Author Topic: NEEDED: A face 'harness' to stop pulling.  (Read 14652 times)

Offline BarebackDreamer

NEEDED: A face 'harness' to stop pulling.
« on: August 16, 2007, 10:40:28 PM »
I looked everywhere in Minneapolis/Saint Paul and everywhere around here, and I honestly can't find one. (That wasn't on a dog in the park.) Our dog is probably about medium sized. I'm completely exhausted after a walk around the block, and the stopping until the leash is slack does nothing at all for her. (Doesn't help that my mom just lets Cheyenne jerk her around.  :-\ )

Does anyone have one that I could buy?
.:Jessica:.

Previously Owned By:
Tina, Natalie, Lily, Jade, Cassie, and Shiela

Offline Starbuck

• Posts Too Much!
Re: NEEDED: A face 'harness' to stop pulling.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 09:16:25 AM »
Well I don't know if it helps. But there are two kinds that I know. One called a Halti, and the other is a Gentle leader.

Might help you look for where to buy one.

Offline Melissa82

• Imma get jou!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:24:04 PM »
Gentle leader is a good one, but can possibly bring out aggressionin dogs. My previous dog used to attack other dogs when she had it on, but was fine when she had it off.

Buddy Belt is an amazing leash! It goes around the chest under the legs. My dog can't pull as hard anymore, teehee.
http://www.buddy-belts.com/s_45.asp

Offline britters

• yellowseptember
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 01:35:32 PM »
try looking up dog muzzles online like from ebay or something... i know is it petco or petsmart has them. at least here in philly

Ratties: Ivory, Corky, Pipsqueak.
R.I.P boys: Mr. Jones, Ludo, Rocco.

Ratties: Ivory, Corky, Pipsqueak.
R.I.P boys: Mr. Jones, Ludo, Rocco.

Offline Blu Rat

• Posts Too Much!
  • I strive to be the person my pets think i am...
    • Neo Rattery
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 01:53:33 PM »
Barebacktamer,
I used the gentle leader with my older dog when she was young. She did not like it although it does help with pulling because it controls the dogs head. That being said I don't like those things because most people use them incorrectly, and I had mothers tell their children to stay away from my dog because "that doggy has a muzzle on". They are not muzzles. They are found under training aids. Here is a link to them at petsmart:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441777905&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032900&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1187372649346&itemNo=1&Ntt=harness&In=All&previousText=harness&N=2
 What I prefer to use with my current young dog , in crowded places when I need her close and not to pull, is the premier easy walk harness. It too controls the front of the dog but by attaching to a harness in front of the dogs chest.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441813427&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032961&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1187372650456&itemNo=16&Ntt=harness&In=All&previousText=harness&N=2
http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=75
Notice the clasp attaches in front of the dogs chest. I have a puller and when this is on she heels beautifully. It is more comfortable than the gentle leader on the dogs face. I also found it prevents jumping up on people however thats not what it was designed for.
Hope this helps!
Em

Offline DarkWolf

• Dark Wolf Rattery
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 06:03:43 PM »
"muzzles" won't do anything about pulling  ;)

i use a Halti on my husky mix because she's a puller. when i have it on her she's still a little headstrong but she's not obnoxious about it, like she is when i just have her with her normal collar on. i like the Halti as it doesn't force her mouth closed unless she pulls hard so she has have her mouth open for whatever she likes as long as she doesn't pull!

for anything like this i'd suggest just going to the store and buying it, or at least going to the store and fitting them on your dog to find out what size you actually need and then hunting around and seeing if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. i bought a halti from petco's site and it was way too big, and when i went back in store the one i bought was still big on my dog...but the one under it was too small. i know mine is hard to fit anything for, as she's an odd mix, but at least you'd know exactly what you'd need. and though my dog is pretty good with the halti i think a non pull harness, like someone above suggested, would probably work better on pullers.

Offline calicojenn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pray without ceasing, rejoyce in ALL things.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 07:08:11 PM »
Please! check to see if the breed the dog is is prone to wobblers before getting a head halter.