Author Topic: An unintended litter of adorable.  (Read 5151 times)

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
An unintended litter of adorable.
« on: October 31, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »
This has been chronicled in the Happy Thread (well, it started in the Vent Thread) in Random Chatter, but it was suggested I make a thread here to document the cute, so here I am!

My neighbors got a cat last year - a kitten - and she quickly became an outdoor cat when mom realized she was allergic (I'm still not completely sure I believe her). I heard her meowing long  before I ever saw her, and when she did wander into my yard, she had a collar and microchip tag, so I assumed (apparently wrongly) that they'd done all the necessary vetting (i.e. spaying). I was wrong. Almost two months ago, she strolled across my driveway looking like she swallowed a cantaloupe. I went into damage control mode - had a chat with the neighbors, who agreed she needed to be spayed (turns out this is her second litter at only about 14 months old :(), loaned them a big crate with specific instructions to keep mama (and kittens when they arrived) locked in at all times for their safety, and got some towels for them from the greyhound adoption group where I volunteer. I got them a couple cans of cat food because mama was super skinny. I told them to check back with me if they had any questions or needed help with anything.

Then I went home and emailed my friend - we met while volunteering at the shelter and when she retired, she moved to the country and opened a rescue. She's the kindest, nicest person I know. I asked her for advice on how to deal with a pregnant mama and the future kittens, and she offered to fund the spays/neuters and vetting and adopt them out once they were old enough - we only had to keep them confined in the crate till then.

The kittens arrived on September 26 - 4 of them!

I went over for a visit, made sure everyone looked good, and said I'd check back as time went on. I went over a couple days later when the neighbors weren't home (sneaky! :yelcutelaugh:) and tried to examine all the kids. The crate door was open (contrary to my instructions, but I just figured maybe they forgot that morning, or thought they'd closed it and mama had pushed her way out) and mama was wandering around the yard. I picked up a kitten (who mewled at me) and tried to take a couple pictures, but mama very gently took the baby back to the crate.

A week later, the neighbor's son rang my doorbell at 10pm and asked if I'd seen his cat and her kittens - they’d been leaving the crate door open all the time and mama had moved the babies. I resisted the urge to yell at him and said I'd help him look for everyone in the morning.

I went out the next day when no one was home. I looked under their shed, under their deck, peered under their house - nothing. I didn't hear meows and mama sat in the middle of their yard, watching me. I every day and but had no luck. A week later, the neighbor rang the doorbell and said he heard the meowing under their house. I told him to let me know when he was going to go under and fish them out - I'd help. Another week passed without anything. In the meantime, I started feeding mama some good wet food - she was skin and bones and if she had any hope of keeping her kids alive, she needed food. Soon she was spending all her time at my house, rubbing up against me, purring like a machine...

Last Friday, I saw the neighbor and asked if he'd gotten the kittens out from under the house yet. He said that his parents decided the mama moved them there for a reason and they should just leave them be. I couldn’t press the issue at the time, but it’s all I thought about for a couple days.

On Sunday morning (October 26 - exactly one month after they were born) I woke up with one thought: "I have to get them out from under the house today." I ate breakfast, cleaned up our sunroom, made room for the crate, and went over to talk to the neighbors. I suggested that the kid crawl under the house to retrieve the kittens, and he said "Okay, sure." I crouched next to a vent and listened for him, ready to grab a kitten if he had one. The mother came out of the house and looked at me funny so I told her what we were doing. She said "Oh, okay" and left to go shopping. The son said he found one and told me to meet him at the door. I sat outside their crawlspace entrance and waited, watching the light from the flashlight get dimmer as he got deeper in. I waited and waited. Finally the light started to get brighter and brighter until the neighbor rounded the corner with a fuzzy grey kitten clutched in his hand. He handed her to me and went back to see if he could get another.

I took one look at the little one in my hands and my heart broke.

I tucked her into my jacket to keep her warm and emailed my friend. I told her that the kitten would definitely need vet care. The neighbor crawled out empty handed a few minutes later - he almost had one but it slipped under a vent, and he didn't see any others. I asked him to keep trying throughout the day (he didn't) and called my dad to help us move the crate from their house to ours.

We got kitten and mama all settled in and I cleaned the baby's face with a warm washcloth. Mama and baby roamed around the sunroom for a while before I let mama out to go take care of her other kitten.

