Author Topic: White, semi friendly rat in my garage  (Read 22008 times)

Offline jessicafennen

• My rats are smarter than me.
White, semi friendly rat in my garage
« on: August 07, 2014, 10:43:11 PM »
I have three female rats that are like my children, so imagine my surprise when my father said there's a big white rat in the garage just looking at us and walking toward us. I do not think he or she is a wild rat. Does anyone have any advice on how I should catch him or her? I have two cages not in use I was thinking of luring him or her into with bedding and food but I'm afraid he or she will just snatch the food and run or I will draw in other animals.

I don't want to kill him or her as I don't think of any creature as a pest I should destroy so only humane options please!
Current Craziness: Louie, Patrick, and Billy

RIP Cookie, Penelope, and Lilly

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
Re: White, semi friendly rat in my garage
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 10:53:15 PM »
Try using a humane trap.  Hav-A-Hart is a good one.  And if you are willing to be patient, you could always use one of your cages with food and bedding, sit in your garage and wait for the rat to go into the cage, then quietly close the door.  Just be careful of him/her NOT being friendly.  If it is, then take him to a vet for a check-up!

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:37:22 PM »
Well if he/she was walking toward you then that's a good sign!  Agreed on trying the have-a-heart trap, which you can get at Home Depot and leave out overnight when the rat's likely to be active.  Get a good sized one so the rat's tail won't be injured.

Offline jessicafennen

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:55:09 PM »
I set out two cages with water and the brick food I give my babies. Should I take something that smells like my rats and put it in the cages? I know they're social creatures so maybe it will make him or her interested in the cages?

Offline ratsareausomepets

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 12:11:28 AM »
Peanut butter is a much better bait to catch rats than brick food... It has a better taste and a stronger smell. When my rats smell another rat or other animals scent on something they become very cautious and hesitant, So I dont think ur rats scent in the cage will help. Hope this rat turns out to be friendly.

Offline jessicafennen

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 12:18:15 AM »
I know but my dad doesn't want me to feed it so I figured I could get away with brick food that my dad won't see or smell in the garage. I'll sneak good food in there tomorrow, plus I plan to search for him. He went right up to my mother, stayed long enough for he to get a video and pictures of him. And okay, that's a no on the smell, thanks

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 07:10:29 AM »
You can definitely put out a bit of your rats dirty bedding as a lure...if you have females and he's a male it might just be irresistible.

Offline jessicafennen

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 09:01:30 AM »
I put dirty bedding in both cages on a whim last night. He took all of the brick food from
Both cages and left poops! But I still haven't actually caught him. I'm hoping he will come out tonight like he did to say hi to all of us last night

Offline cedarridgefarms

• Quick as a rat, and almost as smart!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 09:28:25 AM »
Sounds like some ones pet that either escaped or was set loose. A small Hav-a-hart trap would be better to catch it with as once in and triggered, the  brat can't get back out. I'm sure there may be wild rats out there that have albinoism (not a word I'm sure....) but for it to show interest in humans and try to approach sound more like a lost pet.
Live for today, Love for tomorrow.

Offline jessicafennen

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
He or she is mostly white with black eyes, I believe. We will probably get one of those humane traps tomorrow.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 10:42:16 AM »
Make sure the bait you use is not easily taken.  I would leave a smallish dish (or a lid to a jar) on the back of the trip plate so the rat actually has to put some weight on to release the door.  Or even a small smear of peanut butter on the trip plate.  If it is a smart rat (like rats are!) it can figure out how to get the food and not trip the door... which is why I make these suggestions.  Good luck again!

Offline jessicafennen

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 11:20:49 AM »
He or she seems pretty smart (like most rats!) thanks for the help!

