Author Topic: An unintended litter of adorable.  (Read 5217 times)

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
Re: An unintended litter of adorable.
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 05:35:54 PM »
You're good, Forky. Like, really good. :eek: I realized fairly recently that I talk myself out of things and, without even consciously thinking it, have this "You shouldn't do that/get that/have that - you don't deserve it" feeling - which I do realize is very unhealthy and probably indicative of some other issue entirely ::)

I'm going to go ahead with the kittens. They're getting spayed tomorrow (I think - no one seems to know for sure...) and I'll bring them home either Black Friday or the day after (since I won't be home for Thanksgiving). It'll be a two week trial to make sure I'm not actually allergic (want to be sure!) and then I'll see how it goes. I spent some time at my friend's rescue with the dogs and cats and, even though I'm not a cat person, I enjoyed the kitties much more than the dogs. The dogs were sweet, but the kitties were more relaxing to be around :yelcutelaugh:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »
 ;) It stems from another issue usually a result of parenting habits, but the OCD that creates the other anxieties is the same that runs the other stuff through your head. I really think you are doing good at pushing through your anxieties, knowing they are unfounded really helps and that knowledge usually comes from the outside, the strength comes from the inside.   

Im glad you are reconsidering the kitties. I really had a good feeling when you mentioned you were interested. Plus they smell better than dogs and you dont have to rush home to let them out...or stand in the rain repeating "do your business". lol  If you need a dog later, as long as the dog isnt prey driven, they get along just fine. I would have the kittens introduced to a dog so they arent so afraid of them later.

I rented a rescue cat. My husband the cat hater was hooked. Then it just snowballed from there and its his doing that we have so many cats. lol Be careful, you could turn into a crazy cat lady too.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 11:47:53 AM »
They've decided to give Lorena up for adoption so she can be an indoor kitty!  :hyper:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 01:37:19 PM »
They've decided to give Lorena up for adoption so she can be an indoor kitty!  :hyper:

Thats so good to hear!!!  ;D
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 03:15:07 PM »
 Yay! :hello2:

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 08:10:27 PM »
That's awesome!!  :)

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »
The kids have new names! Dean is now Xena and Sam is now Hetty.

Hetty is a lap cat. It could just be because she's not feeling well (URI - she's on antibiotics and is starting to eat voluntarily again!) and she misses her mama, but she absolutely has to be in my lap or in my shoulder at all times. Xena is a little spitfire who loves to play and bounce around but she has her snuggly moments and she purrs like a machine. Adoption isn't officisl yet - still trying to make sure in it allergic. I feel stuffed up and sniffly, but this happened last time and then I was fine a couple days later.
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 09:10:23 PM »
I've had them almost a week - been fun!

Xena still has soft poo but it's not as bad. Hetty's sniffles are clearing up, but she breathes loud so I think I'm going to ask my friend about a vet appointment for both of them.

I'm still not sure I want to adopt them. I'm having a lot of fun, but I'm tired! I still have a week in the trial so I'm going to really think about it. Part of my hesitation is that I really love Hetty but I'm not completely in love with Xena. I'm actually not even completely comfortable around Xena. She's adorable and she purrs rather cutely but she's the kind of kitty that has always set me a bit on edge - extremely playful, nippy, claw-y, spastic, and somewhat unpredictable. I've learned that she doesn't really like being petted - she'll tolerate a couple cheek rubs but then she starts biting (I just hold my hand there and let her do all the "petting" herself :yelcutelaugh:). She's also very spastic with playing - she'll be playing with a toy then run across the room and attack my knees or hands (even if they're completely still)  :-\ I've never ben completely comfortable around cats and cats like her are why. On the other hand, if I mostly ignore her and only pet her once or twice and then do something else, she seems fine. I get that she's a kitten and some of it is just "kitten" but...

