Author Topic: Caging for SPCAs  (Read 1568 times)

Offline tailfirst

Caging for SPCAs
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:22:26 PM »
Hi,

I work at my local SPCA and I was interested in knowing what type of cages that are used for those that rescue?  We get quite a few small mammals, mostly rabbits, but guinea pigs and mice/rats.  However, not a steady stream like cats and dogs, but often enough to have their own room.  What we have now are similar to these: http://www.a1kennels.co.uk/a1_pets.html though much older.  I was just curious as to what other rescues use (or even those that keep many small mammals), looking for ideas on how to improve what we have.

Also, some ideas for good/cheap/interactive toys that can be disinfected.  Or ones cheap enough to throw away between animals...

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Caging for SPCAs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:25:58 PM »
Hi,

Our local animal shelter uses the same type of cages. Kennels with blankies on the bottom and a litter box, food, water, and hay.

Good toys that can be disinfected are baby teething rings, wiffle balls, jingly cat balls, etc. They're plastic, so you can just toss them in some vinegar and water.

Things cheap enough to throw away. If you go to this forum: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/index.php

There is a banner at the top that scrolls through. TONS of sellers sell wood by the box or by the pound. Wood chunks make great toys for chewing and tossing around. Some make toss toys that are $1 apiece and give discounts to rescues. That would be perfect, too.

Offline tailfirst

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:47:13 AM »
Thanks!

On teething rings, would they be hard enough for bunnies?  All I really see are ones you put in the freezer that 'stay soft' as one site put it.  Isn't there some sort of liquid inside of them?  I have a set of baby keys (the multi colored plastic ones) for my rabbit that I might buy for the buns.  Believe it or not, some of the dollar stores (General Dollar, Dollar Tree) don't sell the keys, a lot of teethers, not even plastic rattles...  So I might have to head to Walmart or something, maybe online.  I'd just hate to buy a bunch of overpriced toys, but since they can be disinfected, they'll last for some time.

Thanks again!

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:43:45 PM »
You definitely want the harder rings... Teething rings might not be the right word for it, or they must make a different kind. The harder rubbery plastic ones, like the baby keys, yep. :)