Author Topic: Opinions about missing cat  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Ratmommy93

Opinions about missing cat
« on: July 22, 2014, 08:50:13 PM »
Hello, I normally post on the rat pages but I do own a wonderful cat. He is going to be 6 next month. He is an indoor outdoor cat. He has disappeared for a week before but it's not normal. Before it has been a week tops.
Well trouble has been gone for two weeks now. According to when the neighbor said he saw him last. Three weeks from when anyone in the house has seen him.

Iv gone to the pound multiple times to look and am daily checking with the  humane society daily. I also have posted to a ton of cites and drove the neighbor hood and surrounding neighbor hoods.

My question is in you guys opinion when is it time to decide he's gone and won't be waiting for me on the porch? 

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Opinions about missing cat
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:52 PM »
That's a hard one to say, unfortunately. My grandmother had a cat go missing when I was young and he disappeared in a snow storm. We thought he was dead but he turned up 3 months later, skinny and hungry.

There may be a chance someone else has taken him in, thinking he was a stray. Perhaps a month or so? I think it's really up to you and how long you're willing to keep looking.

Offline Ratmommy93

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:05:14 PM »
It's very possible someone took him. He's had collars disappear as soon as I put a name tag on it. But he hates being locked inside. And he won't use a litter box so I figured if someone had him they would get fed up and let him out.

I don't want to give up on him because he is my baby!! But I feel like it'll be harder for me the more I cling to hope.

He also is a fighter and gets hurt often and has FIV( feline immune virous) basically cat HIV and it makes it harder for him to get over illnesses

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:42:06 PM »
Yeah, my guy has FIV too (previous stray that I took in).

I think it's really a personal choice and there is always the chance that he might just show up out of the blue one day.

Offline Ratmommy93

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 12:10:54 AM »
It just sucks because I don't want to lose hope but it's getting harder to imagine him comeing home healthy if he comes home

Offline RattieEnthusiast

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:37:16 PM »
I just wanted to share my story. We had out cat go missing last summer on July the 1st when the fireworks were let off. Clearly it must have really spooked her while she was outside and she ran off. We spent a long time looking for her and doing everything you had done to try to locate her (she was also micro chipped) but were never successful. Two months later she turned up on our doorstep, slightly weary and thin looking but overall in pretty good condition. As you can imagine we were shocked to see her, in the months she was gone we had been answering all sorts of phone calls from people in the neighborhood who THOUGHT they had seen her but when we went over in hope, we found what was a different cat completely. The cat in question is an amazingly deadly hunter (to our dismay) so it was not surprising that she had managed to sustain her body weight fairly effectively whilst she was gone. I guess my point is that it is okay to hold onto some hope that your cat is out there somewhere being looked after by some nice stranger (we have done that with stray cats ourselves). Two months is a long time for a cat to be lost but we still ended up getting her back when she just stumbled back onto our doorstep. Good luck.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:13:30 AM »
Please post fliers stating he is FIV positive.   Have you posted to craigslist.   Plus if you do find him, please keep him inside do he doesn't infect other cats or continue to get injured.   If he's fighting with other cats he's spreading FIV.

Offline Ratmommy93

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 11:44:38 PM »
So my Trouble has been gone for over a month now. After cyber stalking the human society's website hopeing to see him I couldn't help but look at a new fur baby. Then I went in to fill out a card where if they get a call about a animal meeting the description they will contact you. So while I was there I looked at the cats I had my eye on and fell in love with one. He is everything I wanted out of a cat if I got another.

He is 3 years old neutered and such a cuddler. Which is what I was looking for. U want to adopt him he's been there the longest. He came in February 14 2014.

My question is, is it too soon to adopt him?