Author Topic: Too many rats, and a few are sick :(  (Read 21185 times)

Offline ab81992

Re: Too many rats, and a few are sick :(
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 08:09:16 PM »
If there were a rat train all the way out to Oklahoma, I would definitely talk to the SO about taking them in.

What is a rat train?

Also my boyfriend loves rats probably more than I do lol I was just mentioning it because he usually doesn't like driving into the city because he gets bad anxiety, I guess it wasn't really relevant though...

A rat train is basically people pitching in to take rats from one destination to another to another and so on until they get to adoptive homes. They may get adopted along the way, or people may just help by getting them from one place to the next.

where do I find info on that? maybe we could set one up or is it not that easy?

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 08:16:10 PM »
If there were a rat train all the way out to Oklahoma, I would definitely talk to the SO about taking them in.

What is a rat train?

Also my boyfriend loves rats probably more than I do lol I was just mentioning it because he usually doesn't like driving into the city because he gets bad anxiety, I guess it wasn't really relevant though...

A rat train is basically people pitching in to take rats from one destination to another to another and so on until they get to adoptive homes. They may get adopted along the way, or people may just help by getting them from one place to the next.

where do I find info on that? maybe we could set one up or is it not that easy?

I've never set one up or been a part of one before so I honestly have no idea how to even begin one. Maybe some of the more experienced posters will chime in?
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline FireChik

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 10:32:09 PM »
Thank you for posting in the adoption section! However, we need to not stop there! Let's find a way to get these babies taken care of! I won't be able to get the picture out of my head of the baby with the injured eye.. I've cried for that little one, but that does him no good.... Please everyone, spread the word and help these owners and these babies!

Offline FireChik

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 10:40:28 PM »
It will cost just about 1000.00 for me to fly to Burlington from where I live. I'm researching it and struggling... There are 14+ ratties And there is just me.  : ( My heart is hurting so very bad right now....

Offline ab81992

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 11:18:16 PM »
So far nothing on the adoption thread.... :( ....

Offline FireChik

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2015, 12:37:19 AM »
Ok, I would like you to post pics of all your babies, and the cage/cages they are living in. Please list their diet as well, and let us know their schedule. Free ranging time, etc.

Offline ab81992

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2015, 03:54:30 AM »
I'll try to do all that tomorrow, there are a few babies that my boyfriend and I are sort of attached to (that if it where just them we would most likely be able to afford and take care of)... One he definitely is so if at all possible he's going to at least want to keep that one (we were discussing this earlier and he said Chomp can't go and I said Steak can't go, but if he must then I will try my best to part with Steak, but Idk about him and Chomp)... Bruno also isn't included in this we're keeping Bruno no matter what, I'm not trying to be bossy or anything but it's not just my decision and I know we could never let Bruno go, if it where just him we wouldn't even be in this mess because we could take care of one easy.... I can easily say right now though that their diet for the past few months (we ran out of our 40lbs bags of native earth at the end of December and just can't afford the $100 order right now) has been cheap Hannafords brand dog food.... Also we try and vacuum out the poops from their cage every few days but the pee is getting everywhere and like I said our bathtub drains so poorly it's impossible to clean it in there....

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »
Mainly Rat Rescue is open and taking in intakes, please email them and maybe they can help with your situation. Their email:  surrender@mainelyratrescue.org
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline ab81992

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2015, 05:32:54 PM »
I have emailed them a few days ago....

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2015, 06:29:04 PM »
I have emailed them a few days ago....

Did someone get back to you? You seem to not be able to take care of them all, but at the same time you have some you absolutely can't part with?? My heart goes out to the poor manrat with the eye problem. Not attacking here, just trying to put this into perspective, it sounds like quite a few of those rats need some major vet care??

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2015, 06:52:03 PM »
You also might check your junk mail folder in your email to see if you got a response from MRR.

Offline ab81992

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2015, 07:08:56 PM »
I said if I had to I'd part with the few I'm attached too if it meant a better life for them, but it's not all my decision they aren't just mine they are also my boyfriend's and he already said he wants to keep Chomp.... Bruno isn't included in any of this we're keeping him no matter what.... If all we had where Bruno, Chomp and Steak we would be fine and %100 able to care for them because it would only be 3....

