Author Topic: Seizures in dogs  (Read 929 times)

Offline StarlaBlaze

• Posts Too Much!
Seizures in dogs
« on: August 31, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
My 12 yr old Chinese Crested Isabelle. Had another seizure today. Her dad use to get them too. If i take her to the vet will they still have to do all kinds of blood work? I read online and the bloodwork is to rule out underlying problems causing them. But Isabelle inherited them from her dad. So its genetic right? Can they just give her meds for them?
Isabelle,Ozzy,Mojoe,Spanky,LilyRose,MoJo2, Charlie, Sassy(dogs), Livvie an Ouija (Rats)
Cubby,Luna,MrGrey, Lincoln, Safari, Shadei, Starla, Odyss(cats)  BeBe Girl(Iguana)  Frankie( Bearded dragon)

Offline A_STEW

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Seizures in dogs
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 02:31:34 AM »
It could be genetic, but it could also be a possible million other things. If she's 12 and they haven't been a problem until now I would 1000% advise getting blood work and any other tests the vet deems appropriate. Not knowing the cause of the dad's seizures is another reason to get her checked, as they are very serious symptoms. It could be something like epilepsy, or a tumour, or kidney failure, or so many other conditions. I would say blood work is probably the most basic test the vet will suggest in a case like this.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
Re: Seizures in dogs
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:16:11 PM »
In cases of genetic epilepsy, they generally start having seizures between 2-5yrs old. There are some exceptions, my dog started having seizures at 5months old and it was determined to be idiopathic epilepsy that was likely genetic after running lots of tests to rule everything else out (bloodwork (CBC, chemistry), titers for distemper, CSF tap, MRI, etc.).

I think she most definitely needs to have a full work up done. It may be something that can be treated to prevent the seizures (like a metabolic disorder) or it could be that she just needs to be put on an anti-epileptic medication (like phenobarb or potassium bromide). It is possible it is something genetic, but if this is her first seizure at the age of 12, I'd be leaning more towards a brain tumor or other disease versus actual epliepsy. The other issue with just starting meds is that nearly all of the seizure medications have potential side effects and it is good to ensure the dog's organs are functioning like they are supposed to before starting the meds.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I dealt with epilepsy in my dog from 5 months of age until we euthanized her a few months ago at 12yrs old. She was on 3 different anti-seizure drugs as well as going through nearly all the possible complications that go along with them. I'm fairly well-versed in this disease unfortunately...
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)