Author Topic: Rat-Sitter Directory -- Please help if you can!  (Read 81087 times)

Offline Tiff

Re: Rat-Sitter Directory -- Please help if you can!
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2011, 07:10:13 PM »
San Diego
1. What your schedule is like and when you are available
I stay at home
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive
20 miles Gas is expensive
3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging?
I play with my rats all day. They get free range on my desk or when the kids are sleeping
4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs?
I know enough that if they need medical help I can give it to them. I worked for a vet clinic and the veterinarian and I are family friends. Special needs is fine
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for?
Dogs, rats, mice and hamsters.

Offline Cari

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2011, 03:38:15 PM »
I live in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I would be able to drive anywhere in the Fox Valley (within 20-30 minutes of my home) once a day. My schedule varies, but I could make a daily trip. I'd be willing to sit with your rats for 30-60 minutes to play with them after taking care of their basic needs for the day. I work for a shelter and have fostered many rats. I am comfortable giving medications. I also have experience with cats, dogs, ferrets, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs and rabbits. :)

Offline abazoo

« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2011, 06:37:22 PM »
I am located in wichita, kansas

1. What's your schedule like and when are you are available?
I'm available weekday mornings until 3pm. Weekends, evenings after 5pm.
2. How far are you are willing to drive to provide care and how often can you can make the drive?
30mins away is cool, can do everyday, if needed
3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging?
An hour+ I'd rather be doing other things than my own house cleaning haha
4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs?
I can do yummy meds, subQs, breathing treatments, tumor/abacess care or checks. Really, just show me, and I'll handle it.
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for?
I've owned a big dog, an old cat and ferrets till old age. Cared for other's smaller dogs a couple times. No idea of fish or scale care, but again, show me and I'll try. 

Offline ASkelton

« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2011, 07:52:51 PM »
Lawton, Oklahoma (Comanche County)
1. What your schedule is like and when you are available Work Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10-6, Thursday 10-2,Saturday 10-4.
2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive Willing to drive the Lawton Area, can make the drive once a day
3. How much time can you commit per day? Can you spend enough time to allow for free-ranging?Probably no more than 45 minutes, maybe free ranging on days off
4. What is your experience with rat medical care? Would you be comfortable caring for a rat that has special needs?No medical care experience with rats, but do have medical care with all other animals
5. In addition to rats, what other animals do you have experience in caring for? Cats, Dogs, Hamsters, Fish, Ferrets, Guinea Pigs, Hedgehogs, Snakes, Reptiles, Mice, Horses, Goats, Cattle, Pigs :)

Can also pet sit small animals at house if you need it.
Ratties:Chewbacca(Chewie),Lil Miss & her 21 babies,Puffin,Meeko.
Cats:Lardo Bibardo Fee Fii Ferardo,ButtScratch,Peter FluffyTail.
Hamsters:Sunshyne and Sunfire.
Proud Army Wife of a 13M and Momma to Tristan Aries <3

Offline kukupecpec

Rat - Sitter TUCSON ARIZONA
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »
Rattie sitter here!

Tucson AZ
Would prefer to bring rats to my place, but willing to drive a short distance to your place.
available 24/7, they would get lots of attention and free range time.
cmfortable with special needs and medication.
Have owned and cared for Horses, Rabbits, Dogs, Cats, various reptiles, and other farm/ranch animals. I am comfortable with all shapes sizes and breeds of animals =)

Offline main.family@earthlink.net

Re: Rat-Sitter Directory -- Northeast New Jersey NJ NY Maybe Farther
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
Live in East Orange NJ
My husband and I are both in our 50s--caring and mature.