Just checked my spam folder and there isn't anything there either....

Offline ab81992

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2015, 07:10:41 PM »
Also I can't take pictures right now because mt phone has been dead all day once it's charged I'll take some pictures

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2015, 07:15:56 PM »
Also I know MRR normally doesn't start new business on the weekends, as it's all volunteer based and such, perhaps you'll get the email response tomorrow.

Offline ab81992

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2015, 07:28:32 PM »
I just posted this to my other thred if anyone is curious about the names of our rats and which ones seem sick/need a vet

Offline ab81992

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2015, 07:43:17 PM »
How do people get rat trains started? Do they post here and see if people are willing to take part in it? I'd like to see if we can start one and possibly get some of these rats to better homes than we can provide?

Offline ab81992

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2015, 08:20:20 PM »
Ok so I took some pictures but it's going to take a few posts to get everybody/everything

These are their cages though

Females cage
rat manor from petco

Males cage
ferret nation

The one male all by himselfs cage (my boyfriend gave him the empty Ben and Jerrys container lol)
Superpets cage

The reason 4 females are in a smaller cage and 1 male is in a bigger one is because last time we had females in a cage that was identical to the bigger one they chewed through the plastic bottome and escaped while we were sleeping  :-\

Offline ab81992

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2015, 08:40:55 PM »
THE GIRLS

This is Chance, she got her name because when she was born her mom wasn't feeding them and ignored them, so I panicked and tried helping out with formula, and she almost chocked on it but lived.... After that I didn't try and help anymore and momma rat decided she would do her job... Chance has a brown-ish colored head with a white body, she's 21 months old

The one behind Chance who looks like she's winking is Baby Lucky... This is the girl who I think had a stroke (she's still kind of leaning to the right)...... She got her name because back when they were only a few weeks-months old we got a wild rat visitor during the winter who thought Baby Lucky climbing the cage bars would be a good dinner and tried eating her through the bars.... We woke up to Baby Lucky's left arm looking like it had been skinned, I cleaned it the best i could until it healed and ever since her left paw is sort of crooked and she walks on the side of it instead of the bottom.... Might seem messed up but we call her Baby Lucky the little monkey... Baby Lucky has a grey-ish colored head and white body she's 21 months old

This is MooCow she got her name because I'm weird and she had a black blob marking on her back leg.... She has a black head and white body, she's also 21 months old

This is Rex, I think she got her name because when she was a baby her markings looked like a t-rex sorta But I can't remember if thats the only reason why she is Rex..... Rex has a black head and white body, she's 23 months old and has visible respiratory and has had it for a few months now she also looks very skinny

this is a picture of Moocow (left) Chance (middle) Baby Lucky (right)

This is a picture of Chance stretching at the doorway and Rex in the back on the top shelf where she likes to stay most of the time

Offline FireChik

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 09:58:07 PM »
Such beautiful little babies in a bad situation. : (  I don't want to be upset, but this is really sad, and truth be told, pisses me off. : ( I know you are doing all you can...

Offline ab81992

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2015, 10:15:21 PM »
BOYS:

This is the upper half of the boys cage
The rat on the shelf is Frankenstien he seems to be breathing hard I noticed while taking pictures so he might have respiratory also... The boy on the left on the bottom is Spike and the one on the right is Dottie

This is the lower half of their cage.... Most of the boys love sitting in that swinging bed thing... The two boys on the Shelf are Chomp (left) and Newpee (right).... Like I said though my boyfriend wants to keep chomp, he's also close to Rodent Number 4 (not pictured) too...

So this is that swinging bed thing I made from a plant holder.... The rat in the back facing sideways is Buba Doofney, the three in the fron are Rodent Number 4 (left) TipToe (middle) and Steak (right), If we can I would like to try and keep Steak, but if I reeeally neeed to give him up for his own good then i will do my best to accept that...

This if Frankenstien, I will post all about the boys at the end of this post instead of with thier pictures because the pictures are kind of all over the place and it just seems easier, instead of what i did with the girl pictures....

The four in the fron from left to right are Buba Doofney, Steak, Newpee, and Chomp... The rat in the back is Rodent number 4 I'm pretty sure....