I rushed out, bought some kitten milk replacer, and picked up a free cardboard box from Total Wine. The kitten (who I guessed to be a girl based on my limited knowledge of the back end of a cat) and I spent the rest of the day side by side. When she was hungry, I mixed up some milk and fed her. When she was sleepy, I cocooned her in a fleece blanket and kept her on my lap. Since mama was busy with the other kitten, the baby spent the night in her box in my room and she didn't make a peep all night.

Come Monday morning, my friend set up a vet visit for us at 11. I dubbed her Carter (after Samantha Carter of Stargate) and she came to work with me until her appointment. The vet checked her out and said she was definitely a girl, had a URI, ulcers on both eyes, and kitty herpes. The vet insisted on a more feminine name, so we went with Sam. We were loaded up with meds and a trap for the remaining kitten and we headed out. I went home to settle Sam into the crate with mama and see if I could get the other baby out of the neighbor's crawlspace. I suited up and went in, but couldn't find anyone. After inhaling too much dust, tangling myself up in a cable, banging into their vents, and bruising my knees, I gave up, set the trap, and hoped for the best. Mama stayed in the sunroom with me and Sam and didn't seem at all interested in going back out.

I forced her out later, hoping she'd lead me to the other kitten. She didn't. She showed no interest at all in going back over to the neighbor's house, instead only trying to get back in my sunroom. I checked the trap one last time for the night and (after many hours agonizing over my options) made the difficult decision to keep mom in with Sam and hope the other kitty got hungry enough to check out the stinky wet food in the trap.

Tuesday morning, I fed mama and gave Sam her meds before checking the trap. I wasn't hopeful. It's getting chilly here at night and I didn't see how a little kitten could survive without a mom for that long. I walked around the neighbor's house as quickly as I could and prepared myself for an empty trap. Ten feet away from the entrance to the crawlspace, I heard a pathetic little mew. I stopped and listened. I heard it again. I ripped the door away from the wall (it wasn't attached, just leaning! I'm not the Hulk) and there he was - a fluffy little kitten with clear eyes and no mud anywhere on him. We rushed back over to my house, I gave him a quick once-over to be sure there wasn't anything wrong, and put him in with mama. He started nursing immediately. Sam snuggled right up to her brother (who I named Mitchell after Cameron Mitchell from Stargate but then renamed Dean because Mitchell was too much of a mouthful).

I reset the trap just in case anyone else was under there, but came up empty. Out of the four, only two made it, which breaks my heart, but at least we got these two and they're getting healthy and loved. I have a ton of pictures, but here are just a few for now:

At the vet, sulking after the thermometer:

Dean! He always looks a bit surprised and/or worried:

And he has such neat fur coloring.

Snuggling in my lap on Tuesday - I think she was happy to have her brother:

I love Sam (she stayed like this for half an hour):

Happy Halloween!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:26:50 AM by RooRat »
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
Re: An unintended litter of adorable.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »
I apologize for the length of that...Turned into more of a novel than I planned! If you made it through to the end, congratulations! :yelcutelaugh: And yes, mama kitty will be spayed before returning to her life as an outdoor kitty (unless I can convince the neighbors to let her find a new indoor home, which would be preferable...).

They're moving to a new foster home this weekend (I'm going out of town next week :() and I'm going to miss them like crazy.

Also, I'm considering adopting Sam when she's old enough. I've fallen completely in love with the little kid. Thing is, I'm not a cat person. I've never had a cat, never lived with a cat, etc. Can anyone share what it's like to have a kitty?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:31:42 AM by RooRat »
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 10:46:50 AM »
Hooray!!  :)  They're all so adorable. 

As to life with a cat?  It really depends on the cat.  LOL  Kittens will drive you crazy with their energy and playfulness, and then tug on your heart strings when they want nothing more than to cuddle up next to you.  Cats will drive you crazy with doing things they know they're not supposed to do, and then melt you when they come looking for attention. 

I adore my kitties.  Can't imagine life without them.  :)

Offline AnnieB

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:35:52 PM »
My  :heart: kitty was named Sam (short for Samhain, which, yeah, should sound like SAW-ain, but whatever  ;D ). 

Cats are great!  I'm definitely a cat (and dog) person...

They're a lot less demanding time-wise than dogs are.  My cats always seemed much more self sufficient than my dogs...