1. Schedule very flexible.
2. NJ, NY, Maybe farther   overnight negotiable
3. FT temporary live-in currently negotiable down to quick drop bys     Don't know your house so depending on species will happily free range in a safe, limited area
4. Rat medical experience 1-1/2 yrs but have a great network    Have rat hospice experience with tumors incl post-surgical removal   Have experience wi newborns through old age   Have a special gift/ministry for special needs animals emotional and physical
5. Decades of experience with every cat situation     A few years with Dogs, Hamsters, Gerbils, Fish fresh and salt water, Guinea Pigs, Mice, a few months with Horses

Offline Winter_Whisper

• Posts Too Much!
  • Enjoy the little things.
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2011, 12:39:18 AM »
Pasco County, Florida, United States
1. I would be able to make it to your house 2x a day. I do work but I will make it to your house, before and/or after work.
2. I will make it two times a day unless you're ridiculously far lol. I will drive maybe 20 miles but I'd like to be payed for gas.
3. I will stay however long you want me to stay.
4. If you have any rats that need special treetment I would like you to show me your method and I would do the same.
5. I grew up on a farm so I can care for "pretty much" every animal. 
Check me out on etsy! T-Shirts and keepsakes sold here :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Farrah120?ref=ss_profile

Offline tinytippytoes

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2011, 08:19:19 AM »
Hi there all. I'm not sure if this is the place to post. I'm looking for a rat sitter in end of november( after Thanksgiving) for 1 week. I have 4 boys and need someone to make sure they are fed and watered. Change litter box once during the week. I live in Suffolk county Long island. Thanks :)
My rat can brux louder than your rat.

Offline Buchal

• Ritten
  • A good book is the best of friends, the same today
    • shoes australia
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2011, 09:56:25 PM »
Can be used as a pet rat, but it should also check that it has no plague, to prevent transmitted to themselves or people around. But I also do not support mouse experience. :balloon: :balloon: :balloon:

Offline greentomato

« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2011, 02:30:10 AM »
Chicago Rat Sitter - Northside

My schedule is very flexible. I frequently work from home.

2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive

No car. You would need to bring them here to my apartment, which is currently pet-free.

An hour a day. And yes, free-ranging time is permitted.

I've given medicine orally with a syringe. I'd prefer not to-- it wasn't fun. Also, please no biters!

Just male rats. Four over 2.5 years. I do miss them.

Offline killybutt

• kilcodocostumes on etsy - hammocks, plushies and more!
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2011, 03:17:56 PM »
Experienced pet-sitter with 4 years private incorporated pet-sitting experience in Orange County, California!

1. I'm a full-time freelance artist working from home, so I am home almost 24/7.
2. I am willing to drive in Orange County only.
3. I have a rat-proof living room perfect for free-ranging, and I have hours a day dedicated to my rats.
4. I have administered antibiotics to rats many times. I have also injected insulin for dogs, cats, and given meds to a variety of animals.
5. I worked for a private in-home pet sitting company in South Florida from 2006-2010, taking care of a wide variety of dogs, cats, rodents, birds, fish and animals with medical needs. I'm also an experienced rat owner, previous dog owner, and previous bird owner.

http://etsy.com/shop/kilcodocostumes
custom-made animal plushies, backpacks, and hammocks!

Offline BlackWolfRat

« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2011, 10:38:41 PM »
Currently in Central Pennsylvania in Snyder County. I'm close to Mifflinburg and Selinsgrove.

I'm a stay at home mom of a 9 month old daughter, I am also doing school online, but when I'm not my time is totally free. Of course, I'd have to drop everything if my daughter needed me.

I don't drive and neither does my husband. My only possible ride is almost never available so you would have to come to me. I could board your rats if need be, and the only price would be the cost of food and bedding.

I've got plenty of time and would probably allow free-ranging multiple times a day. :D

In this I have no experience. I have helped a guinea pig with two broken legs before and learn quickly, but I would need extensive information and your contact information to let you know how your pet is doing.

Dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, handled (but never fed) snakes I don't know much about them, but a friend of mine does and I could refer you to her. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to board another snake. :) I've also helped with ferrets although I've never owned one.

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats, the fanciest of pets~
    • Etsy~
Re: Rat-Sitter Directory -- Bay Area, CA
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »

1. What your schedule is like and when you are available:
My schedule is very flexible as I only work 18 hours a week, typically Mon, Wed, and Fri for 6 hours a day, getting off of work at 4:00 p.m.