This is Rodent Number 4 (RN4 from now on in this post), my boyfriend really likes this little guy (not gunna lie so do I) and wants to keep him but says he can go if he needs to (but he's keeping Chomp)

Left to right
RN4, Spike, Steak, Chomp, and Newpee

The one on the right is Newpee, I'm posting this picture to show his eye seems to have that red stuff they get sometimes, I'm not sure if he has always had that red stuff (like bruno he has always had it) or if it's a new thing, but figured I'd post a picture o it...... I think the rat on the left is Chomp

Left to right
Spike, Steak, Chomp, Newpee......

This is Tiptoe (left) and Frankenstien (right) they both seem kinda skittish.... RN4 is in the back

This is Cocobutts (or Mr. Spock I'll explain why he has 2 names at the bottom)..... He lives by himself (which I'll also explain)

TipToe, with Newpee in the background

Dottie is on the right and the goofball in the back/left is Spike

I believe this is Spike

This is Dottie

This is my little baby Steak

This is Newpee and once again the goofball in the back is Spike lol

Offline ab81992

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 10:16:06 PM »
had to do two posts heres the second half

Ok now I'll explain the boy rats themselves :)

Dottie or Dott (with 2 t's lol) Dott got his name because he has a tiny white dot on his head that it kind of hard to see now but when he was a baby you could see it. The reason I said with two t's is because my boyfriend always says to him it's dott he got 2 t's he got 2 t's lol... Dott is mostly friendly, he has a black head and white body, he's 23 months old

RN4, well Rodent number 4 got his name from this forum actually back before they had names and I posted them here he was boy number four and his picture was really goofy and someone said if they lived here they would have rodent number four or boy four can't remember but it kinda stuck now we sing in high pitched voices iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's rooooodent nuuuuumber fooooare to him all the time... he's kind of scared/skittish around us... He has a brown-ish head and white body, he is 21 months old

Tiptoe, he got his name because my boyfriend was obsessed with that ceepy song tiptoe through the tulips for a while and because i found my sisters old rat beenie baby named tiptoe, he's pretty gentle he also unfortunately has some kind of respiratory because he breaths hard and seems kinda small/skinny... He has a black head and white body, he is 23 months old

Cocobutts/Mr. Spock ok he has two names one we gave him and the second his second owner who had to return him and his brother (who passed away about a month ago) gave him, this is also why he lives alone after we got him and his brother back the other boys didn't like them anymore and they wouldn't get along so we had to just keep the separated and since Captian Kirk passed away Cocobutts has been alone..... We are weird so Cocobutts is the one we gave him lol because I found him sleeping in the half coconut shell we had in their cage one day a long time ago... He's kind of skittish but very curious of people and such a sweetie pie... He has a black head and white body he is 23 months old

Steak, well Steak got his name because shortly after he was born (a few months not like while he was tiny still) me and my boyfriend where cooking steaks ut on the grill and brought him out to enjoy some summer air and somehow after his name was Steak lol... He is my little baby and he's also a little trouble maker he seems to start scuffles or at least he used to and he also chewed my boyfriends wii remote lol but he's also gentle when he wants to be  :BlueDumboSmile: ...  he has a black head and white body he is 23 months old...... I would really like to keep him if I could....

Buba Doofney, he got his name because he was the only grey male born, so he got named after his dad Doofey (who has had a million and one names including Doofney lol).... Buba Doofney is the grey boy with the eye problem his dad had something happen to his eye too it kinda clouded over looking but never got any worse than that..... He has a grey head and white body he is 21 months old

Frankenstien, he got his name because he still didn't have a name and I told my boyfriend to just pick something random and that's what he came up with, I ussually pronounce it frank um stien lol... While I was taking pictures I noticed it looked like he's starting to get heavy breathing as well so i think he might have some sort of respiratory as well :( ... He has a black head and white body he is 21 months old

Chomp, he got his name because his design sorta looks like chomp from mario those black ball on chain things, My boyfriend already said he can't go anywhere but I still igured I'd share who he is, he's wicked sweet and likes to come hang out on my boyfriend lap soemtimes.... He has a black head and white body he's 23 months old

