Author Topic: Official Request-A-Vet Thread.  (Read 144953 times)

Offline CassF

Re: Official Request-A-Vet Thread.
« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »
Any vets specialize in rats in Victoria or Vancouver BC? Preferably someone who will also do neuters.

Offline AngelHolland

« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »
CassF - SO many of the members over at ratshackforum.com are in canada/BC - I bet they will point you in the right direction if you don't find any info here! Good luck!
Maker of MomRatMagicFleece Liners for CN and FN!
Momratmagicfleece@live.com

Mom to Gregory, Nimmel, Luna, and Jayden - the Ratkin!

Offline CassF

« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2010, 02:02:50 PM »
Thanks Angel!! ;D

Offline Yashichu

• Ritten
  • <3
« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
Do anyone know a good vet for Richmond, VA? I live around the Henrico area, and current college student.
I noticed a post on page one about Hanover Animal Hospital; has anyone else went there before as well?

The current vet I use now is VCA Animal Hospital since their docter is there all the time; who also treated my rat. But the charges I received burned a bit of a hole in my pocket; and needed assistance from another to help pay for the vet bills. $104 for her first visit, including the medicine she was given. (But was given wrong diagnosis.) Second visit cost $124 for vet visit and euthanasia after finding out what my girl really had.
My Pets:
Dog(s): Sophie, Lizzie
Cat(s): Bea
Rat(s): Maxy

Rest in Peace: Lil' Chupacabra

Offline KylaMissa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2010, 09:29:13 PM »
Anyone have a recommendation for a good rattie vet in MA or NH? I live on northeastern MA, but I can travel a bit. I've been to one vet and while great, charged me almost $55 per rat when I brought my two girls in. She held them for like a minute and said they were fine...yeah...$55 each. I am soon going to have 5 rats and can't go to the same vet. $55 x 5 is not a pretty number. I am not paying $275 for a single office visit for my girls. I am also contemplating getting them spayed, but most of the places I have contacted can't do rats.

Any recommendations?

Offline lunagrim

« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2010, 12:18:48 PM »
I'm having a hard time finding a vet that is affordable at all here.
Anyone know of any good, fairly priced vets in the Denver, CO area?

Offline Billie40

• Posts Too Much!
    • Billie's Bunks & Hides
« Reply #181 on: July 27, 2010, 03:09:54 PM »
Looking for a new vet in south east MI.
They currently go to Parkway exotic/small pet Animal Hospital. The rat doc is good but very expensive. I'm tired of funding their super sweet doggy daycare... Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Offline [inactive]

« Reply #182 on: July 28, 2010, 02:23:07 PM »
I don't know if one has been posted for this area yet, but somewhere in south/central Maine would be nice. The nearest vet that I know of that will take rats is like 6 hours away so if someone knows of a vet in Lewston/Auburn area, please let me know. Thanks <3

Offline lessthansign3

• <3
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »
For anyone here in the Twin Cities, VCA Cedar Animal Hospital in Minneapolis does a great job, though they are very expensive. I started going there because they can treat ANYTHING (rats, chinchillas, lizards, birds, turtles... lol you name it), their vets are knowledgeable with exotics (especially Dr. Munroe, she's wonderful), and they're nearby for me, an essential point before I had a car and had to bus it to the vet. They do charge a lot, but when you live in a big city, that's to be expected of any vet, especially one that treats exotics. I just took one of my new girls, Olivia, in for an inner ear infection, and the exam, Baytril, and prednisone all came to around $100. Not fun for me, but I know when I take her there that she's in good hands.

I don't know if I'll take my cats there anymore, though, simply because I know a "regular" vet in the area who is cheaper. Even then, rural versus city vet prices are kinda crazy - my cat Jiro needed his teeth cleaned when I adopted him because his previous owners never brushed his teeth, and VCA wanted $600. The absolute cheapest I could find in the metro was $350-$400. I went to my mom and dad's vet in small-town south-central MN - $150 :D Hehe!

Offline LittlOdawa

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »
Don't know if it has been posted for my area but Id like to know of any vets in the Downriver area of MI for neutering rats. It would be a great help and I'm looking for recommendations
Thanks
Kari

Offline brittanyotalora

« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2010, 03:43:40 PM »
For anyone in the North or Central NJ area....

Dr. Kim Somjen at Belle Mead Animal Hospital in Hillsborough, NJ. AMAZING to say the least! She was so friendly, and knowledgable. She told us her history with rats which included MANY rats as pets. She knew exactly what I was talking about when I said Martin's-695, and she also asked questions most vets don't ask, like what cages they're in, what bedding I use, what I feed them everyday, etc. She finally diagnosed my one rat which another vet said was "perfectly healthy" (PS she has myco). She was SO good with my rats, and they responded so well to her.

