Author Topic: Organic vs Sterile Soil?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Organic vs Sterile Soil?
« on: February 13, 2016, 12:50:08 PM »
I can't find anything labeled sterile potting soil anymore, for rat dig boxes. But there is "organic." Is that safe for our guys?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Organic vs Sterile Soil?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 05:57:45 PM »
I asked myself the same question a few weeks ago as I wanted to buy some sterile soil myself for my rats...I think I will just get the organic soil and put it in my oven for 30 mins or so.
I believe if it says organic it is safe as it is my understanding that it means no chemicals were added to it. I'm curious to know what other people believe before I get some though.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 08:02:57 PM »
I'm interpreting that as there are no chemicals in it so it'd be safe in that regard, but since it doesn't say sterile it could be a host to little nasties. Baking it sounds like a good idea.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 06:27:26 PM »
I did a little searching, and I see what you mean.  Everything seems to be fertilizer enriched and with other additives.  I believe that the sterile potting soil you used to be able to find was a blend of perlite or vermiculite and sphagnum moss, which I believe can still be bought separately and mixed.  Whether you buy a commercial soil or mix your own, if you want to be sure it's sterile, check out this link:  How To Sterilize Soil & Organic Potting Mix Recipes.  They seem to have some pretty good recipes for blending your own soil, and for rats perhaps the best one is the last one:  a blend of compost, perlite, vermiculite, and sphagnum moss.  For rats, I would simply leave out the compost.

What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 06:50:42 PM »
I will go to Lowes next week and see what they have. I'm hoping to find a potting soil without fertilizer...I hope I don't have to do my own mix though.
Thanks for your research BigBen:)

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:13:57 PM »
You're most welcome.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n