Author Topic: Mom rant (yes, rat-related)...  (Read 7989 times)

SADCAT

Re:Mom rant (yes, rat-related)...
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2003, 11:12:42 AM »
Methinks I should invest in a lock for my bedroom door... just to be safe. ;)

Naw, I know she wouldn't intentionally breed them... it's just her laughing, joking attitude about the whole breeding issue that gets to me. It's not something I find funny, knowing how many rats (and other overbred animals) can't find homes every year. I think when Parchisi had her baby and it died and I was really upset over it, she got the notion that I'd want to breed again so I could experience healthy babies. What she doesn't understand is, Parchisi's pregnancy was an accident, and a perfect example of what can happen due to irresponsible breeding practices.

Ho hum! At least she loves the rats, and defends them when people say anything bad about them as pets. And she would never think me crazy for spending thousands to save their lives. She knows how much I love them... she's just messed up on the baby issue.  :P

Offline Apopli

• Posts Too Much!
  • rwoar!
    • ScrapYarnProject.com
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2003, 11:26:48 AM »
My mother is currently trying to encourage me to breed dogs. Last year it was cats, and back when I was helping with the Quarter Horse/Thoroughbred cross-breeding project (I got to handle the stallions. Go figure... I was the only one not getting paid and I got the dangerous job), she thought I should get into breeding horses.

Not only do I not have time to handle the responsibility (I did or helped with most if not all the work on the horse breeding project. I've seen and done what's involved), but seriously. I'm just getting by half-decently comfortably as it is. She yells at me everytime I buy new clothes for spending money, and she wants me breeding purebred dogs!?

And anyhow... there's tonz of purebred dogs at the animal shelter already.

Offline TCR

• Simply Irresistible!
    • Triple Crown Rats
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2003, 11:39:57 AM »
I went away for a week in January, I had my mother come and petsit my rats. I told my mother "Do not let anybody out of their cages, especially the girls." Not because I wanted to deprive my guys of freetime exercise but just because I did have some girls that would come out and go off in places where the boy cages are. I know their hiding spots, but someone else wouldn't.
I come home, and find one of my girls looking pregnant some time later. I actually took her to the vet thinking something was wrong with her because her stomach was oddly shaped, more like she had 2 saddlebags hanging out of the sides of her stomach. She was pregnant...and delivered 15 babies. Counting 22 days back from when she delivered, it was clear she got pregnant a few days before I came home.
I questioned my mother about it and to this day she still insists that my girl had snuck out of her cage but she put her back in the cage shortly after, and that she doesn't understand how she could've gotten pregnant.
I was really upset because I'd already had a high number of rats and know how hard it is to find good homes for babies plus, the girl that got pregnant was way too young to have babies...she was 3 1/2 months old when she delivered. Fortunately everything went well for her and all the babies...she amazed me with how good she was during the delivery and seemed a natural at being a mother. But my mother tells me, "What's the big deal? Go on the computer and find homes for the babies, or buy some extra cages and keep them." As if it's really always that easy! Though I was able to find great homes for some of the babies and did keep quite a few.
If it wasn't for the fact that I know this particular girl that got pregnant has a habit of trying to sneak out of the cage without me knowing, especially when she's in heat, I really would think my mother did it deliberately. I think what's funnier is when I was younger, I was always bringing home stray dogs and cats, or orphaned wild animals and my mother's favorite lines used to be, "No more animals!" or "Stop bringing them home!" yet she was so indifferent to my rat having babies.
Owned by: Kahega, Chilukki, Gaviola, Arazi, Gander, Ella Bella, Gemelo, Arromanches, Rubiano, Starine, Tinosa, Vesta, Balto Star, Hap, Nasello, Obeah, Slick, Spike, Celera, Cozzene, Farda Amiga, Giaco, Glacken, Paseana, Sakhee, Got Milk, and Nuala.

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2003, 12:51:59 PM »
mom says I have a sick maternal instinct, because I hand raise baby rats and the mouse once in a great while..

that's how I get my baby fix..