2. How far you are willing to drive to provide care and how often you can make the drive:
I do not have a car but am completely willing to use BART/Public transportation/bike to get to where I need to go if transit fees are covered by the owner. I'm located in Oakland, CA about 2 blocks from a BART station so that's no problem as long as you're within a couple miles of a BART station or if there's a bus line reasonably close (2-3 miles max) I can figure out if it's possible for me once I have an address

I can spend as much or as little time as wanted, probably up to 2 hours give or take depending on travel time (exceptions can be made for larger or multiple groups)  Free-ranging is no problem for me as long as there's a designated "play time" area and the little ones are willing to let me handle them without trying to escape/hide too badly.

So far my medical experience is very basic but if any special care is required, I'd be more than happy to make a visit before the pet-sitting is needed to receive instructions and meet the little ones. It would also be good to have some vet contact information in general, but especially for little ones with specific medical needs.

I have personally owned a hamster, a guinea pig, cats, fish, birds (specifically parakeets), bunnies, and have never owned a dog as I've never been in a living situation that would allow dogs but am very comfortable caring for them and walking them. I have never had any experience with ferrets or other small animals that are illegal in California for some reason >_> but would love a chance to learn how to properly care for them. I currently own two male rats as well who have routine check-ups and are healthy but will do my best to shower/change/sanitize and kill time before and after I come in contact with your pets.

If you have any questions or would like to set up an appointment, you can either pm me as I'm on the forums almost daily or you can email me at naricaution89@yahoo.com but please do keep in mind that distance is an issue so if you're not within, id say, 4 miles of BART/public transit, please do not ask as I will have to decline. I currently have a DCN and an ALT luxury rat home so I would be willing to pet-sit at my home (Rats only) but only after a recent (within 1 week) vet visit and can verify with the vet that they are healthy but I would much prefer to not do this. I only offer this as a last resort for desperate situations.

Offline KamieKirk

Located in College Station, Texas.
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2012, 10:12:28 AM »
Located in College Station, Texas.  :)

1. I'm available whenever until this fall or next year, after that, I will be going to school for nursing. With 12 pets, time will be scarce, so rat-sitting will be on a needs basis.
2. I'm willing to drive anywhere in-town, and if compensated, pick up any supplies/food/toys needed for them.
3. I can commit several hours if needed, but my boys typically get an hour per day for out of cage fun.
4. I've read several booklets on rat healthcare and medical care, and with proper instructions, I am willing to take care of a special needs rat, as long as the rat isn't hostile.
5. I'm also experienced in caring for dogs, cats, and various other reptiles (PM for more information, if interested) besides rats.

Depending on how many rats there are, length of care, and supplies needed to care for them, I would be willing to work out a fee. Also, there would need to be compensation for gas usage when driving around town.
In loving memory of my Heart Rat, Heathcliffe
 ~ February 19th 2014 ~

The Boys: Stewie, Darcy, Darwin, and Pemberley.

Offline loveforrats16

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dont Own An Animal If You Cant Take Care Of It.
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2012, 10:29:15 PM »
Warren, Ohio.

Currently job-less. Any time.

45 minutes. Once a day.

1-3 hours a day.

Have taken care of/dealt with URI's, abscesses, eye/ear/mouth infections, HED, sprains, broken tail, infected cuts/bites, PT, heart issues, seizures.
Yes.

Dogs and cats.
Dont wait around for someone else to do something that needs to be done.
Adopt, Love, Take Care, Take Charge.

Informational Websites;
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/advanced_health_check.php
rmca.org/Resources/rmcafaq.htm
ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html
afrma.org/rmindex.htm
quite.co.uk/rat

Offline calicavylover

« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2012, 11:53:48 AM »
Looking for Rat Sitter located in Southern California. Prefer to have someone take them into their home while we are away. We are in Ventura but are more than willing to drive to Orange County, LA, Santa Barbara or any of the surrounding areas. We have 6 rats in 2 groups of 3, all very sweet healthy and young. I would bring travel cages, food and everything they need and also pay you a daily petsitting rate. We just want to be sure that they are well taken care of and taken out for a bit of snuggle time while we are away. Its so hard to find a sitter who understands ratties and is willing to do more than just throw food in the cage. Thanks! Please PM if you can help
ratties
 guinea pigs
2 yappie maltipoos
and one cat who wonders why they heck mommy brought all these other critters in da house!