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
They're taking their first tastes of mama's canned food! :hyper: I'm grinning like a proud mom  :yelcutelaugh: Sam also ran and bounced around the room for the first time. And Dean isn't actung quite as nervous about me today! We had a little snuggle :D

I'm really torn. I've been wanting a fuzzy pet to love and care for for a long while now, but the timing has never been right and the right let hasn't come along. Rats are wonderful, but pricey, and it's hard to find a decent rat sitter around here, and all the supplies and goodies and vet care are intimidating. Dogs are my thing, but they require a bit more time and attention than I can currently give. A cat seems like the perfect in-between pet - loving and fuzzy but independent enough to be okay if I have to stay at work late. Never did I expect to find a kitten would pull at my heart like this - but I know nothing about cats. How to care for them, how to interact with them, what they like.. I'm basically completely feline-ignorant. I can get lost in the cat aisle, looking at all the choices. And even though I'm completely intimidated by the thought of having a cat (what if I mess something up!?) I'm still thinking of all the ways I could spoil a kitty... I have to decide how serious I am about this fairly soon - since they're moving to a new foster home before next week, I'd want to make it abundantly clear that I have dibs. How hard is it to care for a cat and raise a well-balanced kitten?
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 01:50:06 AM »
Cats are pretty easy. The only negative to kittens is some can be a little rambunctious in the middle of the night. Not all are that way and they do grow out of it. Dont reinforce it. If they wake you up early wait until later to feed them or pay attention to them or they will start doing it every day. Squirt bottles with water are the good for redirection. Using noise can wake up others in the house. When maynard was little he would start at 4am trying to get someone to play with him. Eventually we ended up having to give him a squirt and tell him were sleeping. After a bit we just had to say were sleeping to get him to leave us alone.

To save your furniture get a tall scratching post with carpet or sisal if you can afford one. Short ones are fine and you will want a floor scratcher thing so they can scratch that way too. With some redirection and praise they will leave your furniture alone. I have only had 2 cats that would not stop scratching the furniture and they were both siamese.

Cats are pretty resilient to whatever comes their way. If your home fine, if not fine. If you dont have a toy they are interested in they will find their own. I have one that only plays with wadded up receipts. Open a bottle and give them the ring from the cap. Take some crinkly plastic off a bottle and they will play with that. I have a cat that steals the straws out of your drink. His other favorite toy is a zip tie. All of mine like catnip although a few didnt at first. Its fun to pick up a toy here and there to see what they like or just toss stuff on the floor that looks like fun to bat around.

Things to keep them safe. They like to jump. You want to make sure there isnt some tiny wobbly pedestal they can knock over because if they dont jumping on it they will running around the house. Although with only one cat the running isnt too destructive. In my house 3 will get going at the same time and it sounds like a herd of elephants.

Plants, some will eat them and some wont. There are lists of really bad plants to have around I would make sure there isnt anything in the house on the really bad list. I have a cat that will eat plastic plants so nothing green is safe.

Thread, if you sew make sure the thread scraps and spools are out of reach. It can get get stuck in their intestines. They are pretty good knowing what not to eat but keep an eye on kittens until you know what they like to do. Plus they teethe and like to chew.

Start trimming claws early. Dont bind them it only makes them more afraid. I set mine on the bathroom counter put my right arm across their back and hold a paw with my left hand and trim with my right. All but one of 8 could care less. Frank freaks out but he also panics when he is held.

I put dry out in the morning and feed canned in the evening when I have more time to referee the situation. With one or two cats you can do whatever works for you.

The best way to combat litter odor and keep the box cleaner is to have the litter super deep. I keep mine at least 6". I use just over 25lbs to fill the box.  I never have any problem with ammonia odor or a wet litter box bottom. Tractor supply has some nice high sided pans for cheap. Their store brand litter is really good and cheap too. 

When first starting kittens on litter its best to use non clumping plain old clay litter. I had a kitten that would eat the litter and got bound up. He was fine it just took some work to get his intestines emptied.

Cats are liquid. It takes a lot for one of them to get hurt. Of all the worrying I have never had a cat severely injured while away for a few days. I cant think of any of then getting even a little hurt. I have locked one in the closet for 2 days but it was fine. I have one cat that likes to close doors so we have to put kiddie bumpers on them so he cant shove it closed and lock him and others in the bathroom or bedroom.

Of all the cuddle pets Ive had cats are the easiest. Ive had rats, hammies, birds, dogs, snakes, lizards, chinchillas. I keep up on their rabies and do their full vaccinations for the first year and then every 3 years after that. Do not go the FIP vaccine. Distemper is rampant in our part of NC so make sure you keep that up to date.

