Author Topic: Soft poo; diarrhea; foam  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
  • They all have my heart...
    • Robin's Hammocks
Soft poo; diarrhea; foam
« on: November 12, 2013, 01:58:36 AM »
My puppy is sick and unsure what it is or what to do. Was curious if anyone else experiences this or has...

He is 16 weeks old, German Shepherd. He is a big boy already, going on 50lbs. He's been great but his poos have never been solid, always mushy.

Well yesterday evening it turned into diarrhea, continued in to today, I tried the tricks my vet said (chicken, pumpkin, rice) nothing helped.

Well now it isn't diarrhea, it is a tan foam, literally. All it is is a bunch of bubbles. I could tell because it was hissing I was all "WHAT!?" and took a flash light outside and it is nothing but foam and it was the bubbles popping I heard.

I called his vet, I should hear back in the morning for suggestions.

But I am thinking his food and it's really just gotten to him?

He is acting 100% him, not slowing down or anything.

Offline Sidders

Re: Soft poo; diarrhea; foam
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 02:53:54 AM »
Has your vet done a stool sample? It sounds like it could be Giardia which can be common in puppies. My puppy had Giardia as well, although he was asymptomatic. My vet put him on a course of Metronidazole and all his subsequent stool samples came back clean after that.

If it is Giardia, you'll want to get him medication ASAP, as it is both contagious to you and your other animals.

(P.S. Pics please!! I absolutely love GSDs and am looking to own one in the next few years. :))
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:55:40 AM by Sidders »

Offline Robinkwr

• Posts Too Much!
  • They all have my heart...
    • Robin's Hammocks
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:11:24 AM »
He has had 2 done in the last month in a half now. I am training him to become a therapy dog so they have to come back clean. His first he had round worm eggs and his last was just recently turned in and came back clean.

This morning he is back to a mush/diarrhea - Still waiting to hear from the vet just in case.

Our family is GSD lovers, too! It all started with a puppy my parents got for their wedding. My dad trained him to be a narcotics k9 to work with him. After years my dad left that job and we just had an awesome companion and ever since that is about the only dogs we own. They are amazing, and super smart. Best protectors out there.

The two we have right now...

Odin (16 weeks)
Most the photos are from night time (when he is actually calm :BlueDumboSmileTongue: so they aren't the best)

When he was 9 weeks

I do spoil him a bit... he usually sleeps on my bed with me, lol.

...and he usually sleeps like this...

This is Jerry Lee, he is going on 6yrs

And then July 29th I lost my baby Ruby Lee, she was 13yrs old. :heart: Still hurts... bad...

Here was our first, our drug dog, Chase. He was a Black and Silver. He was awesome. I grew up with him. He was a tiny puppy right when I was born. He passed away at 13 of cancer.

Then Chase had a girlfriend, Molly. She passed away of old age around 11

:heart:  :heart:  :heart:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:13:38 AM by Robinkwr »

Offline Meatball

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 11:40:40 PM »
I would have the vet do a direct smear on the fecal. They smear some poo on a slide and stain it to see if there is an overgrowth of bacteria. You could see if they will try him on Metronidazole, it's an antibiotic for the gut and generally helps with diarrhea after a few days. Another thing you could ask for is Forti Flora. It adds "good" bacteria to the gut and also helps diarrhea. Sometimes a dog could have negative fecal checks because the parasites are not always shedding the eggs, and most of the time you need to see the eggs. Just a few suggestions.....good luck!

Offline wishbone

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 10:33:14 PM »
I got nothing to add here but hoping your gsd pup will be feeling better soon. I love those old photos of yours, your family surely had wonderful dogs and lived a full life! :)
My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 01:49:49 PM »
How's he doing? I don't usually stop into the dog section of the forum but I saw the thread title and had to come and see. It sounded like my experiences with parvo (minus the vomiting and lethargy, of course) and I was worried. I hope he's feeling better!
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!