Author Topic: Official Request-A-Vet Thread.  (Read 137634 times)

Offline Demetra

• Ritten
Re: Official Request-A-Vet Thread.
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2009, 07:09:15 PM »
I am having a very difficult time finding a vet who really KNOWS rats. I'm from South Jersey. Any referrals?!

~Demetra

Offline krazycatlady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #151 on: August 11, 2009, 05:28:22 PM »
I'm from the Greensburg, PA area (about 45 minutes away from the Pittsburgh area) and was looking for a good (yet cheap-er) vet who will do check-ups and neuters. I have three girls and just got one boy and want to get him checked out as well as neutered. I have looked into quite a few places around my area but a lot of them stopped doing spay and neuters and a lot are between $150-180 which isnt BAD but with the $45 check up along with whatever meds he might need if that comes up and everything else, I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything around the area that was good yet reasonably priced.

Thanks! :thumbsup2:
RIP Mr. Squishy, Coraline & Gaz :( Play hard, Mommy misses you.

Offline MidnightSkies

« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »
I'm looking for a good vet in the Nothern Illinois area. North western Chicago suburbs could possibly work also. Does anyone have any experience with Algonquin Animal Clinic? Need info ASAP please

Offline zantosa53

« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »
Lagrangeville, New York? I'll assume there isn't one actually IN Lagrangeville... I'd be rather surprised if there was.. however one nearby? I'd like to do the search for one now rather then when it's an immediate urgency. Any suggestions? recommendations? If possible a reply here and a PM would be perfect. I'm afraid to miss an answer.

Offline chl0et

• Socrates says hello (:
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2009, 10:07:28 PM »
I'm desperate for a good rat vat in Queens New York. Please help me out~
"We can do no great things. only small things with great love"~Mother Teresa

Offline amruiz

« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2009, 12:03:08 AM »
Would like to find a vet in Corpus Christi TX that is knowledgeable and willing to work with me often.  :icon_rr:
I love my little girls! RIP Tachi-hime! May your adventures never end! ♥

Offline KarinasMommy

« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2009, 09:52:18 AM »
If anyone would have a referral near NorthEast Ohio, that would be great! I am very close to the PA line so even if the vet was in PA that would work too! I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Offline lenausa

• Ritten
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2009, 01:36:11 AM »
Hello!
Im looking for a vet in Champaign-Urbana,Illinois or around. My girls making strange noise(( (like hiccups) and need to check them. How much it could cost? Thank you!

Offline mandycoot

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2009, 03:35:53 PM »
Hello!
Im looking for a vet in Champaign-Urbana,Illinois or around. My girls making strange noise(( (like hiccups) and need to check them. How much it could cost? Thank you!

Perhaps look into the U of I veterinary teaching hospital? They do dogs and cats, I'd inquire about exotics. For a vet school of that size I can't imagine they wouldn't treat exotics. The UW-Madison teaching veterinary hospital does.

Offline primasilva

« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2009, 01:14:02 AM »
Looking for vets in Northwest suburbs of Illinois!

I have an awesome, awesome one (Ness Exotics in Naperville), but they charge an arm and a leg for spays. So if anyone knows of a good vet that'll fix my girls for less than $250, please let me know!
~ Jess Hart

Offline chaos_in_motion

« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2009, 11:12:13 AM »
Looking for a vet to at least Neuter my boy, if they can do my girl too that would be great. My vet is great but charges upwards $150~180 per rat for spay/neuters, and they won't see them till they are a whole 6 months.  :-\

I need preferably a Northern Ohio/western PA vet that is comfortable with rats and can ideally do both for 150 or less. I'm willing to make a roadtrip further out if need be.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 11:15:28 AM by chaos_in_motion »

Offline bbruck

• Ritten
Looking for inexpensive spaying in/near Northern Virginia
« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2009, 10:56:05 AM »
There are two fantastic exotic vets in Fairfax VA - Stahls and Eastern - but they both charge $250-300 to spay a rat.

Does anyone know if a vet within a couple hours drive of N. VA that will spay rats for a less expensive fee? I see that the rates for this operation are all over the map!
Newbie rat owner (but learning!)
Rats: Sparkles & Haley (AKA Mouse)
Dogs: Jake & Jenny
Frogs: Frog 1, Frog 2, Frog 3

Offline wagrij

« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2010, 03:49:15 PM »
Might I suggest that your Vet contact the local university that is doing any sort of research, the Vet staff there would be happy to help with anesthesia, and basic Vetting, as if it is an AAALAC facility, they will have to be following the latest guide lines to rodent care. 

Of course this would be any Vet interested in working with Rats, our Vets here at the Medical College of Wisconsin would be happy to help...

Marylou Mäder
und die schauplatz gruppe

Offline Chola

• Rats = Instant Love
    • Jen's Page
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2010, 02:50:16 AM »
I'm looking for three recommended vets that are affordable (affordable is key on a college student's expense account).  I am willing to call them all up and ask them if they do rats, but I prefer recommendations from savvy rat-folk. :)  Plus I wouldn't want my babies in the hands of someone that I don't know if they're doing a good job or not.

One:  In the Indiana, PA area (I attend college at IUP)
Two: In the Boyertown/Pottstown/Reading area of PA (hometown)
Three: In the Corona area of Queens, NY (husband's home)

As norm, I am willing to travel/sneak rats onto trains.