The only way you can mess up a cat is to start doing something you dont want them to keep doing. An example, giving them water out of the bathroom sink, your cup or any other place inconvenient should they decide they prefer it to their own water bowl. Letting them have food off your plate. Some can be brazen enough to take it off your plate while you are eating.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 04:35:05 PM »
Wow, thanks for all of that! I'm leaning towards adopting her, and I'm excited.

The neighbor just came over to visit Lorena - reached down to pet her and she swatted at him and tried to bite him  :eek:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 07:57:04 PM »
Wow, thanks for all of that! I'm leaning towards adopting her, and I'm excited.

The neighbor just came over to visit Lorena - reached down to pet her and she swatted at him and tried to bite him  :eek:

Oh my...lol  :yelcutelaugh:  Cats dont put up with BS.  ;D

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »
No kidding :yelcutelaugh: I left her be for a few minutes after he left, gave her a handful of dry food, and she rubbed all over me, purring. Think she likes me ;D
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline littlewolf

• Animals heal a soul faster than anything else
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 10:53:01 AM »
They are adorable

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 04:32:50 PM »
Mama and kittens are all moved in to their new foster home! I successfully didn't break down into tears (though man was I close ::)). The people are extremely nice and have fostered kittens and mamas before. Plus, they have a HUGE basement that's their foster area, so the kitties have tons of room to play and explore. Of course, since this was Lorena's first car ride in who knows how long, she bolted right out of the carrier and into a dark corner and I didn't see her before I left. She'll be fine - they'll feed her a couple times and all will be well. She's highly food motivated :yelcutelaugh: They might get a foster sibling, too. My friend got a call from someone who found a 4 or 5 week old kitten who needs a place to go. If Lorena will accept it and it's healthy, Sam and Dean will get a friend.

Also, I officially put a hold on Sammy - as soon as she's ready to be adopted, I'll get her back and have a two week foster-to-adopt trial period :D If all goes well, I'll adopt her. I'm very excited! And I need to make a list of stuff to buy... :eek:

Oh, and Dean's actually a girl (my mistake ::)). But I'm still going to call her Dean because I've been calling her that for a week now and it stuck :yelcutelaugh:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 07:39:05 PM »
When I read she went away I was bummed that you werent keeping Sam and then glad to hear you were giving her a test drive when she was ready. I think sam is a good fit for your situation. You get some furry love without having the time commitment a dog is and the financial burden rattie medical bills can be. Plus the rattie short life is a bummer.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
I got to visit today!

They're doing very well and their new foster sibling is coming along. She arrived Friday and was mostly feral. She now tolerates the foster parent holding her, but I tried to cuddle her and she scratched me (I asked if I could hold her, the foster parent said yes and handed her to me, then the kitten hissed and scratched me and THEN I was told she's feral ::)). Mama kitty isn't so sure about the new addition - she keeps growling at all the kittens, but she's still playing with her babies occasionally. I'm sure she'll come around, and the foster parent isn't too worried about it.

Now, a question for you cat people. People keep telling me that having two kittens is easier (and better) than having one. They'll keep each other company and play when I'm at work during the day. When their foster mom was explaining it today, it reminded me of what we say about rats. You can provide all the cuddles in the world, but you can't fill that need for on-their-level play and grooming and same-species cuddles. And it got me thinking... Should I adopt both of them? I definitely wouldn't MIND having two adorable kittens living with me :wink5: I asked one friend what she thought and she said that littermates would bond and be fine. Then I asked my other friend her opinion and she said that she'd warn against adopting two of the same sex from the same litter because they tend to get territorial... She has two boys from her foster litter (as well as three female cats, all adopted), so I feel like she knows what she's talking about, but... I just want this to be as stress-free for all involved as possible (kittens and humans :yelcutelaugh:). If that means adopting just Sam, fine. If that means adopting Dean too, also fine. I'm really good either way - I just want what's best for the babies. Does anyone have advice? :help:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 06:16:30 PM »
If it were me, I'd bring them both home.  :)  Cats really do well with a friend, IMO.  Murphy was happy on his own, but even happier when we brought Isis into his life.  :)

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »
If it were me, I'd bring them both home.  :)  Cats really do well with a friend, IMO.  Murphy was happy on his own, but even happier when we brought Isis into his life.  :)