Hetty is a completely different story. Now that she's feeling better, she's really playful and energetic, but not aggressively so like Xena. She plays as much as she wants to and then she comes over and snuggles. I can pet her. She eats her meals and then comes to sit on my lap and do her post-meal grooming. She likes to ride in my shoulder (like Pete used to) and she follows me around the room to see what I'm doing. She's absolhtely darling and while she does occasionally nibble, she stops quickly when she realizes that it's part of me and not a toy. She's much easier to redirect than her sister.

I feel awful about it but I definitely click more with Hetty than with Xena. I keep wishing I could just adopt Hetty but I'd feel horrible if I split them up. On the other hand, i know plenty of cats are perfectly fine growing up without a feline companion. I'm so torn. They've just had such a rough start and I want the rest of their lives so be as smooth and good as possible. Every time I let Hetty out of my sight, she ends up in worse shape than when she left.
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 09:54:17 PM »
That is typical kitten behavior. Puppies do it too. But those little kitty claws can be painful I know!! :-X
I wouldn't dread too much on it. She will definitely grow out of it. And if she's like all the cats Ive had/have eventually they will want you to drag the toy around in their vicinity so they can paw at it, but not actually have to chase it. LOL
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2014, 12:04:27 AM »
Kittens can be a little rough. I think zena would benefit from a toy that you move around like a laser or a stick and string with a toy on the end. My cats get tired after a few minutes of running after whatever you move around. Then they are pretty chill after that.

Did you find a scratch post with a perch? You dont need anything fancy. My cats take out their frustrations on the posts an like to be up high.

I have gently scruffed biters and told them no biting and then put them down. Ive also shoved my finger into their mouth saying no biting. Eventually no biting gets the point across. They do settle down. An example is the first christmas with maynard and punk they wouldnt leave the fake tree alone and i would come down the stairs to find it had exploded with little kitty help. There were even parts in the kitchen. Now that everyone os older they don't bother the tree.

It sounds like they arent really attached to each other and hetty is attached to you. If it comes down to you not being able to handle zena i think you should consider keeping hettie. Its ok if you separate them it would be better than hettie not being with you.

My husbands first experience with kittens was a little rough for him. They are busy and spazzy and night creatures but it does get better.

If the claws are too much you can nip off a tiny bit of the end and they arent like needles.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2014, 08:22:13 AM »
I have a toy on a stick - the other day she went absolutely bonkers for it for two hours straight. Yesterday was about an hour and a half of psycho-running. Hetty enjoys it but prefers the toy to be drug on the ground - she's not much of a leaper and prefers to stalk. Xena loves to leap and flail. It's pretty entertaining ::)

I have a scratch post with a dangly rattley ball on it and a cat tree with sisal rope around each "leg". They love these but for some reason my legs are still much preferable to Xena.

I tried the gentle scruff and "No biting" this morning. It seemed to work with my hands (she stopped once or twice when I said "No biting" after I'd scruffed her a couple times) but my toes are apparently much more interesting. I'll try the finger thing if the scruff thing doesn't work - I've done that on dogs before but didn't think about it for a cat. I keep reading stuff online that says not to "discipline" your cat because it'll frustrate them, but I have to do something... :BlueDumboBigEyes:

Mom is worried about the Christmas tree - we're getting it next week once we're all better (colds all around - fun!). Luckily the munchkins are still locked in their room a majority of the time, so they'll only be around it when supervised.

They cuddle and wrestle quite a bit, but it's obvious that Hetty doesn't have quite the same psycho-stamina as Xena. They'll play for a while, perhaps half an hour, then Hetty will try to move on to a different game - a crinkly toy, a jingly toy, crazy scratching on the post, whatever. Sometimes she just wants to snuggle with me and relax. But Xena keeps at her pretty constantly until Xena finally gets tired. I think it's that whole "Most worked up before falling asleep" thing - our foster pups always had that. They'd get fussy and growly and then finally pass out. But when she's doing this, they're usually in my lap because that's where Hetty goes when she's done playing.

