Author Topic: RatsRule Vet Recommendation List (North America)  (Read 81471 times)

Ms. Jingles

Re: RatsRule Vet Recommendation List (North America)
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2004, 11:29:03 PM »
City / Province: Ottawa, Ontario
Vet's Name: Dr. Mary Ellen Dunning
Clinic/Hospital Name: Cumberland Veterinary Hospital
Address: 3809 St. Joseph Blvd., Orleans (at the corner of Trim Rd. and St. Joseph)
Phone Number: (613) 834-7233

Comments: Dr. Dunning truly loves rats. The main reason she became a vet was she saw a need for small animal care. All of the vets have rescued rats and take in stray animals. They are mid to very expensive but the peace of mind I get when I bring in one of my boys more than makes up for it. She (and the other vets there) are highly knowledgeable in the care and treatment of rats and other small animals. They phone for follow-ups. I highly recommend this vet.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 09:54:44 PM by Sheryl »

Offline SR&P

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2004, 02:20:34 PM »
City/State (or Province): Walnut Creek, CA
Vet's Name: Wendi Aengus
Clinic/Hospital Name: Valley Veterinary Hospital
Address: 1780 Ygnacio Valley Rd.
Walnut Creek, CA
Phone Number: 1-925-932-2420
Comments:
Wendi was very nice and knowledgeable about rats. She knew all of the good rat beddings, and the pros and cons of using them, she also put lots of flavoring in the baytril she perscribed, so I didn't have to mix it with anything. She marked the syringe too, so I knew exactly how much to give them. She's pretty expensive ($55), but the appointment was only for Rosemary, she checked Sugar out and perscribed her baytril for free. She likes the rats, too. All of the receptionists were polite about them. She also explained myco to my dad.
Rosemary & Sugar: 2002-12/17/05
My dearest friend/if you don't mind/I'd like to join you by your side/where we can gaze into the stars/and sit together/now and forever/for it is plain as anyone can see/we're simply meant to be.-Finale, The Nightmare Before Christmas

Offline brandy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2004, 05:03:48 PM »
City/State (or Province): Poquoson, VA (near Newport News)
Vet's Name: Dr Heather Price
Clinic/Hospital Name: Poquoson Veterinary Hospital
Address: 483 Wythe Creek Rd
Phone Number: 757-868-8532
Web Site: (if applicable) http://www.poquosonvet.com
Comments: It's taken me a while to find a rat-knowledgeable vet near Williamsburg, so I was very pleased with Dr Price today! Although she sees birds more than rodents, she knew enough about rats' respiratory problems, etc to please me. And a great "bedside manner" with a very shy rat! :)
Brandy 1, cancer 0

Zero rats currently.
RIP: Snickers, Twizzler, Nestle, Valrhona, Cadbury, Elizabeth, Victoria, Artemis, Cassie, Lucy, and Chica.

Offline Katt Fink

• Ritten
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2004, 12:16:20 AM »
City/State:  Marlton, NJ
Vet's Name: Dr. Janice Goode
Clinic/Hospital Name: Marlton Animal Hospital
Address: 8 West Main Street, Marlton NJ, 08053
Phone Number: 856-983-5350
Web Site: n/a
E-mail: n/a
Comments:

Dr. Goode is as wonderful a person as she is a veterinarian.  It is evident in everything she does that she truly cares about your ratties.  She loves ratties and treats them like gold.  She goes above and beyond her duties as a vet to answer any questions or concerns you may have about your ratties.  I have never been to a better clinic, honest!  Dr. Goode (and the entire clinic) are absolutely great and I highly recommend them.  If you're even remotely near the Marlton, NJ area, it is definitely worth the trip for the high quality care you will receive from Dr. Janice Goode.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2004, 06:04:51 AM »
City/State (or Province):Mckinney, TX
Vet's Name: Randall Hickman
Clinic/Hospital Name: Animal Medical Center
Address:201 S Jordan
Phone Number:972-542-8675
Web Site: www.amcmckinney.com

Comments:
Been going to Dr. Hickman since 2000. Dr. Hickman is the best with rats, he's always kissing my rats after giving shots and most recently he kissed my moon on her head after he put her to sleep.? He knows a lot about rats and his prices are very reasonable.? He's done all our tumor removals. I don't know what I would do without him.? Let me know if you need more information about him.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:47:42 AM by Dearpie »

Offline Tizzrah

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2004, 02:34:42 PM »
City/State (or Province): Mechanicsville, VA (near Richmond)
Vet's Name: John Billeter, DVM
Clinic/Hospital Name: Hanover Animal Hospital
Address:
Phone Number: 804-746-5955
Comments:

Dr. Billeter is WONDERFUL.  He is not only a great vet, but a great person.  When it comes to rats, he's still learning, but has performed several tumor removals on my kids,  and one spay and one neuter.  All have gone without incident and all have recovered wonderfully.  He has also treated several of my rats for respiratory illnesses.  He is willing to listen to your suggestions without demanding that he knows best, and if a question comes up that he does not know the answer to, he will find the answer for you.  He is also extremely affordable (my most expensive surgery, the spay, was under $100), and willing to negotiate payment plans.

Offline jorats

• Posts Too Much!
  • There are rats in my house.
    • The Rat Shack
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2004, 12:47:37 PM »
City/State (or Province): Sudbury, Ontario
Vet's Name: Dr. Janice Y. Vannevel
Clinic/Hospital Name: Lasalle Animal Clinic
Address: 1560 Lasalle Blvd. Unit B, Sudbury Ontario, P3A 1Z7
Phone Number: 705-560-7226

Comments:

Dr. Vanneval is an excellent exotic vet. She is kept up to date on all scientific matters on small animals. She routinely attends seminars and conferences on small animals. She also receives all related journals on small animal care. She confers on a regular basis with her peers and top exotic vets.
Joanne
The Rat Shack

Until there's none... rescue one.

Offline ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • life without rats is like life without air
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2004, 10:05:17 AM »
Norwich,Ct.
All Friends Animal Hospital
420 New London tpke.
 Norwich,Ct.
860-886-0125
Dr. Christopher Melgey

I have been taking my rats and other pet to him for 5 years now. He is willing to try and will listen to all suggestions.

"Help me not compare myself to others, so I may appreciate my own uniqueness"

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2004, 04:46:09 AM »
Little Rock, AR
Dr. Marilynn Baeyens
North Hills Animal Clinic
7801 JFK Blvd
North Little Rock, AR 72116
Phone:    (501)835-3577

We used North Hills for over two years.  One of our biggest regrets about moving was losing access to Dr. Baeyens.  Truthfully, it is only about a three hour drive, and I will probably take any of my rats that need non-emergency surgery back to Dr. Baeyens.  Also, at the same clinic, I have seen Dr. Hawley (Holley, Holly?  Not sure on spelling).  Very nice lady, just out of vet school.  She doesn't have the experience of Dr. Baeyens, but she does employ some unusual methods (one of which saved the life of our boy Lucky).  Both are willing to listen to any questions, concerns, or treatments you may want to discuss.  I believe an average office visit was about $35.
Ratless

Offline rattus norvegicus

• Ritten
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2004, 07:56:28 PM »
City/State: Fairfax, VA
Vet's Name: Dr. Meredith Davis, Dr. Benjamin Haas, Dr. Connie Kirk, and Dr. Jennifer Oldson
Clinic/Hospital Name: Eastern Exotic Veterinary Center
Address: 4001 Legato Road, Fairfax, VA 22033
Phone Number: (703)-654-3100
Web Site: http://www.easternexoticvet.com
Comments: The staff at EEVC are very good and knowledgeable with exotics. The technicians are pretty good. I'd reccomend Dr. Davis and Dr. Haas the most because we don't know Dr. Kirk and Dr. Oldson very well. Unfortunately the prices can be pretty high: $60-$65 for a rat exam. I'm not sure how much neutering and spaying cost. We've been taking rabbits,rats, and birds here for 4 or 5 years.

Offline ShadowWolf

• Posts Too Much!
    • Shadow Brook Rodentry
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2004, 02:35:45 PM »
City/State (or Province): Highland, MI
Vet's Name: Dr. Groehn
Clinic/Hospital Name: Highland Veterinary Hospital
Address: 1255 S. Milford Rd.
Phone Number: (248) 887-3755
Web Site: (if applicable) N/A
E-mail: (if applicable) N/A
Comments: Dr. Groehn has seen my animals for going on two years. When our other vet retired, I searched high and low for a new vet. After I found it was time to get a new rattie, she backed me 100% and gave my new rats the respect they deserved. She performs spays/neuters on all of my kids. She's very gentle and we've talked about her colony of ratties and mices while she was growing up. Exam costs are between $25-35, depending on time.

Dream the dreams that have never been dreamt. - David Bower

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2004, 03:47:23 PM »
City/State (or Province): Baltimore/Maryland
Vet's Name:Dr. Mike Herko
Clinic/Hospital Name:Falls Road Animal Hospital
Address:6314 Falls Road
Baltimore, MD 21209

Phone Number:(410) 825-9100
Web Site: (if applicable)http://www.fallsroad.com/
E-mail: (if applicable)
Comments:Very knowledgable, and eager to learn.  My main concern is price, however.  They tend to overcharge because they're fairly well known.  However, it's also a 24 hour emergency clinic and knowledge is worth more than money anyway.  They treat rats, mice, exotics, everything!  There is also more than one exotic vet there besides Herko.  He amputated one of my rats' tails, has treated my guys for SDA, done X-rays on them, etc.

Offline BluMowse

• How rats REALLY reproduce
    • Frankie at Catster
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2004, 08:32:37 PM »
City/State (or Province): Norman, Oklahoma
Vet's Name:Dr. Nancy Harringon
Clinic/Hospital Name:All Pets Animal Hospital
Address:4603 W. Main St.
Norman, Oklahoma 73072
Phone Number(405) 360-2607

Comments: Dr Nancy is great, loves rats, and is very knowledgeable about them. It's a small clinic, with great personal attention, and the prices are very reasonable.
~ Katie

The Ratties;  Luciano, Benito, Gianni, Cole, Angus, Elliott, Orson, Oliver & Mulder
The Dogs; Luci, Ripley, and Stella
The Cats; Lark and Frankie
My Furkids

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2004, 02:47:53 AM »
City/State: Dearborn Heights, MI
Vet's Name: Dr. Jennifer Hynes
Clinic/Hospital Name: VetSelect
Address: 25049 Warren Rd. / Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
Phone Number: (313) 278-0860
Web Site: www.vetselect.com
E-mail: ---
Comments: Dr. Hynes is an extremely good, and reasonably-priced rat vet. A general check up is $46, and if you bring in multiple rats, she will still only charge you for one check up (last time I brought in all six and it was $46). The staff just loves rats, and they will come in everytime I bring the boys for a check up, and hold and cuddle them while I'm waiting for the doctor to come in. Dr. Hynes is very gentle with rats, and knows how to work with them.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 02:51:49 AM by SuccubusOfAngels »
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline JuliaDC

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Ima frog!
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2004, 12:03:08 AM »
City/State (or Province): Gaithersburg, MD
Vet's Name: Dr. Lisa Carr
Clinic/Hospital Name: Kentlands Veterinary Hospital
Address: 117 Booth Street
Phone Number: 301-519-7944
Web Site: (if applicable) http://www.kentlandsvet.com/
Comments: I only recently began visiting Dr. Carr, but feel comfortable recommending her because of my experience on my first two visits, and because she was formerly affiliated with Eastern Exotics, an excellent exotic-only practice that was unfortunately a long rush-hour drive away from me.