Offline jessicafennen

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 09:30:29 PM »
Here is some more info on the rat: he or she is. PEW diluted who definitely does the head bobbing thing associated with pink eyed rats. He or she is ADORABLE and also incredibly difficult to capture. We put the have a heart cage out tonight and I've been checking every hour. Also, he or she originally would just poop wherever but when I placed the cages in the garage with bedding in them he or she stopped using the floor and started using the cage. I've been giving him or her brick food, which I place out at night and it's gone by the morning. He or she isn't afraid of me or my family but is not fond of the idea of being caught haha

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 10:39:35 PM »
For a domesticated rat to survive in the wild (peoples houses :)) is rare. She must be a smart one!

Offline jessicafennen

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 07:35:06 AM »
He or she didn't take the bait last night. I guess I'll just have to be even more patient. I saw him or her a ton last night but he or she runs and hides quickly

Offline arianaburns

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 10:16:46 PM »
Poor thing :( At least you guys are feeding her! I always worry about wild critters. Pictures would be awesome if possible ;) Keep us updated on the baby.
1.0 husband (Nick)~1.0 boxer (Jackyl)~0.1 shih tzu (Maggie)~0.1 chi/minpin (Lola)

Offline jessicafennen

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 10:58:13 PM »
I spent two hours trying to catch him this morning. A chipmunk took the bait in the cage this afternoon but nope, not Louie (i named him!) he is certainly a boy, a bit bigger than my girls but I also don't think he is fully grown. He has a beige spot on his head, red eyes, and white fur (whiter than his body) just above his two front paws. He's ADORABLE. Ive already fixed together a temporary cage for him if I ever catch him. I didn't feed him last night, but I left out water, in the hope that he would take the bait. He didn't. I'm hoping the same for tonight but I've already seen him running around the garage twice tonight and the bait is still there. This little guy has taught me a lesson in patience. I think he's smarter than me, too!

Offline ElectricJade

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 05:18:05 AM »
Definitely someone's escaped/released pet... rats will generally try to stick to traveling against the wall when getting around and trying to be un-noticed. Try putting the cage/trap right against the wall so he can run right into it without having to venture out in the middle. Also, try some double sided tape running along the walls. It sounds awful, but that was the ONLY thing that worked for me when one of my girls was running a muck in the basement. Just be sure if you choose to use that method to get something that won't hurt his little toes when you remove it. It slowed my girl down enough that I could catch her without hurting her, so maybe try painters tape sticky side up. It sounds awful and cruel I know, but you're better off using that as a last resort than him not surviving. Especially if it's hot where you are, during the day a garage can get to be blistering hot. If that little guy is someone's pet, he won't survive very long.  I hope you don't have neighborhood cats that will get to him before you can.

Offline jessicafennen

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 08:37:02 AM »
It hasn't been too hot here, I live in Indiana. He didn't take the bait last night. I'll put the cage against the wall today. And I've never seen a stray cat in my 8 years of living here. I'm also sick, so I'm losing all kinds of patience as the days go by.

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 11:10:04 AM »
More bait! Better bait!

Offline jessicafennen

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »
I've tried vanilla yogurt, carrots, and peanut butter. The peanut butter helped me catch the chipmunk but not Louie. It's quite exhausting.

Offline ElectricJade

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »
I hope you can get him! I can only imagine how taxing it is for you. :(  at least there aren't any cats and it's not too hot.

Offline jessicafennen

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 12:59:04 PM »
Yeah it's not even 70 today. I saw him this morning so I know he's alive and still smarter than me

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 03:04:41 PM »
Well at least you caught a chipmunk, now theres less competition for the rat.

Offline jessicafennen

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 03:48:38 PM »
Yeah that's true. My mother saw the chipmunk last week an then saw the rat this week and said, "uh.. It's a lot bigger than I remember."  I'm like, it's a different animal. Anyways I reset the trap with a graham cracker and peanut butter. The trap is against the wall.  He hasn't eaten that I know of in 2 nights. If he doesn't take the trap tonight idk what to do. If I ever get ahold of him, I'm keeping him, that's for sure!