, and i didnt take your comment rude not one bit.

Offline AWayson1989

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
okay so i was wrong, They vet said he was wrong. the rattie girls only gain a half of a pound not a pound.

Offline lucylu

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 09:19:05 PM »
A half a pound is still insane. I have never had a vet give me weights in pounds. What is he measuring the weight gain against, as in, when were they last weighed by the vet before then?

So, I'm still curious and not trying to start problems, after people told you on the 6th that the girls could get pregnant, why did you keep them together?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:25:18 PM by lucylu »

Offline Koley

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2010, 11:28:38 PM »
arnt rats weighed by the oz?  thats how they determine feeder sizes

Offline Miss Vicky

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2010, 11:40:18 PM »
I work at a veterinary clinic and we weigh pocket pets/exotics in grams, since it makes calculating medication doses easier (since most formularies list doses in mg per kg).

I SERIOUSLY doubt that that your rats gained half a pound. Many adult females weigh only about that much to begin with.
You story seems a bit fishy.
Owned by two cats (Tiny Tim and Jasper) and two rats (Wreck-It Ralph and Fix-It Felix, Jr.)

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2010, 11:53:17 PM »
Every time I go they are weighed by the gram. Most rats don't even weigh a pound (as far as I know) unless they're chunky male My man rat weighs under 2 pounds and he's 2-3x bigger than the girls.

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2010, 01:22:19 AM »
Mine get weighed by both sometimes.  Like their paperwork would say both but the meds instructions would say grams? I forget i've been to so many different vets lol.  It is possible she meant 1/2 an ounce?....  I dunno.

The rat definitely didn't gain half a pound though that is for sure.  My regular sized over 1yo girls aren't skinny and only weigh between 3/4 and 1 pound (im excluding my morbidly obese rat, but even she doesn't quite weigh 1 1/2 pounds).

Offline RatFanSA

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2010, 02:46:58 AM »
Could the vet maybe mean they weigh half a pound? I realise that wouldn't help much in terms of whether they're pregnant, but that sounds like a more reasonable interpretation (although from the pics they do look a bit bigger than 226 grams - although I suck at eyeballing age/weight from pictures; this is based on them looking a bit bigger than my biggst girl, who weights in at 300 grams). Could they have gain 1/2 an ounce that fast? 1/2 a gram wouldn't be much to comment on. :P