Author Topic: Catching a Small Dog  (Read 708 times)

Offline ratlady1990

Catching a Small Dog
« on: July 15, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »
So there is a yorkie that runs loose around our neighborhood.  It is out every couple days and has two spots where it gets out from what I have observed.
The problem has been brought up to the owner many many times, and she has brushed it off each time.  One of the last times she said, "well he'll come home eventually."  Which he does, after running around the streets.  If we walk towards him he immediately starts heading home, then once there he starts barking at me.
He is a real little dog though really fast.
Just now, he got into a back part of the fence where he dug a hole out.  The owner immediately scolded the dog saying that he "shouldn't have done that, don't get out of this yard again, bad dog, very bad dog."

He doesn't seem interested in approaching any of us so he has no interest in treats.
How should I go about catching the dog?

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Re: Catching a Small Dog
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:23:11 PM »
You should contact animal services, there'll be a fee if the owner wants him back, he must be vaccinated, and in some states/counties neutered, before he can be returned.

If you really want to catch him and not involve the law: if he is small enough you can set up a cat trap baited with something strong smelling (egg, tuna, caned dog/cat food, peanut butter). Or you can slowly gain a relationship with him by tossing him bits of left over meat or kibble for a few days until he approaches you ( don't look at him or acknowledge him when you do this, staring can be intimidating).
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy