Author Topic: Will vanilla hurt a mouse?  (Read 110 times)

Offline notsaying

Will vanilla hurt a mouse?
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:37:25 PM »
I have a male mouse and if I don't find a way to reduce smell, then you will be reading a re homing post (room mates, not me- I'm pretty nose blind- are giving me an ultimatum). Anyways I read something about putting non alcoholic vanilla in his water and was wondering if that would cause him harm.
Thanks
NS

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: Will vanilla hurt a mouse?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 03:09:23 PM »
No, it wont cause him harm, but watch out for aversion to his water. He may become dehydrated if he notices something "off" about his water as he may stop drinking completely or not as much. I feel for your room mates. Male mice can be quite... potent... If the vanilla doesnt work, and the only other option for you ends up being dropping him off at a shelter that will likely euth him before he can get adopted, ask your vet to neuter him. I had 5 mice I had neutered. 2 did not make it becuse they had silent pneumonia in both lungs. You mouse must be very healthy because its a big risk for such a small creature, but let me tell you it GREATLY helps with the smell! I did not even do it to reduce smell, I did it because I felt bad that they had to be kept alone (as male mice do 99.9% of the time) and wanted to get them some girl friends. The reduced smell was an unexpected extra benefit.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline notsaying

Re: Will vanilla hurt a mouse?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 12:42:23 AM »
Thank you so much Kitsch Slapped! I'll try this out. I really don't want to lose him, so fingers crossed!
I'll also make sure to keep an eye on him to see if he is still drinking water.