Any other tips for redirecting psycho-kittens? She's perfectly cute and sweet and seems to want attention, and then when you give her the attention she starts biting (this is why I've always been very wary of petting cats - a couple not-great experiences). Mom isn't comfortable around her. Dad finds her really entertaining, but he's always wearing shoes and holding the stick with a toy on the end, so... She reminds me of one from the litter my friend and I fostered - none of us liked her cause she was really spastic all the time :yelcutelaugh:

I'll try the nail clip today and see if that makes her outbursts more tolerable. I brushed them the other day - Hetty loved it and hopped back up for more, but Xena tried to eat the brush then my fingers ::)

ETA: She really reminds me of Pete when she does this :BlueDumboBigEyes:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 08:30:21 PM »
Alright, I'm thinking that as much as I love these little kids, I'm just not cut out for cats. Or I'm just not cut out for kittens. They're adorable but they're driving me nuts! I think I'm going to tell my friend I've decided to let them find new homes. Maybe in the future I can try an older cat. Say, 6 or 8 years old. I think I'd love an older cat - out of the "tear around the house for three hours straight" phase :yelcutelaugh: Do you think I should insist they get adopted together or can they be split up? Hetty seems to get sick of Xena easily, and Xena is back to shoving Hetty out of her food bowl, so it's not like everything is flawless between them.

The neighbor kid came over today and asked when his cat was coming back. I told him to go ask his mom. She signed the surrender papers and should have told him - it's been two weeks! Poor kid.
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2014, 10:56:29 PM »
Since they arent really getting along if I was you I would try hetty by herself. None of my kitten groups are really close with each other. They play occasionally but dont hang out together. If hettie and zena acted like they needed each other it would be different but it sounds like they are just going to get on each others nerves. What about their mom or would that be too uncomfortable with the neighbors.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 09:30:49 AM »
Their mama would drive me even crazier - she's like Xena on speed.

I emailed my friend. I have a feeling I'll have Hetty longer than Xena regardless - she's still sniffly and a bit wheezy, so I don't know if they'll want to hold off on spaying her until that's cleared up. Her antibiotics run out tomorrow, so I think a vet visit is in our future.
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »
You might ask the vet how they feel about giving her antiviral meds such as acyclovir (Zovirax), vitamin A and lysine. I have no experience with any of them. I had a cat that had the condition when he arrived at the rescue I got him from but never had any problems with it.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2014, 10:54:29 PM »
Hetty seems mostly okay now, which surprises me. No snot and only a bit of wheezy noises.

Xena has decided that everything she's seen for a week and a half is now absolutely terrifying. She used to be so outgoing and now she runs when're there's a noise or someone (mom or dad, both people she's familiar with) enter the room. She's acting almost possessed. It's really odd. She's still eating fine (slower, though, which is actually good because she used to wolf down her food), still plays (but only with her sister - it's like toys that aren't alive aren't interesting), poops fine (but meows while she's digging in the litter box beforehand), and lets me cuddle her (but doesn't purr as often - usually only when I give her food and am alone with her). But it still seems like there's somwthing off, like something has completely freaked her out or she's getting cabin fever or something. They're not allowed to roam the house and are confined to one room (they're small enough to get everywhere and refuse to leave wires alone, so unless ice follow them around the house and watch them like a hawk, they can't be out), but they have a ton of toys and a cat tree and scratch post and bed, water, and food. I haven't been giving them as much attention because I've been sick for a week (feeling better now, but see Vent Thread for the story of my first time passing out, and in the shower no less! :yelcutelaugh:) so maybe that's her problem. I'm going to spend some time playing with the toy on a stick tomorrow - maybe that'll help... :-\ They will hopefully have a vet appointment this week for their spays and I'll bring this up then if it doesn't get better with a little attention and play time.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:57:23 PM by RooRat »
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!