Seems like most pets do better with a friend... I'm glad you said that, too, because I got really really excited about getting both (because Dean's FACE) and then really worried after my friend told me it wasn't a good idea. Everyone else has said "It's probably better this way - go for it!". Phew! :yelcutelaugh:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 04:05:50 PM »
The little girl looks really good especially after how bad her eyes looked.  :)
Its kind of a crap shoot. I could  tell you the dynamics of my bunch but that may not apply to your kitties. If it were me I would get both. Even my cats that don't really like each other will play with each other. Who else are they going to play racetrack with, you definitely aren't capable of the speed or maneuvers required. lol  My advice is if one leaves the house take both. For whatever reason that seemed to be the turning point for my related cat relationships. The coming back with the strange cat smell from going to the vet seemed to cause issues.
 Are your allergies going to be an issue? My husband did adjust and no longer has allergies to our cats so it is possible.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 06:03:01 PM »
Sam's beautiful, clear, sparkling gaze! You saved their life and her SIGHT!!!  :bow:
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 09:12:47 AM »
I'm not sure I ever actually had allergies! I had them from Sunday to Sunday. I felt awful until Wednesday, and then I was completely fine. I'm wondering if perhaps I just had a cold, or was allergic to something else... Regardless, my friend's giving me a two week trial with Sam (still have to put a dibs on Dean, too) to make sure that it wasn't a cat allergy. I had one of those allergy tests done a couple years ago and wasn't allergic then, so...Fingers crossed!

I'm also trying to make a list of all the things I'll need to get and the things I'll need to do before the kids come home (which should be either next week or the week after).

(Basically, this is the "How do I cat?" section :yelcutelaugh:)

Things I know I'll need:
-a cat-proof room (because aren't you supposed to keep them in a smaller space when they're young before giving them full run of the house?)
-two litter boxes (at least - though a third would probably be a good idea if I can find a spot for it!) and the litter
-food (duh)
-food and water bowls (is ceramic good, or should I go with stainless steel?)
-toys!
-scratching post/cat tree (I brought my dad to the store to shop for cat trees [because they're huge and I'm not strong enough to lift one] and he took one look at them and said "No way - I can build that for less!" so this weekend we're going to build one ::))
-grooming stuff - brushes and nail clippers? I should get them used to being handled and brushed and nail-clipped while they're young, right? What about baths?
-carriers - just one while they're little or should I start with two? Should I get a big one for both of them or two small ones?
-I suppose a fluffy kitty bed or two would be a good idea as well

What am I missing?
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 11:19:15 AM »
Sounds like you have it pretty well covered!  Hopefully what you had was a cold, and not allergies!  :)

It's a good idea to start them in a small room so they know where the litter box and such is, and then allow them more room as they want to explore.  :)

Definitely get them used to brushing and nail clipping early.  As for bathing, it's rare that you actually have to do it, honestly.  I think in more than 15 years of having entirely indoor cats, we only ever had to bathe Beaker once, and that's because he peed on himself in the carrier on the way to/from the vet.  We had to bathe our outdoor cats more frequently when I was younger, but the indoor ones don't get real dirty, in my experience.

I would get 2 small carries, myself.  When you put two cats together in the same carrier in a stressful situation, they might take it out on each other.  So it's better to have each one in a small carrier.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 11:21:23 AM »
I would get 2 small carries, myself.  When you put two cats together in the same carrier in a stressful situation, they might take it out on each other.  So it's better to have each one in a small carrier.

That's what I thought - just wanted to be sure! I want to get them comfortable with the carriers early on...Is there a particularly good way to do this?
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 03:49:51 PM »
Put them out and let them explore.  Put cozy cloth in them.  With mine, it's been hard, since they were older rescues, so the box, to them, meant being dumped...  :(

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 04:12:37 PM »
Get a carrier with twist locks for the sides. The clip ones come open too easily. Even the expensive ones. They are convenient but if dropped or heaven forbid in an accident they just pop open.

I use a medium carrier and take both even if only one has to be seen. My first brother and sister pair did so much better when I took both of them. Plus its easier in an emergency, we have an insane amount of tornado warnings, to have one hand free for something else. Ive had two cats that didnt fit in small carriers by themselves. My gigantic siamese even busted the handle on the medium carrier. I was horrified as she went plunking down the stairs, and then I couldnt quit laughing and was still horrified.

I leave the carrier out and they are just drawn to it. I have one cat that is impossible to handle, Im very thankful that he loves the carrier so I just have to put it out and he climbs right in. The funny thing is he is such a love bug, just dont try to hold him or pick him up.

The only time I keep kittens in a small room  is during QT. You dont need to worry about that. My kittens that werent separated have been more social with the humans and not so much to themselves. If they are by themselves and in a room like a bathroom they tend to cry a lot.

