Author Topic: >:( why i think big chain pet stores are EVIL!  (Read 3612 times)

Offline jeaks

• Ritten
  • I'm a llama!
>:( why i think big chain pet stores are EVIL!
« on: September 18, 2003, 05:23:24 AM »
about 2 months ago, i got my first pet rat. her name is Mousey. she came from a small privately owned pet store, her and all of the other rats, you could tell were well taken care of, and were used to being handled. after about a month, i decided Mousey needed a friend. this is where i made acritical mistake... i went to a PETCO, to get another rat... first of all they had about 20 rats in a small cage, then i noticed that there were at least 2 MALE rats mixed in with what they had claimed to be all female rats.  it took 3 different people, trying 4 sets of keys, about 20 minutes to finally get in to the cage they were in. which should have given me some idea of how ell taken care of they were.. when i showed the person working there which rat i wanted to see, he proceeded to  PICK THE RAT UP BY THE TAIL!!!! i was horrified by all of this. but at this point i just wanted to buy this sweet little brown baby rat just because i knew i could take better care of her than she was getting. she was scared, and looked a little thin, but still no major red flag went up in my head. we named her Baby, as she was still very young and quite docile.  being relatively new to owning rats,  i introduced Baby into the same living area as our other rat, never realizing that she may be ill.  i noticed she was a bit thin, so i  bought her special treats and vitamins, hoping to bring her to good health. the next 2 weeks i spent trying to feed her, play with her... but she never really put on any weight and never really got more active.  i thught maybe that just was her personality to be calm, or that it was because she was still young. then one day i noticed both rats had startedto sneeze a bit, i knew enough to know that that could be an early sign of something serious, but by the next day the sneezing seemed to have gone away. i wrote it off as having to do with the new bedding i had put in their cage. the next couple days nothing changed, and then i awoke on the morning of September 7th 2003,  and i found Baby had died in her sleep in her cage. Mousey was frantic, and it was obvious she was very ill as well... needless to say, i was heartbroken. we took Mousey to the vet immediatly, and told she had pneumonia, and that she probablly wouldnt make it. happilly, since then, we have been nursing her back to health, and she is almost recovered....  the point of this story?  big chain pet stores, in my experiences, never seem to take good care of theyre animals, i will never again by anything from a PETCO.  i returned to the store where i had bought Baby at  few days after she had died to give the people working there a piece of my mind. and found that all of her cagemates there had died also.  i learned a hard lesson, no matter how good of care you might provide for a new rat, if you dont choose a good place to purchase them, somewhere you know they are well taken care of, and just buying a "feeder" rat from any old place. you might end up with the same thing happening to you.

Offline obsession

• miss katie jane garside
    • come play with me !
Re: >:( why i think big chain pet stores are EVIL!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 03:26:43 PM »
im so sorry for your loss, and i think you've made a great decision..
it looks like you feel really stongly about this topic, so you might want to check out www.peta.org .. its a great site..
BratPack-  Milo - Gizmo
Squishys-  Keiran - Aiden

Offline BabyBlue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 05:22:19 PM »
I'm sorry about your loss too. It's really a shame that these stores don't do enough to even maintain the minimum amount of care for their animals and animals are no more than merchandises to them. Unfortunately all the mom and pop stores around me are just as bad as Petcos if not worse, so I generally don't support any stores that sell live animals. Instead, there are always rescue rats looking for homes so maybe you can consider giving those critters a loving home next time you're looking for a rat :) Thanks for sharing your story and I hope more people will realize the injustice that's being done and try to do something about it.

pigsandrats

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 06:16:03 PM »
Jeaks,
I'm so sorry about Baby passing away, but thank God Mousey is recovering.  :-* Kisses to Mousey from me.

Do you know anything about quarantine? ALL new rats should be quarantined before being introduced to any rats you already have.
Even rats that you get from a breeder should be quarantined. This is really, really important.

Offline Arthur Writer

• Rat Lover!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 12:00:35 PM »
The quality of a pet store, be it a privately owned local store or a big pet chain, really depends on the store managers.  In general, PetSmart is the one of the best while PetCo is at the bottom of the barrel with privately run stores usually on the same level.  In fact, a lot of people here won't even bother going to PetCo any more.  But there are always exceptions...

Oh, and 3-week quarentine is always a must.

Offline SR&P

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003, 01:43:57 AM »
I've found, that, like breeding, it is impossible to make money selling live animals & still give them decent care! also, there is actually a website about how petco is bad! www.petcocruelty.com
« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 01:44:14 AM by sandrratz »
Rosemary & Sugar: 2002-12/17/05
My dearest friend/if you don't mind/I'd like to join you by your side/where we can gaze into the stars/and sit together/now and forever/for it is plain as anyone can see/we're simply meant to be.-Finale, The Nightmare Before Christmas

Offline copperfieldmemory

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2003, 01:04:44 PM »
i musta been really lucky. i got 2 feeder rats from petco. one died 1 year later and the other one is goin on 3 years old. one happened to be a girl(stupid petco) and threw me gorgeouse babies.(NOT ON PURPASE WE WERE FIRST TIME OWNERS AND STUPID WE DIDNT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE) then died several months later of pnemonia. she had 8 babies and 2 have died and it's been nearly 2 years. but im sorry Baby died some day im goin to petco and takin every rat there.!

Offline Dani

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'll always love my Nemo
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2003, 01:25:29 PM »
My local Petco is horrible, the last time I was in there was about 1 year ago and I will never again walk into, let alone buy anything from one again.
On the other hand my Petsmart is great! I go in there about once a week and for about 6 months I haven't seem any Rats for sale, only Hamsters and Gerbils (and not alot of those either) but they are pretty well taken care of.
I'm sorry about Baby and I hope Mousy will recover, good luck! :heart:

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2003, 05:28:31 AM »
Dexter was from Petco and he lived a long healthy life and died at 3.5 years.

Cid was from the same Petco, though he was always getting sick and died at 11 months.

Becareful what you read on peta.org, often the conditions they talk about don't happen anymore. Take what they say with a grain of salt.
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline SADCAT

• Posts Too Much!
  • "60% of the time, it works every time"
    • sarah-davis.com
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2003, 09:52:56 AM »
Becareful what you read on peta.org, often the conditions they talk about don't happen anymore. Take what they say with a grain of salt.

Well you know I disagree with that. ;) I've seen it first-hand.

Anyway, the topic here is bad petstores, and I believe obsession was referring jeaks to their anti-Petco campaign, which I fully endorse, and everybody should check it out. Pretty much all of their information comes directly from the employees of PETCO.

http://www.petcocruelty.com/
(there are graphic pictures here that will upset you, so be warned)

Offline Katie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Got Rat?
    • Playful Design
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2003, 10:55:33 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear about Baby :( I'm glad Mousey is getting better though!

I personally don;t think all big chain pet stores are bad. The Petsmart that I go to is wonderful. All the small animals are on Carefresh or Aspen. The cages are always really clean too.....I just wish they sold females instead of all males.
I bought one of my girls from a small pet store and she is my most clean rat and the healthiest.
I would rather buy from a breeder but just haven't found any that are close....and since I can't drive and my mom probably wouldn't drive for me it's not an option.

I'm actually kind of glad we don't have a Petco around because of all the horror stories I've heard....
.:: Katie ::.