Author Topic: dog eating cardboard??!?!?!  (Read 19719 times)

Offline justjameo

dog eating cardboard??!?!?!
« on: January 09, 2014, 02:13:25 AM »
Usually I let my dog chew on cardboard boxes or rolls (paper towel, toilet paper).she loves to shred them and toss them around--more than any toy she has. Today I gave her a to roll, and before I knew it it was gone...she ate it. How bad is that for her? She's a rescue and the first few months we had her shed eat rocks and soda cans (that's what she was eating when we found her). Now, a year later, she's moved on to cardboard as a treat.

She's not hungry at all. She has a huge bowl of dog food that just sits there forfree eating. She can eat as she pleases, and she get between 4-8 treats a day depending on her behaviour.

Why is she doing this? :-\
Puppies: Buddy, Gato, George
Ratties: Pickles, Sammy, Kili, Fili
Kitty: Precious

A lot of animals for a college student.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Re: dog eating cardboard??!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:28:21 AM »
I'm going to guess for fun. I have a dog that likes to shred and consume bits of wrapping and another that prefers cloth. Dogs just have a tendency of eating their easily destroyed playthings. It shouldn't do too much harm, but if you don't want her eating anymore cardboard then you need to watch her closely and/or physically hold the tube for her. When she rips off a piece wave around the biggest chunk and encourage her to comr back to it rather than eating the smaller bits.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline Rattirat

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 05:05:39 PM »
I used to have this problem with my dog. She would eat paper, shred it up, and spread it everywhere. She eventually grew out of it. One time she even ate my sister's highlighter :doh:

Don't let her eat too much cardboard, or stop her all together. It could cause an intestinal block.

Offline justjameo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »
I used to have this problem with my dog. She would eat paper, shred it up, and spread it everywhere. She eventually grew out of it. One time she even ate my sister's highlighter :doh:

Don't let her eat too much cardboard, or stop her all together. It could cause an intestinal block.

EXACTLY!!
she chews up anything hard--or anything really--like plastic bowls, pens, and highlighters as well. i give her those big beef bones and she destroys them in a day. i had to stop giving her rawhides because she'd eat a few a day and that's really bad for them (none of my other dogs would chew rawhides so i never had that problem). she shreds even the "indestructible" toys thatre meant for large dogs.
maybe hooves?? i feel like shes destroy them too though lol

she may just be going through her chewing phase still, but could also just be a chewer since shes over a year old. darn:/

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 08:48:29 PM »
If you're looking for alternatives.

I have Pyr mixes with jaws of steel and though they do chip at these toys, they have yet to fully destroy them as they are super durable and pretty affordable. http://www.westpawdesign.com/catalog/dogs/dog-toys/guaranteed-tough-zogoflex I got these after my girls destroyed six or so sets of Invincible Chains and some other hard rubber toys that I found locally. You can also try some Kong toys, I'd recommend the black/extreme version because they're harder than the regular ones (my girls don't like them much but yours might, they're also good crate toys if you fill them with goodies).

And maybe these: http://www.goughnuts.com/
I can't vouch for them as I've not tried them but they look durable and are guaranteed.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline justjameo

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 09:11:31 PM »
shes able to chew through kong toys.
i find her chewing my grandmas glass pots for plants, and ive even found her in the bathroom with a bloody mouth because she got a hold of a razor and chewed the blades into tiny pieces. its so scary sometimes because i have no idea what shes getting into.

although shes chewed through kongs, shes not a fan of the rubber toys and will push it aside to find something she can destroy (i think thats why she chews...to destroy everything.)

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 10:14:19 AM »

It seems like eating cardboard is only the tip of the iceberg.  If she's chewing up razors and hard plastic things too, it sounds like this chewing of hers is a danger to her health.  My boyfriend's mom had a 4 year old yellow lab that just died from eating cloth.  She got it stuck in her intestine and was really sick.  They figured out what she did and surgically removed it, but by that point she was too sick and didn't survive the surgery.

It sounds like your dog needs to be watched all the time until she gets over this- you need to know what she's getting into and stop her from hurting herself.  It's just like having a toddler that eats things.  If she had swallowed the blades of that razor, she could cut herself open inside.  Is she crate trained?  If someone is not watching her, she needs to be somewhere safe where she can't eat things and hurt herself.  People have used baby-gates to keep a dog in the same room as them, or had the dog on a leash tethered to them so she needs to follow you around.  Also work on training- like "leave it" or "drop it" so she learns what she can chew and what she is not allowed to chew.  Also, see if there are other things she's allowed to chew.  If she can't chew the plant pots, she needs to have something she can chew.  Large raw bones can be good.  Other people have suggested toys.

Some dogs chew to destroy things because it's something to do.  How much exercise does she get?  Young dogs need real exercise and stimulation to get their energy out.  Just letting them poke around a fenced backyard is not good exercise.  A tired dog is a good dog.  Long walks will make her tired and less inclined to get into trouble, taking her running would be better.   Throw a frisbee or tennis ball for her and really get her running.   Play chasing games.  Find an energetic dog she gets along with, and have play dates. 

Good luck!

Offline justjameo

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 12:14:29 AM »
she is crate trained and knows "leave it" but its a matter of us catching her too late.
my grandma has 2 dogs and a large yard, and i bring her over there every day to play with the other two while im busy, and shes usually exhausted afterwards.

i guess i just have to watch her more closely and put things out of her reach that could harm her. my grandma got her a supposedly "indestructible rope" and shes taking to that pretty well. hopefully it keeps her entertain when she wants to chew.

thank you (: