Author Topic: Mom rant (yes, rat-related)...  (Read 7943 times)

SADCAT

Mom rant (yes, rat-related)...
« on: April 07, 2003, 04:26:40 PM »
Most people have trouble getting their parents to allow them to have more rats. My mom won't stop trying to get me to bring home more rats!! My boys have been fighting lately because they're getting too big for their cage (and we still have a month to go before they can be neutered), so she says "just put them in with the girls! Let's get some babies going!" I've been through this with her more than once. I've told her why pet store rats should NOT be bred (and basically why ANY animal should not be bred "just because"). She just doesn't get it. I tell her "Beans and Hobnob are too old to have babies, they could be seriously hurt or killed if they were to get pregnant" so she ignores the fact that all the girls are in the same cage and says "well Wassail and Bayberry then!" this shocked me. I answer: "mom. I signed a contract saying I would never breed them!" and she replies "oh the breeder doesn't have to know..."

UGH... I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall with her. She's just one of those people who thinks animals should breed and breed just for the "experience" and to witness "the miracle of life". I've told her a million times why this is completely idiotic, and she just laughs and thinks it's just a big joke. And she used to volunteer with me at the Humane Society!! She's SEEN what can happen when people let their pets breed. *sigh* I can't wait to move out next year!!

Offline sarahspins

• Posts Too Much!
Re:Mom rant (yes, rat-related)...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 04:29:42 PM »
Ugh!! I do at least have to give kudos to you for sticking up to her.. sounds like she's a handful! ;)

You are really making a responsible choice that I wish more pet owners would make... there are FAR too many rats produced around where I am that are the result of such breeding, and then *surprise* no one can find homes for them....

Offline starsevol

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 04:42:06 PM »
WTG SADCAT!! Why in the world cant everyone be as responsible as you?
Ruger and Remington.

Forever in my heart-OSED Rain Beau, OSED Cosmic Cloud, OSED Grand Finale, Art Vandelay,Bobbiesue,Billiejo,Risotto,Wellington,Winchester, Roosevelt ,Marshmallow and Luger.

Offline Kathleen

• Posts Too Much!
  • R.I.P. Delilah
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2003, 04:44:23 PM »
How wierd! I guess if she volunteered at a shelter and still doesn't get it, you can't really hope to change her mind. But at least you're there to keep her in check!

Anna

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2003, 04:52:35 PM »

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2003, 05:02:47 PM »
Good idea Anna. Show your mom what can and DOES happen when breeding gets out of control.

SADCAT

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2003, 05:19:01 PM »
I'll try and get her to look at that... the thing is, we had dozens of rats at the Humane Society from irresponsible breeding... crammed into little cages... she's seen it but she doesn't seem to think it can happen to us.  ::)

stripedrats

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 06:29:51 PM »
omg, that's EXACTLY how my mom is!! She kept thinking that I was getting my boys so I could breed her girls and my girls so they could continue a generation. I keep telling how dangerous and complecated breeding is, but she won't listen! I even gave her printouts about responsible breeding, but I don't think she read them. I thought we'd finished the discussion and she understood, but yesterday she asked me when I was going to breed Cailean. I thought my mom was smarter than that. Geez....  :confused: :shocked2:

Ensie

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2003, 06:32:59 PM »
Maybe it's the displaced maternal instinct: when moms can't/don't want to have any more human babies, their need is fulfilled with rattie babies?

My mom has accused me of displacing my "deep" maternal instinct through my animal friends. Works for me! :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline LittlePixie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Chani
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2003, 06:36:30 PM »
Just be careful she doesn't take it upon herself to put your boys in with the girls...

"Surprise!"
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single rat."
Brylewin Rattery
Registered breeder with AusRFS (NSW)

Offline Dearpie

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • When you're too open minded, brains fall out!
    • Dearpie Hammocks
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2003, 06:36:58 PM »
I just hope she doesn't 'accidently' let them all together to 'play' .....  :worry:

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2003, 06:53:06 PM »
I just hope she doesn't 'accidently' let them all together to 'play' .....  :worry:

My thoughts exactly.... :confused:

Same with your Mom Striped.

I think you both need to take your mothers to the Parental Unit Repair Shop. Something is obviously broken.
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Noe

• Posts Too Much!
  • There is no path - the path is made by walking.
    • The Rabbit Forum
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2003, 07:02:02 PM »
How can she even consider bringing more rats into the world when she knows there are so many abandoned ones who need a loving home?!   :BlueDumboBigEyes:
The Rabbit Forum
Making the web better for bunnies.

SADCAT

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2003, 07:17:33 PM »
stripedrats, ditto. I thought she would know better considering all of the volunteer work we've done (and still do) together for homeless animals. She's seen it, yet she still wants to contribute to it.. *shakes head*

Ensie, could it be the fact that she won't be getting any grandchildren from me perhaps? Heehee... wouldn't be surprised.