*She was also familiar with GooseMoose and said she used to be on here!

If it's not too far for you to travel, you HAVE to try her- I will never go anywhere else.

Offline phaidraft

« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2010, 01:49:40 AM »
Rapid City, SD area - does anyone know of a vet?

Offline Lizzy96

« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2010, 09:19:01 PM »
Wondering if anyone knows some good Vets who really know what their doing, In the West St Paul Area/ East St Paul/ Winnipeg , of Manitoba, Canada?

Offline htsr4

« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2010, 01:51:41 PM »
Does anyone know a good vet near Farmington MN?

Offline PocketPets217

• Posts Too Much!
Vets in STL/IL
« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2010, 10:43:22 AM »
Looking for a relatively reasonable vet between STL and Springfield , IL that will spay and examine a large group. Also to inspect an adult with a tumor.

Offline bettycracker

« Reply #190 on: September 14, 2010, 04:44:53 PM »
I'm looking for a vet near Lafayette, LA. Help ???

Offline niu_huskies

• Ritten
Chicagoland Vet!!!
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2010, 06:41:19 PM »
I live in Dekalb, IL and searched far and wide for a vet for my girls, leading me to Forest Park Animal Hospital in University Park, IL. Dr. Johnson is the small animal doctor and she is really great with my girls. I have had two tumors removed from one rat in two separate surgeries. She charges around $175 for each procedure (with the multiple animal discount, and she didn't require a pre-visit examination either because I drove almost two hours to get there) which is wayyyyy less than anyone I looked into before. An animal hospital in DeKalb wanted to charge me $400 for the surgery and that didn't include the pre-surgery exam and the post-surgery meds. What a rip-off. Some vets have really lost sight of what being a veterinarian is really about. Good luck everyone!!   :heart:

Offline dabrat19902005

« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2010, 02:06:13 AM »
I need a vet in Rutherford County, North Carolina! Please do not reccommend I go to Hinkle's pet hospital. That's where I was before and they were very mean to my Max, and while euthanizing him they gave him the heart shot while he was awake. I want a vet that knows more about my babies and is not cruel and actually cares for my babies! PLEASE help!

Offline Shriek

« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2010, 06:29:28 PM »
I'm looking for a vet in the Central PA area, specifically Bellefonte/State College. The cheaper and closer the better, but I'm willing to travel a bit to make sure my boys are healthy. The vet I go to now is all the way in Snowshoe, and only seems to have basic knowledge of rats, though he's absolutely wonderful with other animals, and very cheap. I just want someone who really knows rats and takes them seriously as companions.

Offline vombatus_ursinus

« Reply #194 on: October 22, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a rat neutered for a reasonable price in the Brooklyn/ NYC area?

So sorry if this has been discussed before, but I feel like I've tried every exotics vet in my area and I cannot believe the quotes I'm getting. A few years ago I had a rat spayed for $109 including pain meds and antibiotics, and I don't remember paying extra for an examination, but if I did it was like $75 or something. Now I'm hearing $2-4 hundred to neuter, including the exam and take-home meds. I don't have that much money. If anyone knows where I could have it done for under $200 I'd be forever grateful. Vets in Long Island and Queens that aren't a long drive from Brooklyn are doable too.

Thanks.

Offline Lightdrow

« Reply #195 on: November 29, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »
Hi I live in Kennewick Washington and wanted to know if anyone knows of any vets anywhere near here that can spay a rat for less then $150. I just don't have the money for something more then that and the few doctors I have talked to are not skilled in it and they want to charge 350+.

Offline innybear

« Reply #196 on: December 05, 2010, 01:09:19 AM »
Hello everyone!
I was actually wondering if anyone knew of a veterinarian in the Fort Worth/ Midcities/ West Dallas (tx) area who neuters rats. Most places I've called say they will see and diagnose ratties, but will not spay and neuter. My male needs to be neutered!!!

Offline TGQ

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2010, 01:20:23 AM »
If anyone knows a good vet in a Cleveland (preferably west side) area, PM me please.
My rat children:  Storm, Charlie, and Nimbus

Rest in Peace Echo, Skye, Murdock, Dirk, Duck, & Weetzie

Offline RachelLyn

« Reply #198 on: December 23, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
Fargo side of north dakota, or minneapolis please.

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
« Reply #199 on: December 25, 2010, 02:13:13 PM »
Trying to scout down a good small animal vet (preferably knowledgeable with rabbits) for a person on craigslist.

Looking for Northern California/Southern Oregon. They are in Crescent City, CA, but willing to drive.