Offline TwiliteOni

• Rat-a-Tat
« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2010, 04:03:11 PM »
I am adopting 2 baby boys in a few weeks and will be needing a vet in or near Denver, Colorado. i actually live in Aurora, which is right next to Denver, but some people may not know where that is. Willing to drive up to 20 miles if needed, but would prefer as close to home as possible.

I scanned the pages here and didn't see Denver listed. Maybe on the main post you could keep a list of places that still need suggestions? I checked the Vet directory under the resources tab and saw Dr. Fitzgerald of Alameda East...but they can be kind of expensive (Emergency Vets!). Any other suggestions?

Offline myusername20

« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2010, 03:09:44 AM »
Looking for any and all rat vet recommendations for the Gulf Coast area of Florida/Alabama/Louisiana. I am in Florida gulf coast, but will travel.  :rattysmiley: :BlueDumboSmile:
<3 Rest In Peace Edmund ratty, Luuvi hammy, and Taffy-cat <3
Rat: Simone
Mice: Chloe and Echo
Hamster: Bubbles
Cats: Jade, Tigger, and Mara
Dogs: Kipling and Ranger

Offline Angelwoutwings

« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
I have a vet now, who I've been to once. She was VERY nice and I really liked her. But I thought I would ask if anyone knows a more cost-effective exotic vet (she charges $51 for a visit, I thought this was better than the one who charged $70!). I'm in Phoenix, AZ. Thanks guys!  :rattysmiley:

Offline Tracey Lyn

• Animals are my life ♥
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2010, 06:30:57 PM »
The only vet around me who can deal with rats is at Petsmart...and I really would prefer not to put my girls in the hands of people who don't take very good of their rats to begin with...I live in St. Peters Misssouri (MO) and my mom'll probably drive 30 minutes out or so.

EDIT:
OH! And I would rather not have to spend more than 15-20 dollars per rat?? ???
<:3~~ Hoodie - Black hooded female
<:3~~ Zelda - Berkshire female
=^-^= Toby - Grey tabby male
=^-^= Sox - Black tabby female

Offline Wildfyre

« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
Anyone know any good vets in the Olympia or Centralia, Washington areas? I just can't make it up to Tacoma or Seattle  :-\
:lurk:

Offline myusername20

« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2010, 08:12:27 PM »
Looking for any and all rat vet recommendations for the Gulf Coast area of Florida/Alabama/Louisiana. I am in Florida gulf coast, but will travel.  :rattysmiley: :BlueDumboSmile:

In case anyone comes across this in the future and is in this area, I used Wynn Haven Animal Hospital in Mary Esther, FL for my rat's golf ball sized mammary tumor removal. The vet who did the surgery was Dr. Whiteside. It was $35 for office visit (the consultation so he could look at it) and he charged $100 to do the surgery a week later. No price when I brought her back 10 days later for follow up and suture removal. So, other than the gas for the driving back and forth, I payed $135.

http://www.wynnhavenanimalhospital.com/Wynn_Haven/Welcome.html

I would rate the overall experience here as above average. Considering everything went well, it's probably more than above average. Staff was really great, vet seemed competent, he said he'd done around 70 tumor removals.
<3 Rest In Peace Edmund ratty, Luuvi hammy, and Taffy-cat <3
Rat: Simone
Mice: Chloe and Echo
Hamster: Bubbles
Cats: Jade, Tigger, and Mara
Dogs: Kipling and Ranger

Offline AngelHolland

« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2010, 10:17:52 AM »
We are currently very happy with our vet here in Chicago, IL, but we have both taken on summer jobs in the Ft. Wayne/Warsaw area of Indiana, and will be taking our three boys with us. Does anyone know of a vet in the area that has experience with rats? Can't find any exotics listed in the area, and we want to be sure we have somewhere to go if anyone gets sick. ::)
Maker of MomRatMagicFleece Liners for CN and FN!
Momratmagicfleece@live.com

Mom to Gregory, Nimmel, Luna, and Jayden - the Ratkin!

Offline chapstickaddict

• Posts Too Much!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2010, 11:20:38 PM »
Does anyone know of a good vet in the Upper Penninsula? Preferably in or around the Marquette area...?

Offline chapstickaddict

• Posts Too Much!
    • Tumblr
« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2010, 07:49:42 PM »
Does anyone know of a good vet in the Upper Penninsula? Preferably in or around the Marquette area...?

EDIT:
I talked to the local Humane Society, and they suggested the Gwinn Sawyer veterinary clinic. The girl I talked to has pet rats, and she said they know their stuff. Just in case there is anyone else way up north here that was looking :) 

Offline kittywombat

• Ritten
« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2010, 10:33:41 PM »
I need a vet in the NYC/NJ area that doesn't charge an arm and a leg to remove a mammary tumor. The clinic I work at provides medications for myco, but won't remove tumors and I can't afford the expensive NYC vets. :(

Offline Kari Safari

« Reply #174 on: May 01, 2010, 02:35:30 AM »
I need a vet in Northeastern PA who is knowledgeable when it comes to rats. I suspect that my Cuddles has myco and I need to do something about it as soon as possible! Anywhere within the Wilkesbarre/Scranton area or within a reasonable distance outside of it is fine. I'm desperate. Also, it helps if the vet doesn't charge six million dollars because I can only afford so much (not that I wouldn't absolutely find a way to make it work if I had to, just that I'd prefer it to not break the bank). =/