Author Topic: Pinkies?!?! (Dracut, MA, will be looking for homes!)  (Read 20575 times)

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Pinkies?!?! (Dracut, MA, will be looking for homes!)
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2011, 12:16:58 AM »
Day 6-The "lost" baby didn't get lost again today. Whew! Today I noticed that they are getting some white fuzz and their black hoods/stripes are getting more dandruff and darker. One of the little girls, Pi, measured in at approx. 3". I have photos to upload for Day 6, but Photobucket is being difficult and the will have to be added later. I'm still looking for another cage on Craigslist for the 7 boys for when they are weaned. I can make a bin cage for them if push comes to shove, but I really want them to be able to experience the joy of levels and climbing if at all possible. Mom and the girls can stay in my last empty Martin's.

Pet's name: Gerald

My current rats: George, Pumpkin, Alfie, Valentino, Franky, Buddy, Olivia, and Dash

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »
Day 6---
Pi:

Baby Face:

Handful o' rittens:

All lined up:

My current rats: George, Pumpkin, Alfie, Valentino, Franky, Buddy, Olivia, and Dash

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2011, 12:35:37 PM »
Does anyone know if they will have room yet? I'd prefer that they go in pairs, but if you have others at home already, I'll consider letting them go individually, although that would make for a lonely QT. I will definitely be keeping the 3 girls, since they can go in my spare Martin's. Of course, I will be keeping any of the boys that don't find homes. Once I can tell them apart more easily, the boys will be getting individual mug shots and be posted on here for adoption.

Offline AlexP

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2011, 01:05:48 PM »
Very adorable! I recently went through this myself, complete with unexpected pregnancy (of TWO rats :o ) and all. They really do change so fast it's almost crazy. Like you said, there were times I swear their dark markings got darker during the day. They're 5 1/2 weeks old now, and zooming around. Keep us updated on yours! Also, good luck on finding them homes :) (another thing I'm also going through).

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
Day 7 (10/6):

Shy baby:

Offline loveforrats16

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dont Own An Animal If You Cant Take Care Of It.
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
 :eek:
So. Many. Black. Hoodies! :heart: :heart: :heart:
Dont wait around for someone else to do something that needs to be done.
Adopt, Love, Take Care, Take Charge.

Informational Websites;
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/advanced_health_check.php
rmca.org/Resources/rmcafaq.htm
ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html
afrma.org/rmindex.htm
quite.co.uk/rat

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2011, 03:43:39 PM »
:eek:
So. Many. Black. Hoodies! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Yup!!!!   ;D
She was pregnant before we got her (obviously, since she delivered 9 days later...lol) so I have absolutely NO idea what dad looked like. Anyone with a knowledge of genetics want to chime in on what dad's genes could have been to have contributed to such a uniform litter of black hoodies?

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »
Day 8-Photos to come later. We now embark on their second week in this world. They are beginning to try to wash themselves with their little hands. I'm convinced nothing is cuter than baby rats wobbling and falling over as they try to bathe, except for baby rat yawns after they've tuckered themselves out from this "strenuous" activity. They're scooting and squirming around more and more when we take them out. If it's hard to keep track of them all going in opposite directions now, just wait until a couple more weeks! The babies have gone from squirming blobs of skin to squirming velveteen, and their tails are getting longer. It's hard to believe how far they've come in a week.

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2011, 11:22:44 PM »
Day 8-Photos to come later. We now embark on their second week in this world. They are beginning to try to wash themselves with their little hands. I'm convinced nothing is cuter than baby rats wobbling and falling over as they try to bathe, except for baby rat yawns after they've tuckered themselves out from this "strenuous" activity. They're scooting and squirming around more and more when we take them out. If it's hard to keep track of them all going in opposite directions now, just wait until a couple more weeks! The babies have gone from squirming blobs of skin to squirming velveteen, and their tails are getting longer. It's hard to believe how far they've come in a week.

Day 8 Photos:

Offline smsrattery

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2011, 11:40:20 PM »
They are so cute!

Offline jonahsmom

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2011, 11:49:10 PM »
Oh my goodness!!!  Their tiny little toenails.  I just wanna kiss em!  :)

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2011, 12:01:51 AM »
Day 9-As they age, they are getting more and more active, making it more difficult for clear pictures. They are constantly scooting about and pushing each other out of the way. It's amazing how different they look from when they were first born. I just can't get over how quickly they've grown! They're REALLY beginning to resemble little rats now, instead of just pink blobs. White fur is coming in (Oooo, SO soft!) and their hoods continue to get more distinct. We've named 6 babies so far: Pi, Dot, Dash, Pumpkin (a.k.a, "Punkin"), Curious George, and Arrow. Everyone but George is named for their markings. Curious George is so named because he is ALREADY into everything!

