Author Topic: Making rat hammocks?  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Kris1114

• Rat Lover!
Making rat hammocks?
« on: April 08, 2003, 06:24:38 PM »
Since my rats eventually chew through their hammocks, I have decided to take a stab at making my own. I have to start saving money, i can't keep buying new ones. I don't really know how to sew, and only my mother owns a sewing machine. I don't know anything about making hammocks, and was wondering if someone could lead me step by step.

Also, how the heck do you attach those gromets in the corners?

I tried doing a search on the internet and didn't find much.

Offline angelratgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • why do rat noses fit so perfectly in your ears...
Re:Making rat hammocks?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 06:29:55 PM »
there is a tool that you can get at most walmarts and just about any fabric store for attaching grommets. some look like big pliers, others have a two piece kit that requires you to have a hammer.  the kind you get also depends on the size of the grommet.  the pliers thingies can run upwards of 10-15 dollars, but the refills for the grommets are cheap so it is a good investment as long as you dont lose them.

do you have access to the sewing machine.

it is acctually very simple to make the hammocks if you have access to a machine.  all you need is some good strong fabric (fleece is the fabric of choice for my girls) and some bias tape(you will want to buy the extra-wide double fold bias tape) which you can find at any walmart with a fabric section.  

1. use a felt tip marker to draw your pattern on the fabric in the size you want (make it a little bit bigger than the size of the space you want to occupy to allow for a nice hammock effect - i.e. droop) the shape should look something like this:

2. cut it out

3. fold the bias tape around the edges of the fabric, like so:

and pin in place
4. stitch it on (preferrably in a straight line)
now all you need is a way to hang it!
punching grommets into the corners is about the easiest method.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 07:07:51 PM by angelratgirl »

Offline Noe

• Posts Too Much!
  • There is no path - the path is made by walking.
    • The Rabbit Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 06:30:16 PM »
The Rabbit Forum
Making the web better for bunnies.

Offline TCR

• Simply Irresistible!
    • Triple Crown Rats
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 06:41:12 PM »
I think I make mine the lazy way. I just cut a jeans leg or old towel to a measured size then poke holes in each corner and use big S-hooks to hook onto the cage.
Owned by: Kahega, Chilukki, Gaviola, Arazi, Gander, Ella Bella, Gemelo, Arromanches, Rubiano, Starine, Tinosa, Vesta, Balto Star, Hap, Nasello, Obeah, Slick, Spike, Celera, Cozzene, Farda Amiga, Giaco, Glacken, Paseana, Sakhee, Got Milk, and Nuala.

Offline LoveMidnight

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I love Ratties!
    • Broadway Beads
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 06:51:01 PM »
I do mine a simple way too as we go through them to fast, I pick out a few colors of cheap material, the kind that is like 99 cents a yard at the fabric store.

Fold over a few layers, cut a couple of holes on each each and use 4 of those cable ties (zip ties) and attach it with those.

Since I dont like doing laundry I just replace the hammocks each week, and its pretty cheap this way, the cable ties are pretty cheap as well.

They love them at least! :) We ran out of old clothes long ago lol

-Marie
-Marie, Jay, Andrew and two rat babies!
Beaded RatTailz Jewelry: http://BroadwayBeads.etsy.com

Offline Kris1114

• Rat Lover!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 07:11:03 PM »
Thanks, I appreciate all  the input I can get!