Author Topic: WHOA!!! Something is strange here..  (Read 3844 times)

Waynesbrat

WHOA!!! Something is strange here..
« on: April 08, 2003, 06:46:21 PM »
I know Im a newbi and all.. Well I did make it to a JR member  before the change but anyhow..  Somewhere I thought I read that it's a HUGE no no for Rats to be with mice. Like dont ratties kill mice?  
I went to my local pet store today just to look and I SEEN a mommy Rattie nursing 3 baby mice.  :shocked2:.. Im going back there with my Dig cam tomorrow.  Just to show you all. Am I right dont ratties EAT mice??? How could this one be taken care of them???
I asked the guy at the pet store WHY she was in with the mice... He told me the Kid (he is only 16) that was working there yesterday sold the mamma mouse for snake food   :'( and the Ratties babys are old enough to eat. He said so I  put her in there to see what would happen cause the mice babys were going to die either way..  

Offline flambled

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Have a Rattastical day!
    • RATtastical
Re:WHOA!!! Something is strange here..
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 06:55:14 PM »
I've heard of rats doing that before.  I even read about a rat nursing a baby rabbit somewhere.  Let us know if the mice make it.

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Was A Rattie Mommy For 9 Years...
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 07:29:08 PM »
I've done it before. At work, these people brought us in pinky mice,  the mother escaped, they were keeping them all in a cardboard box, but thats a different story! Anyway, rats will attack full grown mice, but they will usually nurse anything resembling one of their own. The mice grew up to be happy and healthy, even after they grew fur, they acted like little ratties and wrestled with all the other baby rats. It was adorable.  :BlueDumboSmile:  Eventually they did have to be separated cuz we didn't want the mice to get killed. But it can be done for the sake of the meeces.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 07:29:46 PM by Kellz625 »
Someday I will have ratties again, until then, chaotic (yet fun) mama life keeps me busy!

stripedrats

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 07:47:31 PM »
My boys LOVE my mice! They always play together and my boys take care of them like their own children. One time, Tessa my mouse was going too close to the edge of the boys' cage on top, and Hawkeye lightly pulled her tail with his mouth so she was next to him. here are some pics:

http://home.earthlink.net/~naturegrl13/html/hawkmice.html

Here's my fav pic and I'll just post for the sake of it  :rattysmiley: :

Offline -Kelly-

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Was A Rattie Mommy For 9 Years...
    • My FaceBook
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 08:02:12 PM »
I guess it's all in their personal temperment. And if they are used to mice. Rats are predatory animals as well as prey. They eat things like mice, small birds, etc. But I think a rat who grows up with mice is the same as a cat who grows up with a mouse or bird or rat. They figure out that they are just other pets, not a meal.
Someday I will have ratties again, until then, chaotic (yet fun) mama life keeps me busy!

Offline quellykin1

• Posts Too Much!
  • umm, whoooo took my muffin?
    • Any Rat Rescue
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2003, 12:31:56 AM »
What a sad situation at that pet store! It would so hard to resist taking the rat and the mice!!
I would occasionally put my mice on the bed with my rat Kessie. They were VERY interested in her but she'd just push them away like annoying little ankle biters.
With each new rat, I hold them up (and hold them tight so they can't react) to a defensive mouse so the mouse can take a couple swipes at them. That way the rat has a little respect and fear of the Mouse Disneyland area of the room! So far that has worked out great. *looks for wood to knock on*

www.anyratrescue.org
Trekkies, Earl, Sloane, Stripes, Rocky, Kaci, Kada, Bailey, mousers

Waynesbrat

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2003, 01:49:33 AM »
There is no way I can bring home anymore Ratties...I'm awaiting my eviction Notice in the mail any day now because of the ones I already have.. NO where in my Lease did it say I could or couldnt have Rat's.. But my kids had one of the neighbors kids over to play and that kid went and told his family  apt #6 has RATSS!!!!  They went and told the landlord that we were breeding them :0(... I didnt breed any Ratties.. But One of my hairless females was about 5 days preggers when we got her.. I had NO idea.. We got rid of all her babys  :( I wanted to keep a few..  But agenst what I wanted we gave them all away so they wouldnt think we were breeding them.. Some ppl are so hard headed.. They *think* they will get out  breed and they will have a rat problem here.. UGHHH !  Makes no since to me at all.. I know it has nothing to do with that  only that they are rats and have a bad rep  :'(...

Offline Sonya

• <:3 )~~~
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2003, 09:34:56 AM »
There is no way I can bring home anymore Ratties...I'm awaiting my eviction Notice in the mail any day now because of the ones I already have.. NO where in my Lease did it say I could or couldnt have Rat's.. But my kids had one of the neighbors kids over to play and that kid went and told his family  apt #6 has RATSS!!!!  They went and told the landlord that we were breeding them :0(... I didnt breed any Ratties.. But One of my hairless females was about 5 days preggers when we got her.. I had NO idea.. We got rid of all her babys  :( I wanted to keep a few..  But agenst what I wanted we gave them all away so they wouldnt think we were breeding them.. Some ppl are so hard headed.. They *think* they will get out  breed and they will have a rat problem here.. UGHHH !  Makes no since to me at all.. I know it has nothing to do with that  only that they are rats and have a bad rep  :'(...

Maybe you could get them spayed / neutered ( if you have boys) and get certificates from the vet.. that would clearly show you are not into breeding.

If your rats are all females then at least write a note stating that your rats are all female and you will not bring any male rats into the home.
Rattie kids: Wheelie and Nosie, Ernie and Elmo, Badger and Sky, and Rumple!

Offline Publius

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ratherder, on a couple of online games.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2003, 09:50:54 AM »
Gail, read your lease carefully, and contact your local Landlord/Tenant Association, if your county/state gov't has one.

If your lease says NO PETS, you're in trouble. If it doesn't, they might be in the wrong (see below, on vermin).

If your lease says CAGED PETS OK, they're in trouble. If it says CAGED PETS, then lists several types but not rats--it's a gray area. I think you can make a good case, however.

If your lease says PETS LESS THAN (20 or 25) POUNDS, they're in trouble.

Your local jurisdiction may have statutes concerning "harboring vermin" which can give you problems.

The most *important* thing you can do is know your rights as a tenant, and know the laws in your area. I wish you the very best of luck!

--Victor, former landlord.
Rat Happens.

Waynesbrat

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2003, 12:29:00 PM »
Whew where to start with all this. Ok i guess with the Ratties we have 3 boys 6 girls. YES they are seperated and are going to stay that way.. Secondly I checked into haven the boys fixed  at $130 EACH there is just no way.. I have called every vet around and no one is any cheeper then my reg. vet..   So on to the lease.. It says  No dogs over 30 pounds.. And says No exotic pets.. I didnt think the ratties fell in either of them.. The mention snakes and monkeys but not rats or caged animals peroid..  The thing is I dont mind moven for my ratties. Makes no difference to me. Just finding someone that will rent to me with them is going to be a problem..  Wish me luck guys thanks