Dearpie and LittlePixie, I hope my mom is smarter than that... as far as I know she doesn't handle the rats without my knowing. But I'd be worried about going anywhere and leaving her to take care of them.  :-\

Lenore, I honestly don't know... and the way she acts like it's all just a big joke makes me all the more frustrated. She doesn't take me seriously when I tell her it'd be just plain WRONG.  :confused:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2003, 07:18:24 PM by SADCAT »

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2003, 07:25:48 PM »
Ensie, could it be the fact that she won't be getting any grandchildren from me perhaps? Heehee... wouldn't be surprised.

Don't you have brothers who could do that for her?
~Ruthie
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

SADCAT

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2003, 07:27:17 PM »
Pffft.. don't they have to leave the house at least once a year for that to happen?  ::)

Ensie

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2003, 07:35:56 PM »

My mom DIDN'T want me to have any pets back when I was still next-in-line for producing grandkids. My mom actually asked me once: "Don't you think it's better to focus on having kids?" kids, as in not pets. :P Um . . . no, I don't. ::) (Fortunately, my SIL is pregnant and, better yet, my sister had twins.) That means I'm off the hook. ;D But my family still thinks I'm weird. Dogs are normal. Cats are normal. Puppies and kittens are cute AND normal. Rats don't cut it. Baby rats? Not a chance.

SADCAT

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2003, 07:41:28 PM »
Well I can be glad that my mom adores the rats... just stinks that she wants them to breed. Andrew better have kids eventually, because there's no way I'm going down that road. Just means less pet time. ;)

It's funny though... as far as I know she's all for spaying and neutering cats and dogs. But for some reason it's okay for rats to just breed constantly.  ::)

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2003, 08:09:51 PM »
Take comfort in knowing the boys will be neutered in one month. :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline Sabrina

• Posts Too Much!
  • wanna wanna BIKKIT!
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2003, 11:05:37 PM »
why is it that mothers always refuse to listen to their children (even when we are grownup) about things in which we are well-researched?

For example, I am two months away from a BS in Biology, but my mom NEVER listens to me on biological and health matters.  No matter how many facts I present, she always brushes over them...

I'm sorry your mom is being weird too, Sadcat; I guess there's nothing else you can do but keep telling her no.  These are your pets, so remind her that, if nothing else, you have the last say in what happens to them.  Then you get to try and be patient with any further nagging from her.  good luck!
Love, Sabrina
Forever remembered: Piper(4/19/03) Kaela(4/15/03) Ellie(5/19/02)

"You can be obsessed with remorse all your life, not because you chose the wrong thing... but because you never had the chance to prove to yourself that you would have chosen the right thing." U.Eco

mmm nicey bikkit

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2003, 11:48:04 PM »
Am I the only one around here with an awesome mother?
It's my dad who suxxors.
~Ruthie
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • meh?
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2003, 11:48:46 PM »
Show her these pictures
http://www.jotenheim.com/ratrescue.html

Good god, Anna! That is amazing.. I can't even imagine the smell of it. Thank god for people like you helping this guy out..
I am a cool signature. God-like. Worship my signatureness.

Offline PoppleImperative

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2003, 11:56:31 PM »
It's my dad who suxxors.

My mom is awesome. You're not alone.  :rattysmiley: And, yeah, my dad isn't so awesome. Hehe.

However, my mom did go through her "why can't we breed them" phase, though she has gotten over it, thank goodness. Sometimes I fear she might "accidentally" put the boys with the girls, or vice versa...sometimes she honestly can't remember who goes in which cage. I have to remind her that those with luggage go with the others with luggage, etc.  ;D

What gets me, is when I buy stuff from a pet store, or mention that I have 13 rats, people's first reaction is usually, "Oh, do you breed them?" Errmm...no.
*Kim*
 *Zoe, rescued treeing walker coonhound*
 *2 Cats, Sage and Duma*

Offline Kathleen

• Posts Too Much!
  • R.I.P. Delilah
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2003, 04:07:08 AM »
It's my dad who suxxors.

My mother is fabulous. She adores rats, but has never wanted to breed. She now keeps bunnies (because she developed a very severe allergy to rats), and only has rescues. She cares for her animals with amazing dedication.

My dad and I have always had a tough relationship, but he has always loved my animals. He really likes the ratties, and is absolutely great with nearly all fuzzy creatures -- for some reason, nearly every fuzzbutt he meets just adores him.

Offline BabyBlue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2003, 08:41:02 AM »
Sadcat just be happy that your mom loves them enough to think they should breed. My mom thinks i should let them all die then get no more rats, and get a "cute" pet  :worry:

I'd be careful tho like someone said, of your mom "accidently" letting them play together. Perhaps a padlock on the cages? ;)