Bath Time 1:

Bath Time 2:

Weebles wobble and they don't fall down...but baby rats do:

Offline loveforrats16

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2011, 12:17:46 AM »
 :puppy_dog_eyes: that first picture. It looks like he's sucking his thumb. :heart:

Informational Websites;
afrma.org/rmindex.htm
quite.co.uk/rat

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2011, 08:33:19 AM »
Omigosh, I know exactly how soft they are now. I am so jealous you get to play with them.

Offline foxontherox

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2011, 10:47:26 AM »
I love the one with the exclamation point hoodie! (I'm guessing that is Dot?)

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2011, 11:13:23 AM »
I love the one with the exclamation point hoodie! (I'm guessing that is Dot?)

Yup!  :)

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2011, 01:36:02 AM »
Day 10-I had to chase after a couple of the babies today when we had them out on the table for photos. They can really get going when they want to! For short distances, they can even slither after Mamma Mia to get a drink. Their entire bodies are covered in a very soft, fine layer of hair. Though their eye's aren't open yet, you can see them moving and blinking behind their closed lids.

Bathing Video
Walking Video 1
Walking Video 2

Offline loveforrats16

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2011, 02:54:10 AM »
Ohman, those are some super cute babies!

Informational Websites;
afrma.org/rmindex.htm
quite.co.uk/rat

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »
About 4 days until you have open eyes!!

Offline PinkiePie

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2011, 03:45:14 PM »
Whyyyyyy do you live so nearby? These kiddos would be so easy to go pick up I can't handle the temptation. :shocked2:

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2011, 05:01:18 PM »
Whyyyyyy do you live so nearby? These kiddos would be so easy to go pick up I can't handle the temptation. :shocked2:

Aw, what's a few more anyway?  ;)

Offline betuana

• Moonlit Waters Rattery
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2011, 10:07:14 PM »
They look like they are growing up nicely!

Genetics-wise, its hard to say for sure. Since they are all hooded babies, it is likely dad was hooded, since it is recessive (mom looks like she's a black hooded too). Its POSSIBLE dad was some variant of berkshire (variberk, variegated, even irish), but in that case you should see about a 50-50 hooded or berkshire variant ratio - so I'd be more inclined to guess he was a hooded.

Colorwise - since they are all black, which is also recessive, it is likely he was a black based color, vs an agouti based color. Again though, its POSSIBLE he was a heterozygous agouti based color, and the babies just all ended up being the one type, instead of 50-50 agouti and black based colors. But looking at the number of babies and them all being black...I'd guess he's a black based color.

What color is anyone's guess. As long as mom doesn't carry the dilute, he could be ANY black based color: beige, mink, pearl, any of the blues, dove, rbeige, even triple dilute. With petstore based rats, generally black, beige, and american blue are the colors I've most frequently seen...so I'd guess he's most likely one of those, but its impossible to tell - he's either also black, and he and mom don't carry the same types of other dilutes (if they carry any) or he's any other black based color that mom doesn't carry.

No matter what though, they are looking good so far! The black and white make a high contrast that is fun - little oreo rats! :D

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2011, 03:14:28 PM »
They look like they are growing up nicely!

Genetics-wise, its hard to say for sure. Since they are all hooded babies, it is likely dad was hooded, since it is recessive (mom looks like she's a black hooded too). Its POSSIBLE dad was some variant of berkshire (variberk, variegated, even irish), but in that case you should see about a 50-50 hooded or berkshire variant ratio - so I'd be more inclined to guess he was a hooded.

Colorwise - since they are all black, which is also recessive, it is likely he was a black based color, vs an agouti based color. Again though, its POSSIBLE he was a heterozygous agouti based color, and the babies just all ended up being the one type, instead of 50-50 agouti and black based colors. But looking at the number of babies and them all being black...I'd guess he's a black based color.

What color is anyone's guess. As long as mom doesn't carry the dilute, he could be ANY black based color: beige, mink, pearl, any of the blues, dove, rbeige, even triple dilute. With petstore based rats, generally black, beige, and american blue are the colors I've most frequently seen...so I'd guess he's most likely one of those, but its impossible to tell - he's either also black, and he and mom don't carry the same types of other dilutes (if they carry any) or he's any other black based color that mom doesn't carry.

No matter what though, they are looking good so far! The black and white make a high contrast that is fun - little oreo rats! :D

Thank you for the answer!  :)

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2011, 03:24:58 PM »
Day 11 (Columbus Day)-Today's pictures were Halloween themed. How many baby rats can you fit in a little plastic toy pumpkin? About 4-5! They're still so little but are growing by leaps and bounds each day.  Poor Mamma Mia is getting sucked dry! They are more than just a handful these days, in more ways than one! Not only have the babies have conquered walking for short distances but now they can run!!! And not only do they sprint, but they sprint in opposite directions. It takes two humans now to keep an eye on them while pictures are being taken. Their eyes and ears are still not open, but they have a full layer of fuzz on the tops of their bodies.

Some pictures are posted here, but there were too many to post in full so here is the full Day 11 album:

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »
That was an awesome idea for a prop. Before you know it, only one or two will fit in there.