Author Topic: Official Request-A-Vet Thread.  (Read 140079 times)

Offline NatalieB

• My blog
Re: Official Request-A-Vet Thread.
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2007, 06:45:42 AM »
I'm desperately in search of a qualified and recommended vet whose office is in or near either Bakersfield or Palmdale/Lancaster, CA.  I had a name once, but can't find it now, and I've spent hours trying to figure out who that was.  My poor rattie boy sneezes and wheezes a lot, and I believe he really needs medication.  Please help!
~Natalie, mom to 3 little humans, 2 Great Pyrs, a hip dysplastic lab mix, a lovely black cat, and our beloved ratties: Bella, Brietta, Bianca, John, Jar-Jar NekkieButt, and Spec(tacular).  RIP James and Joel, Dec '07 (rats) and the best kitty ever, Polo ('97-'08)

Offline italianqt

• Posts Too Much!
  • Gennaro's hungry!
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2007, 04:13:16 PM »
I'm sorry I am not familiar with that area, but maybe you can try calling one of the vets on the link below and see if they have any recommendations:
http://www.ratzrealm.com/id134.htm
The kittehs: Fia and Nice Kitty.

Offline NeverSingMelody

« Reply #102 on: October 27, 2007, 12:55:22 AM »
Hi there,

My babies aren't in need of a vet at the moment but I want to have a good one on file so I know where to go if an emergency happens.  The vets at the clinic I work at aren't really experts on rats and I want my boys to have the best possible care.  Can anyone reccommend a good rattie vet in the San Francisco bay area (preferably in or near San Jose, where I live) 

Thanks!
<3 Ashley
Loved by two handsome boys: Sherlock, and Mochi

Offline Sarah80524

• Ritten
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2007, 08:38:12 PM »
I'll be getting my boys around December 17th. I'm currently in Fort Collins, CO. Home to the #2 vet school in the country... There's got to be a rat vet somewhere near me, but I've looked and looked and can't seem to find one! I'll be moving to north Loveland just before I get the rats, so anything in Loveland or Fort Collins would be preferable. I can't afford to drive much farther than that...
Thank you so much for any help <3

Offline MopyDream44

• Ritten
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2007, 07:59:51 PM »
I need a vet recommendation. I found a lump near one of my ratties armpit today. It's about the size of a large pea but it seems to be in the loose skin and not really attached. I want to take her to a vet asap, and I've heard some bad rumors about my current vet (really not sure if I believe it) but I really don't want to take any chances. I need a good vet in the ROCHESTER area of NEW YORK.

Any recommendations would be great but I want to make her an appointment by tomorrow, so if I don't have any solid leads I'm going to have to go with my current vet. Sigh I'm a bit worried :(

p.s. I'm new to this forum, and I've been meaning to introduce myself  :doh: (I don't believe I have) so I shall do that elsewhere. Thanks for the help in advance!!!!

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2007, 10:02:39 AM »
We have several members in the Rochester area, but they may not read this thread regularly.  I suggest you put a new post in the Rat Care Corner with the subject line "Need vet in Rochester, NY", and you may get a faster response.  Good luck!
~Rebecca

Offline animalover

• Adopt and save a life
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2007, 07:53:35 PM »
I am looking for a vet in the HARRISBURG, PA area, and I am willing to drive if need be. The only one in the area that treats rats want $225 for a neuter, so I imagine their emergency services are expensive.
Loved by 4 kids, 3 dogs, 2 parrots, 9 canaries, and untold homeless animals as they pass through, and 1 very patient husband.

Offline Marshon Bunny

« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2008, 11:36:21 PM »
Any vets in southern Onatrio?

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2008, 02:22:40 PM »
Any vets in southern Onatrio?

Ontario is kind of big; you may want to specify the town or county. ;)

Offline Marshon Bunny

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2008, 04:17:58 PM »
Canada  :) Duuhh sorry

Offline JR1030

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2008, 05:26:02 PM »

I think everybody knows that Ontario is in Canada...Mandycoot was asking what town in Ontario.
~Rebecca

Offline Speed Ratster

• I yell at you. I YELLLLLLLL at you!
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2008, 02:39:39 AM »
I have a suggestion/recommendation for a vet in

FORT WORTH, TEXAS

The last time I was at my dog/cat vet, I asked if they treated rats.  They gave me a flyer to a vet a few miles away who specializes in exotics.  I have not yet been there, but I am planning on inquiring about neuters for my guys.  One caveat: The flyer states that the vet raises 4-H and FFA meat pen rabbits.  Being a vegan and animal welfare activist, I don't agree with this, but if he's the only exotics vet around then I'll just have to swallow my pride.