If they are using the litter good where they are now they will be fine. Take some of their old litter with you and put it in their new pan. They will figure it out either way. When I first take them home they spend a few hours in the area where the box is and then they come out supervised. Sometimes they can get lost in their little world if its a big house so I take them back to the box every once in a while. When little Ive kept the box close to the bedroom where they sleep.

Make sure you get a set of cat claw clippers (scissor type) and not people clippers. People clippers mess up the nail and cause the sides to peel away too soon and makes it painful. You can use them in a pinch. The snapping sound can freak them out too. Cats are self cleaning. No baths required. lol Ive only had one that wouldnt leave you bleeding after a bath. A very few like water. I had one cat that would get in the fireplace and needed a bath. She tolerated it but hated it. I know cats are bathed a lot in japan. Ive seen videos and I just cant put the poor thing through all that for no good reason. One of my cats chester is so clean that he smells like clean clothes and he doesnt sleep in anything that would make him smell that way.  ;D

Ceramic is fine. They like to tip water over on accident so I put the bowls in a serving tray with a lip to keep the water in when it gets dumped. Mine get a clean bowl for water and food everyday. I have 6 so it works out when they are being washed.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 06:43:28 PM »
I'm having second thoughts  :-\ I'm just...not a cat person. Individually I like them but the thought of having one (or two!) in the house is just...not all that appealing. Does that make me awful? I just... I don't know. I know I'd love them but there's a part of me that is still saying "I don't think this is a good idea..." No matter how much I try to ignore it, it's still there, and it's getting louder.
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 12:48:58 AM »
I'm having second thoughts  :-\ I'm just...not a cat person. Individually I like them but the thought of having one (or two!) in the house is just...not all that appealing. Does that make me awful? I just... I don't know. I know I'd love them but there's a part of me that is still saying "I don't think this is a good idea..." No matter how much I try to ignore it, it's still there, and it's getting louder.

I see a pattern. You want something to care for and care about but i think deep inside you dont feel you deserve it. I know you focus the reasoning on the negatives of an animal but there are no perfect animals or perfect animal parents or perfect conditions to keep them in.

Over the past while you have mentioned several animals and honestly given your situation now and in the future I think a cat or cats is actually the right pet for you. They arent needy. They are affectionate but dont make you feel like they have to have attention all of the time. They do their own thing. What i liked about the girl kitten and her cuddling is i feel like its something you could benefit from. Its unconditional. Plus they are entertaining. At one point we had 2 dogs and 8 cats in the house. The dogs had to be around us all the time the cats do what i call drive bys. They come visit for a bit and then go play.

The negatives is depending on the cat....well you cant train them to really do what you want. I can get mine to use the scratching posts but if they are running around the house you really cant tell them to sit.

Unfortunately with cats there is some level of accepting what they do even if you would rather they didnt. They go counter surfing. However, my cats rarely get on the counter. We dont leave things out that they are interested in so they dont bother looking. I do find frank sitting on the breadmaker for whatever reason he also likes to sit on the printer and in any box he can find.

Sometimes they take things. My husband leaves his clothes on the floor and one of them drags them under the bed. Lol

They run around like they are in the indy 500, not often but it happens. We have trained them not to at night. Bugging us for attention in the middle of the night. Frank the usual offender checks to see if your awake first. Lol

In our house we call them entertainment. Just spend some time on you tube comparing funny cat and dog videos. Cats win hands down.  ;D

Kittens still have to learn the rules so it tales some patience until they learn or grow out of it. So leaping on your face in the middle of the night because they see you eyeballs moving can happen. Although having more than one takes some of the attention off you. It also gives a better chance of getting snuggles when you need it.

Im not saying you have to take them in. I really feel you will enjoy them. And most important your need to love something and be needed and loved will have a home. This ultimately is what is driving your desire for a pet in general.

You need to stop overthinking things. What ive learned being similar in thought is to bounce it off someone that knows you and if they think its ok then it probably is. I use what i call a normal people control. I compare my thoughts and feelings to how a normal person would handle things and try to come to a middle ground. I also feel like i dont deserve things or most often when things are going well i start to get anxiety expecting bad things to happen. I have a loving husband but i cant do without my warm fuzzies that love me no matter what.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 02:31:57 AM »

I see a pattern. You want something to care for and care about but i think deep inside you dont feel you deserve it. I know you focus the reasoning on the negatives of an animal but there are no perfect animals or perfect animal parents or perfect conditions to keep them in.

+1 million.
 :heart: :heart: :heart:
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats