Author Topic: Pine  (Read 2247 times)

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
Pine
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »
I've read that Pine and Cedar are not safe beddings for any animal. But I have come across contradicting information regarding pine use for rabbits. It is not safe correct? I'm asking because I wanted to know if using pine bedding temporarily for rabbits is safe.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Pine
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:13:29 PM »
If I remember correctly, studies show that pine and cedar used for rabbit was shown to elevate toxicity levels of something in their kidneys. Even when used in only their litter boxes. Along with respiratory issues.

Some people debate that kiln dried pine with NO odor whatsoever is safe. But most people agree that it's unsafe. If you look around, there are still websites saying dog food that's 90% filler is safe.  ::) I wouldn't risk it. I imagine for a day or two it wouldn't be bad, but I can't even handle having it in the house. It makes me and all the animals sneeze and get runny eyes.

Offline xXSweetxNightmareXx

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »
A couple of days shouldn't hurt, but I agree with RattiesSix, and just wouldn't risk it. If you like wood shaving bedding, aspen is nice(though like all wood shaving beddings, gets everywhere!), though I swear by paper pellet litter(you can get it for cats or small animals, but if you get the cat version you get a bigger bag for your money. Just make sure it's only paper!).

^Click to see my blog thread!^

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 11:24:29 PM »
I usually use Aspen, but just wanted to know if Pine was a possibility since it's cheaper. Thank you.

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »
I don't recommend pine. Aspen isn't much cheaper. I know pine makes me sneeze, can't imagine living in it.
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline CarrieD

• Posts Too Much!
    • Yale Road Adoptables
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 11:22:41 PM »
Whatever else it is, it's messy, messy, messy. I bought a bag of pine when I got my boys, and using it lasted about 2 days before I decided to try something -- anything else. Every time they move they're flinging it out of the cage. I had really good luck with just plain old hay before my boys were in a pen and litter trained. Six months later, and I still haven't figured out a good use for that bedding. LOL I may use it for bonfire starter.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »
Out of curiousity, I looked at pine prices last time I was at TSC to compare to aspen. The aspen is 9.99 and the pine was 8.99 for the same sized bag.

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 04:37:21 PM »
Really? It seems like it was at least $5 cheaper. I won't buy it anyway since it probably isn't safe. I just can't afford to pay for my sisters rabbit, but don't really have a choice as nobody else will care for her.

How much are hardwood stove pellets? Are they cheaper than Aspen?

Offline xXSweetxNightmareXx

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Traeger-Industries-Inc-PEL313-Pellets/dp/B0015X54J8/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1329342543&sr=1-1

This is a twenty pound bag; with shipping it's twenty five dollars about, BUT it would probably last you quite a while, which is saving money in the long run.

^Click to see my blog thread!^

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »
Hardwood pellets are $5 for a 40lb bag at TSC.