Author Topic: Dwarf Netherland Bunnies... They are new to me!  (Read 1326 times)

Offline lovinpretty9

Dwarf Netherland Bunnies... They are new to me!
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:51:26 AM »
I have kept pet rats for several years, but I've been too heart broken by their short lives/health problems and decided that bunnies may be a better option.  A local rescue has 2 bonded male dwarf netherland bunnies that are about two years old and neutered (which I believe means I can expect to have them around another 3-5 years).  They are less than 2 pounds each.  I have a cage that is 30x18x50" that I could set up with two levels (that would overlap partially so they could not fall from the top to the bottom).  Is this acceptable for dwarf bunnies?  I would plan to give them several hours of hop around time everyday in the same way I did the rats.

From what I've read many of the same rules of bunny ownership apply to rat ownership, as far as proofing the house because they like to chew on things.  I've read up on their dietary needs and plan to feed a prepared food as well as supplement with fresh veggies and timothy hay.  Is there anything else I'm missing?