Dr. Carr is truly fascinated by "exotics," and very willing to listen to clients' questions and suggestions. She researches every treatment carefully before recommending it, and really takes her time with the rats. At about $45 for a long visit not cheap, but very reasonable by the standards of the area.

ssjay

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2004, 09:19:05 AM »
City/State: Grand Rapids MN
Vet's Name: John Howe
Clinic's Name: North Country Vet
Address: Hwy 169 E
Phone Number: 218-362-9668
Comments: Specialize in small animals. Dr. Howe personally loves rats and learns all he can. Did surgeries on a couple of mine and did a damn good job! Speaks in easy to understand language too. Everyone at this clinic is friendly and caring. Highly recommended!!

Offline amymckee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »
Kocher, Frank H DVM
Ocean View Vet Clinic

109 Central Ave
Pacific Grove, CA 93950
Main Phone: 831-649-4111

I've known this guy my entire life (my friend's dad) and he's definitely the best vet I've been to even since I've moved. He's actually the surgeon/owner but the other staff is really great. Since I know him personally I've given lots of feedback about the other staff. He actually co-authored a book about birds and I know he'll see certain animals which aren't California-friendly. ;)

I'd also like to recommend the emergency clinic:

Dr. Dana
Pet Emergency

901 Francisco Blvd E
San Rafael, CA 94901
Main Phone: 415-456-7372

They are open nights and weekends and they've euthanized 3-4 of my rats. They sent me a card for each one, including Starsha, who I brought for disposal after she died in her sleep.  I was allowed to be there for all of their euthanasias as well. Dr Dana and the staff are all super nice and understanding.
RIP Sugar, Jasmine, Juniper, Sesame, Stella, Won-Ton, Lucy, Sophie, Olivia, Eloise, Starsha, Pepper, Freddie, Astra, Trelly, Scooter, Sparky, and "Rat".

Offline rampantrats

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I love obediant humans
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2004, 10:05:39 AM »
I will have to put my vet here

North County Animal Hospital
Dr. Laurie Cook
201 W. Indiantow Road
Jupiter, Fl 33458
Palm Beach County
561-746-7496
Fax 561-744-2023
www.northcountyah.petplace.com

Coments.  Dr Cook is the most compassionate vet I have ever been to, both as a person and a vet. I have had two rats in for surgery, a tumor removal and a tooth removal. Both times she was very caring, and actually held my babies in her arms until they woke up. She wanted to make sure they were ok before putting them in their cage.

She had always been available whenever I have needed her and actually enjoys seeing my ratties. The rates are reasonable as well. Bobo's tumor removal was around $200.00
Don't Anger the Faires!!

Offline Sapphire_Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • GIMMIE!!!!
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2005, 06:25:20 AM »
City/State (or Province): Waterville, Me
Vet's Name: Dr. Alan Slack
Clinic/Hospital Name: New England Animal Hospital
Address: 2 Pleasent St
Phone Number:(207) 873-4668
Web Site: (if applicable) (currently down)
Comments:

I have only had my boys in for a check up, but he was very gentle, even with the wiggly ones, and was very patient with them. He appears very knowledgeable, and has had rats in the past. He also seems open to new information.

They (him and the rest of the staff) also do "adoptions" for animals that other people just say to "put down" because they can't afford to care for them medicaly, or just don't want the hassle of the pet any more.
One Ferret boy by the name of Chulo...

Rest In Peace Our Little Angels:
Boo-Boo-sep 2007 rest in peace puppy girl
Zion-male beige dumbo
Micky-Male Pomerainian
Mischief~ Our black syrian hamster
Sugar~beige white girlie
Neptune~blue/white split cap dumbo

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2005, 10:11:11 PM »
City/State (or Province): O'Fallon, Missouri
Vet's Name: Dr. Karen Baggett
Clinic/Hospital Name: VCA All Creatures
Address: 2205 Hwy K (1.5 miles S of I-70)
Phone Number: (636) 240-8387

Comments: She is the best vet I've ever come across. She loves the rats very much (even though she gets peed and pooped on everytime), is gentle with them and is willing to learn and listen to anything you suggest without an "I know what I'm talking about, you don't" attitude. She's familiar with respirtory infections, and has done spays and neuters. She's saved my rat's lives on many occasions and I cannot reccommend her enough to anyone in the area looking for a wonderful rat vet.

