Author Topic: Best/safest and QUIETEST wheel for rats?  (Read 167 times)

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
  • lap rats, Pete and Ross.
Best/safest and QUIETEST wheel for rats?
« on: October 09, 2017, 08:09:32 AM »
Hi all,

I found an older thread on here where folks were suggesting the Silent Spinner and the Wobust Wodent Wheel, but thought I would see if folks have any updated recs.

After having squishy, lazy boys for years, I have found myself with six (!) rescued females, and they LOVE TO RUN (and poop...and smoosh the poop) in the wheel, instead of using it as a rocking chair like the boys do. I currently have a Wobust wheel but am looking for something that might be quieter/smoother/easier to clean/just a tad better. I am happy to plop down a bit more $$$ for a quality wheel if it has proven to be a good investment for others.

Besides the Silent Spinner (which is currently 30ish bucks on Amazon! seems expensive for something that might be dinky), I was eyeing these other models:

-Silent Runner: https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Runner-12-Wide-Exercise/dp/B01B15GZ1U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1507550710&sr=8-4&keywords=silent+runner

-Chin Spin 15": https://www.amazon.com/15-Chin-Spin-Animal-Exercise/dp/B01GJ6SDBQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1507550827&sr=1-1&keywords=chinspin

Any suggestions or comments appreciated!
Currently enjoying the company of Daario, Zuca, Groot, Rachel, Phoebe, Einstein, Breadstick, and Charlie.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Best/safest and QUIETEST wheel for rats?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »
We've tried them all over the years. We now have the biggest Wodent wheel, and paid extra for the sandpaper-like running strip that goes inside. The strip helps keep their nails down and seems to reduce the pooping inside. All our boys run in it some, the older baby boy the most and my old man the least, and they also love it for mock fighting and sleeping. We have it attached to the side so sleeping and fighting under it is also a Thing.

When I had busy baby foster girls, sometimes I'd get one trying to run up facing one way and one the other, both working their butts off but offsetting each other so the result would be a gentle rock back and forth.  :yelcutelaugh: And before we had to separate them we had a clever little brother who, when his sisters really got the wheel going, would walk around it, hop on the side, and ride it over the top WHEEE then hop down at the last minute, walk around and ride again.  :hyper:
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:26:34 PM »
I've never used a wheel but the Wodent Wheel and the Silent Runner seem to be the most popular (and also the most affordable). The size of the Chin Spin is nice but I'd be a little skeptical of a permanent cage fixture with wood components (when my boys aren't chewing, they're peeing).

I've also looked into the Stealth/Magnum and Velociraptor wheels. They're a bit more expensive. Also, they're apparently made from bucket lids and other stuff that you can get from the hardware store. The Stealth wheel people also offer the Freedom Wheel that looks interesting but I haven't seen any reviews on it yet.

I've also heard some good things about the Lenka Wheels (also not cheap and imported from Israel).

Offline mamarat2

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratlover
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »
I always liked Silent Spinners of the larger size.
Interested in adopting?  Check out Small Angels

www.smallangelsrescue.org

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 02:14:55 PM »
I have a couple of large Wodent Wheel (Wobust size), and like them quite a bit.  They are quiet and come apart easily for cleaning.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline purple rat

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:33:27 PM »
I've always used the large Silent Spinners, attaching them to the side of the cage instead of using the stand :)
proud mama of Spock, Merlin, Goober & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter, Abbott & Bentley

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
I forgot to mention, about the Wobust Wodent Wheels, that for some reason there was less pooping in when 1) I attached the wheel to the side although I had a stand, and 2) I sunk the money for the sandpaper-like insert. Go figure!  :doh:
--Best, Mountaintop--