Here is the info and website....

Ridglea West Animal Hospital
Dr. Craig Verwers, D.V.M.
4404 Southwest Blvd.
Fort Worth,TX 76116
817-763-0261
www.ridgleawest.com

Hours:
MWThF 7:00a - 6:00p
Tuesdays: 8:00a - Noon
Saturdays 8:00a - 1:00p

He is located in the Ridglea section (far southwest Fort Worth) on Southwest Blvd/Alta Mere Dr/Route 183, between I-20 and I-30.  I'm sorry, but he is not convenient to Dallas or suburbs further east.

UPDATE:
I stopped in this vet office this afternoon to inquire about pricing.  I asked about rat spays and neuters, and here is the exact procedure estimate I was given:

Neuter
Exotics Exam.....$76
Neuter.............$78
New Record (?)....$3
Metacam (pain)..$44 (optional)
Penicillin............$11 (optional)

Total for Rat Neuter (including optional meds)  $212

Spay
Exotics Exam.....$76
Spay...............$181
New Record (?)....$3
Metacam (pain)..$44 (optional)
Penicillin............$20 (optional)

Total for Rat Spay (including optional meds)  $324

This is the first time I've taken/inquired about rat or exotics veterinary care, but are they all this pricey?  I respect vets and the schooling and experience they have, but this estimate is much higher than I ever imagined it would cost.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:32:44 PM by Speed Ratster »
2 rats:  Frohicke and Speed Racer
4 dogs:  Robbie, Darby, SkyLynn, plus a foster dog
11 cats:  Feline, Panda Bear, Bubble Man, Winter, Jelly Bee, Finley, Igloo, Bedbug, Chunky, Fluffy Buddy, and Papaya King
 5 fish:  1 male Guppy-Endler's hybrid, and 4 male Endler's Livebearers

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2008, 12:54:29 AM »

I think everybody knows that Ontario is in Canada...Mandycoot was asking what town in Ontario.

Sorry, maybe you don't have counties in Canada so you assumed I'd meant to write "country" instead? It's just hard for people to help you if you're not very specific. Do you mean southern Ontario as in Toronto area?

Offline Bluefists

• Ritten
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2008, 03:04:48 AM »
Does anyone know a good Vet for Ratties in the Bay Area, preferably near Fremont, though Im willing to drive a bit.   I moved here from Detroit a few years back and havent found a good one yet.  One of my girls just started to get the beginning signs of a tumor and I'm looking for a good place people trust.

(Can ya please email me:  mailfoxes aT gmail DoT com)

Offline Trinity Rats

• Trinity Rats
Looking for a rat vet in Kenosha, WI
« Reply #114 on: February 29, 2008, 02:22:31 PM »
Hi, I live in Kenosha, Wisconsin and am looking for a good rat vet around here.  Up to Racine would be ok, or down to Waukegan, IL if necessary.  Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!

~ Dale
Trinity Rats Rattery
Breeding for Health, Personality & Type
Kenosha, WI

Offline Basskitten85

• I love him
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2008, 03:01:19 PM »
East Hills Veterinary Hospital in Antioch ca. Sees rats and they are good. Sneezing can be a sign of many things, start of by doing a bedding change. I prefer Aspen for the younger rats and Carefresh for older geriatric rats. (prevents bed sores) Some bedding cause Upper Respiratory infections. After a bedding change see if he is an area with drafts, a cold rat is a sick unhappy rat. try using old blankets to cover cages from top to bottom, your rat will take pieces of the blankets to make him or her much warmer and more confortable. Echanasia is also very very very good immune response its a great anti tumor agent and boosts natural immunity to colds and the sniffles. Just add a few drops to there water. and you will know the difference. Also yogurt with live cultures are wonderful (use about 1/2 tsp.) they build nice gastrointestinal defenses and make a rat very happy (Activia etc.) My rat Emilio has been on this system for his now 4 1/2 years of life. And remember EPSOM Salts work wonders for sore feet, bumble foot,  bed sores, abscesses. Use 1/2 cut Epsom salt to 1 1/2 cup of warm water, soak 2 times a day for about a week.
The team includes:  (all rescued)<br /><br />2 Cats, Trouble and Dolly<br />2 Eyuromastics, <br />2 Red eared sliders, SAlly and Jack<br />1 River turtle, Gulliver<br />1 Egyptian Toad, Damion<br />2 Mice, Rosie and Ellen<br />2 Leopard Gecko's, Erik and Shelly<br />2 feral stray cats, Jaydon and Ol