Offline parentologist

Rat sitter available in West Hartford, CT
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2012, 10:50:39 PM »
We anticipate soon being without rats.  When we are, we would be happy to rat sit.  I think I'll just hang onto the single Critter Nation and supplies, so that we can rat sit with it.  We will not travel, but would be able to rat sit in our home.  We don't have other pets in the house.  The entire family is very comfortable with rats.  We'd be able to take them out to play, allow them to run around supervised on the kitchen and laundry room floors.  We're comfortable with medical care of rats - I'm an MD, have cared for four rats through various illnesses.

Offline Gamefreke013

• Heart rat? Yes please!
    • Facebook
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2013, 12:27:29 AM »
Puyallup-Tacoma, WA, USA

Currently, I usually work nights and my wife works days
I would have to say probably within 20-30 miles away from our house.
Maybe a couple of hours a day, just really depends on my schedule at the time of.
I am very comfortable. I have given medication to many types of animals in my years growing up. Anything from oral to syringes.
I have had/taken care of the following:
Cats
Dogs
Rats
Fish (Fresh water and salt water)
Hamsters
Reptiles including snakes and geckos
rabbits
Horses
and many other types of farm type animals.
Current furry friends:
Rats
Males:
Billy Murry
Sir Reginald Bartholomew The Great
Females:
Lilith
Gracy
Peanut

Cats:
Luci
Willow
Sophie

Offline SqueeHazard

• Caregiver to 3 Lovely boys.
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2013, 09:03:35 AM »
DFW Area (Texas)

It is a bit spastic but I work from home so I'm available at any time really c:
Unfortunately I have yet to purchase a vehicle ; u ;
Assuming they'd stay with me, they'd probably get a good six hours of free range as my boys do c:
Depends on the needs specifically.
Well versed with dogs(vet in family and live with a guy who has trained them for 30 years)

Offline parentologist

Rat sitter available in West Hartford, CT
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »
See our posting in the new postings area.  We are experienced former rat owners who don't currently own any, nor do we have any equipment.  We'd be happy to rat sit yours, in our home, if you bring us the rats in a clean cage with all their gear.  We have no other pets currently.  We work only part time, and have school aged kids.  Everyone in the house is very comfortable with caring for rats.  Contact us at mousatonic AT comcast DOT net

Offline BlackWolfRat

« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Currently in Central Pennsylvania in Snyder County. I'm close to Mifflinburg and Selinsgrove.

I'm a stay at home mom of a 9 month old daughter, I am also doing school online, but when I'm not my time is totally free. Of course, I'd have to drop everything if my daughter needed me.

I don't drive and neither does my husband. My only possible ride is almost never available so you would have to come to me. I could board your rats if need be, and the only price would be the cost of food and bedding.

I've got plenty of time and would probably allow free-ranging multiple times a day. :D

In this I have no experience. I have helped a guinea pig with two broken legs before and learn quickly, but I would need extensive information and your contact information to let you know how your pet is doing.

Dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, handled (but never fed) snakes I don't know much about them, but a friend of mine does and I could refer you to her. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to board another snake. :) I've also helped with ferrets although I've never owned one.

I have since moved. Sorry for any inconvenience, but I am living with family and they barely tolerate the two rats I own. I have two kids now and my time is much more limited as well. I wish I could still offer to help, but I can't. :/

Offline Goddessgood

• Neuratic Aristocat
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »
Hello, all!

I'd like to offer my service as a rat-sitter.

I work an 8 to 5, M-F job in Burlingame, CA. I commute from north San Jose, CA to work. I'm up at 6am weekdays but I'm not usually home until 6pm or later. I have a standing commitment every other Friday night, so I'm not available then. Weekends tend to be wide open. Please give me at least a couple of days notice, though I'd prefer a week or more.
On weekdays: If you are within 5 miles of either my home or my work or within 1 mile of either 101 or 280, I can stop by up to twice a day.
On weekends: If you are within 15 miles of home my home, I can stop by twice a day.

