Author Topic: Need some advice to help my mom's cat  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Valerie

• and The Brood de Brux
Need some advice to help my mom's cat
« on: October 15, 2003, 06:34:00 PM »
My mom has had a rough couple years.  She currently lives in Hayward, CA in a fifth wheel.  She has a job in a warehouse where she is able to take her 2 dogs (Golden Retreiver and Chihuahua) and her cat during the day.  On Sunday afternoon, her fifth wheel was stolen in it was everything that she owned.  This included many memories, every picture that she had of me and my sister as kids, all her clothes, everything.  She was at the warehouse at the time and so she is left with her two dogs, her cat, her purse, her truck and the clothes on her back.  She is moving to Phoenix to live with my sister and her family.  Here in lies the problem.  My brother-in-law is deathly allergic to cats.  He has had emergency room trips before when he had to have contact with them.  My mom is distraught at the thought of having to give up her cat after all of this.  It's kind of adding insult to injury.  I came up with the idea of finding a foster home for her kitty.  However, my sister only moved to phoenix a year ago and doesn't have many friends.  The few that she does are allergic to cats as well.  I am contacting a couple local rescues.  I'm also looking for some ideas from the resourceful people here.  If you can offer any ideas I'm totally willing to listen.

Offline LittlePixie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Chani
Re:Need some advice to help my mom's cat
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 11:11:26 PM »
Could you afford to board her (the cat, not your mom) at a cattery/kennel place?

Possibly (MORE than likely, actually), if you explained the situation to them they would be willing to offer you a discounted price or even free of charge for a few days until something was sorted out. You could work on any price offered of course by offering to supply the cat's food, bedding, or whatever.

Edited to add that I have seen it done before. Family friend's husband died under horrible circumstances and she had to move back in with her mother, but couldn't keep her husband's Dobermann with her as her mother lived in flats that did not allow pets. A local kennel boarded the dog free of charge for her after hearing the story as this lady supplied the dog's food and went over there every day to walk him and clean out his run, if she had time she would do a few others as well. Dogs are a little different of course as much of the cost of boarding them is the food they eat, but it just goes to show that it IS possible. Ring around to a few.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 11:14:13 PM by LittlePixie »
"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single rat."
Brylewin Rattery
Registered breeder with AusRFS (NSW)