Spike, he got his name because when he was little he bit his brothers, that and because of tommy's dog on the rugrats lol, he's not mean anymore though in fact he's soooo sweet and adorbale he's very curious about us humans and sniffs my hand when i stick it in the cage he even licks me sometimes :) ... he has a black head and white body he's 23 months old

Newpee, he got his name because his design kind of looked like snoopy, and bith me and my boyfriend are weird and twist everyones names over the years/months so now it's newpee lol, he seems to have more redish stuff around his eye now, or maybe he always has and I just never noticed but I think it is new, he has a black head and white body he's 23 months old

I'm sorry for all the typos but I just dont want to go through them all after writing this its taken me a long time to do this lol

Offline ab81992

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 10:27:16 PM »
I know and I am extremely ashamed of how things turned out with these rats, I feel so terrible, and I've tried to keep them clean they just mess the cage so quickly with that many we vacuum out the poops and anything else that will vacuum as often as we can, we've been busy the past couple days and they also like to step on the side of that bowl making there food go flying (in the boys cage)..... But I can't keep trying to hide it and say things will be ok because after buba doofneys eye and baby lucky and the few that died last month I cant do that, things are not ok and I need help but I don't know how to get help.... I'm just so overwhelmed and feel hopeless and like i betrayed them all..... even if we only had 5 we'd would be ok and be able to take care of them but we have 14, plus Bruno.....

Offline FireChik

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2015, 12:59:27 AM »
I'm surprised they are not all sick from the looks of their homes.... And I'm also surprised more folks here are not voicing an opinion. No hate...but you really need to surrender these pets ASAP. The living conditions are in no way acceptable.  I'm sorry, but in your heart, you know this is true..... :'(

Offline Regi

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2015, 02:04:06 AM »
Okay, this is Really messy. We all want these guys to get adopted so let's be more organized. We are driving away potential adoptees by having them read through 2 long pages of text and soon more. We need to say exactly want we need and post. The best thing to do is to get everyone to move to the adoption post. PLEASE let's all move to the adoption post --->> http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/index.php?topic=4106967.0
We want a rat train so let's do this XD Here's what we are
going to do:
For everyone who is interested in adoption and/OR transportation fill this out and post on This page and then we'll switch to the adoption post.

The Form with my filled in responses
1. State and city: IL, Wheaton
2. Number of rat(s) to be adopted: 1 or 2
3.Sex of the rat(s): F
4. Rats you're interested in (**you may not be able to get those specific rats):   BabyLucky and Rex
5. Ability to care for the injured (money, time, transport to vet, experience)?: Yes, yes, yes, yes 2y and 3 rats, 2 got sick
6. Transportation abilities (how far can you travel to keep the train going?):  I don't have a car but I maybe able to do a very small amount of transport
7. Anything we NEED to know about you: Nope
*** keep it as short as possible, hopefully we'll get a lot of these

ab81992 add me on Facebook I'm Regi Carlin, it should say COD student in my information, let's organize this and get these beauties adopted :) Everyone else who would like to really should. Getting a group message going would be great.

Remember let's all switch pages right After we all fill out the form and post --> http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/index.php?topic=4106967.0 <-- Let's keep it short and we need to combine our train with another, I have somewhat of a plan. There are other people in need of rat transport, we can make this work.

Offline ab81992

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 04:17:07 AM »
I'm surprised they are not all sick from the looks of their homes.... And I'm also surprised more folks here are not voicing an opinion. No hate...but you really need to surrender these pets ASAP. The living conditions are in no way acceptable.  I'm sorry, but in your heart, you know this is true..... :'(

I do know this is true, I've been struggling with it for a while but just hoping maybe things would get better, I was foolishly hoping without doing anything but now I am and I hope this will work, it is long overdue

We could take the rats to get on this rat train to Burlington Vt, but I'm not sure if we could go farther than that... I'm thinking maybe we could start a whole new post saying where trying to get a rat train started then people who haven't been following these two posts but are looking for rats might see it so more potential adopters? Also if this all happens what will they travel in? we don't have many things for transportation, we have an old glass tank with the bottom taped up because it got cracked but that's about it :/ .... especially if both boys and girls would be going, we miiight possibly have a tiny bird cage somewhere....