I can commit to up to two 30 minute visits on weekdays, or a single one hour visit on weeknights. I can commit to up to two hours on weekends in one or two visits. I have a mobile free-ranging set up that I can bring with me. It's eight 36" tall tri-fold poster boards that I connect with binder clips and can provide up to ~80 square feet of ranging room, depending on your set up.
I have no practical experience yet with the medical needs of rats, though I have done some research. That said, I am an intelligent and observant person and can follow instructions. My preference would be to meet with you before you leave to have you walk me through their care routine, what's expected of me, and to point out any red flags I should look out for. I will err on the side of caution every time, though, so please keep that in mind if you will be out of contact or are unable to reimburse me for any medical expenses.
I have experience caring for cats (quite a bit, even sick ones), birds, dogs, and guinea pigs. I'm rubbish with fish and plants, though, so I will only do exactly what you tell me and nothing else for those two things.

Please also note: I have a fairly strong allergy to cats (mine are hypoallergenic Siberians), hay, grass, pine and cedar. I can work around these things so long as I'm given enough warning and have properly medicated myself. None of my allergies are life-threatening.

Names: Prue, Piper, & Phoebe

Offline maladie

« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2013, 06:02:38 AM »
I'm offering my services as a pet sitter. I have done lots of pet sitting and house sitting in the past (can give references if needed), although I would prefer if your animals (especially if its rats) and their habitat could be brought to me for boarding. That'd make it much more convenient since I would just extend my daily care routine for my babies to yours as well. I can travel if it's really important, but I'm going to charge more for that since it costs me more time and gas. I live in Asheville, North Carolina (until 1/2014), after that I will be moving about an hour north of Toronto. Please contact me via pm asap if I can help you!

I work 12hr days at a resturaunt on (sometimes thurs) fri, sat, sun. however, my hubby cares for any critters in the home while I am away.
I will drive up to 30min every day, preferably less if it's on a work day.
I can commit up to an hour per day. I cannot stay long enough for free ranging on work days, it would be basically a quick check and feeding on those days. But hopefully you would choose to board at my place to make it easier on both of us!
I've treated my rats for post op infections and mites, both with oral medication. I'm really good at giving them meds without stressing them out. I would be very comfortable with a special needs animal.
Pretty much all of my pet sitting has been cats and dogs. Myself, I've had lots of various pets: tarantula, dog, cat, bird, praying mantis (yes really) hamster, mice, hermit crabs, you name it! My cat that I have now is diabetic so I have to be home every morning and nite to ensure that he gets his insulin (or my hubby does it, but one of the two of us has to be home every day)

Offline rufusthedoofus

Rat Sitter Directory - Portland, Maine
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2013, 08:28:48 AM »
I have a pretty busy schedule (I have two jobs) but I usually have a lot of free time in the morning.

I can go just about anywhere within the greater Portland area once a day.

I can commit to at least an hour of free range time a day.

I've never had rats that were terribly sick myself, but I work with animals as one of my jobs and am experienced with medicating rats as well as other animals.

I have experience with just about every rodent, rabbits, birds, dogs, and cats.

Offline LindsayM

Hobart, Indiana, USA
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2014, 08:05:35 PM »
I work 12-8pm on Sundays and Wednesdays but other than that I'm free.

I don't have my own car so it'd have to be a special arrangement, but I can make it work if you are really in need!. I can only go VERY local though, like 20-30 minutes out :( In all honesty if it's possible for you to drop off your rats at my house, that would be the best! I'm home almost every day. I could meet you somewhere halfway and I can watch the ratties at my place!

At lesat one hour of free ranging time is doable. If the rats are at my place I usually do a short period of time in the morning (on days I don't work) and an hour or more at night. I can do special dietary requests, too. My rats get veggies and fruits about every other day, and I usually give them a little bit of whatever I'm eating if they can have it, so let me know if there are any dietary restrictions :)

I don't have any medical experience with rats, but I'm willing to learn.

Hamsters, cats, fish, reptiles. I'll water your plants and take in your mail, if you like :)
Bella, Luna, Pandora, Dot, Elfi, and Marceline