Offline PirateCaptainLoo

• Ratlet Crazy!
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2008, 09:00:41 AM »
I actually just had my first follow-up phone call from a vet from Spirit of 76th! I'm so happy that we found our vet so quickly! I'm not sure, though, if he acutally just remember their names or not (he probably just looked at their files lol), but still to take his time before hospital hours to call and check-up is something I've never experienced! Not only this, but when we went in, he spoke with us about about reptiles and what are good starter herps and spoke with us a good five/ten minutes after the appointment to give us more info about iguanas and beardies (even though we already knew most of it, he just wanted us to know the major differences in care as far as most lizards and iguanas lol).

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS VET TO ANYONE in or around Milwaukee, WI.
[X]Human: Amber[X]Rats: Captain, Morgan, Vermicelli, Aries, Comrade, Gayle, Lady, Gladys, Geneva, & Gweneth[X]Snakes: Flo & Bastian[X]Ferts: Chili & Pepper[X]Cats: Kino & Ori[X]Dog: Lucille

Offline Rattiemama

• Posts Too Much!
  • ^^ Cheezy grin! ^^
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2008, 04:11:14 AM »
I have a friend who needs a good rat/mouse vet in Kent, Ohio. Can anyone make a recommendation?

Offline jetta123

« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2008, 12:52:30 AM »
I need to find a vet in Winston-Salem, NC.   I saw someone posting one for High Point which is over 30 minutes away, but just wondering if anyone new of a vet that is closer.  Thanks!

Offline Pixiestixxxx

« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2008, 11:14:43 PM »
I need a vet in Vancouver, BC.  My rat of one day definitely has a respiratory infection  :'(
Owned by:
Four Rabbits: Spank, Labrador, Savannah, Precious. Muffy RIP.
Foster Rabbit: Royce
Three Guinea Pigs:  Shoo, Cerise, Éclair
One Mouse: Bella
One Gerbil: Illoden
One Rat: Aten

Offline Terra_s Mom

• Ritten
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2008, 02:23:11 AM »
Need a vet in San Antonio, TX.  We found one that would see Terras baby when he had head tilt, but he charges $50 per animal for exam fees.  2 rats seen, plus meds for ten rats for ten days cost almost $150.  Multiply that by the current total of 11 rats, 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 guinea pigs and way too many mice and pretty soon I won't be able to buy groceries. :eek:  Plus he's only available for limited hours a few days a week, making it very inconvenient on top of being expensive.  I'll drive any where in the general area if I can find a good vet. :bow:

Offline gesticulator

• Posts Too Much!
  • Terri Claire
« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2008, 07:00:11 AM »
Luckily, my veterinarian treats rats. I was so pleased with her knowledge and her stories about her own hooded rats that she refused to experiment on in school. She examined two of my rats, and prescribed Baytril for all four. Total cost was $90.
She is located in Middle Village, Queens, NYC. Dr Sqillace-Anteleys Animal Hospital. (718) 386 0655.
*Flash*Panda*Dotty*Mushroom*Nanuk*

Offline Tabitha

« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2008, 09:37:07 AM »
Has anyone been to Dr. Peter W. King in Mexico NY?  One of my girls is sick, and that's the only place I could get an appointment any time this week *facepalm*  I can get her in there tomorrow, and made an appointment, but wanted to see if anyone had had any experience with him?  Pricing?  Anything?

EDIT: 
VET RECOMMENDATION:

So, I went to the appointment, and Dr. King was great!  He was the first vet I've brought my girls to, that put something down on the cold table for them to stand on, AND gave her a treat afterwards  :cheeky:    He's got reasonable prices, today's visit came to $52, for the exam and Banana-Bread flavored Baytril. He also owns rats of his own, and was great with mine!   :BlueDumboSmile: I would definitely recommend him to anyone around Oswego County in Central NY!
His Website:  http://mexicovethospital.com/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 06:47:04 PM by Tabitha »

Offline zelle

« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2008, 10:52:06 PM »
Looking for a vet in the Syracuse, NY area.  Have been to Camillus Animal Clinic and do not recommend. 
The Fur kids:
Rats- Pixel, Pandora, Penny and Notch
Cockatiels- Oreo and Rosie

Playing on the Rainbow Bridge: Asuka, Picassa, Squishy and Peanut

Offline Lolliren

« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2008, 12:10:48 AM »
I'm looking for a vet in Los Angeles, CA I can't find a suitable one. :/