Offline Elaken

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rats are my obsession!
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2005, 07:18:20 PM »
City/State (or Province): Chandler, Arizona
Vet's Name: Dr. Langhofer
Clinic/Hospital Name: First Regional Animal Hospital
Address:  1233 W. Warner Road  85224
Phone Number: 480-732-0018
Web Site: (if applicable)  www.firstregionalvet.com
Comments:
I have only been to him a few times but I absolutely adore him.  The first time was a general checkup and need for some drugs for about 12 ratties.  He gave us a total break on the cost of the checkup, I think essentially only charging us for two rats and then the drugs were reasonably priced.  Whereas before him I had gone to another rat vet who charged me more for a cursory checkup and drugs for one rat!!  Here I had twelve.  He did a thorough exam and also said since I can recognize when they have a respiratory problem, I did not need to come back and pay an exam fee if that was just the problem.  I could just call in for a prescription.  Another time my rat was very sick and my mom took her in, even though they had no open spots, they said they would fit her in.  Right when she came in he saw she was sick and took action, and also started to ask if we keep her in the cage she was in (it was galvanized metal), we dont' though, it was just a rarely used travel cage.  I like that he knew enough that rats shouldn't be in cages like that.
I was lucky enough to have been part of Willie's life and I am eternally grateful for the 2.5 years she gave me.

Offline ElvinMelvin

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2005, 12:55:47 PM »
City/State (or Province): Frisco, TX
vet's name: George E Martin Jr.
Clinic/Hospital Name: Plantation Pet Health Center
Address: 12560 Lebanon Rd
Phone :Number: 972-731-0001
Web Site: http://www.plantationpethealthcenter.com/
Comments:
After trying 5 times to get a good rat vet I finally found this amazing man. He is very
friendly and knew a lot about rats. He even did an exam on all 11 of my girls at the
same time. An exam is $32 and he did my girls for a bulk charge of $100 plus discounts
on their meds. He will also set up payment plans if there is no way you can afford it.

Offline BadAndie

• Baby 10-2-04
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2005, 12:25:27 PM »
City/State (or Province): Waterville, Me
Vet's Name: Dr. Alan Slack
Clinic/Hospital Name: New England Animal Hospital
Address: 2 Pleasent St
Phone Number:(207) 873-4668
Web Site: (if applicable) (currently down)
Comments:

I have only had my boys in for a check up, but he was very gentle, even with the wiggly ones, and was very patient with them. He appears very knowledgeable, and has had rats in the past. He also seems open to new information.

They (him and the rest of the staff) also do "adoptions" for animals that other people just say to "put down" because they can't afford to care for them medicaly, or just don't want the hassle of the pet any more.

This is the vet that told me to put my boys on Pine! Yes he is very good vet, but I lost faith in him when he said that to me. I am trying to find a new vet.

Offline bluerattyrat

• Loving Arms Rattery (LOVE)
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2005, 11:44:29 AM »
Mount Vernon Washington:
Dr. Lance Cambell:
College Way Animal Hospital:
?:
360-848-1189:
Web Site: (if applicable)

He is a really nice guy who is always in good humor.  I love how well he deals with my pets, especially rats.  Some vets I've want to charge me a fortune for everything.  As an example, I have a lot of rats, and when our furnace quit working the stress caused a couple rats to start sneezing occasionally, Dr. Cambell treated ALL four of them for just over 100 dollars.   :shocked2:  Out of curiosity I called another clinic, they said 40 dollars each for the applointment, 50+ dollars each for antibiotics etc, at that rate I would have been bankrupt!!!  This guy is so reasonable with his prices and my rats, dogs and guenea pig have all loved him.  If you have an emergency this guy EVEN wears a pager and he gets right back to you, even on his day off.  Dr. Cambell and his wife keep guenea pigs at home so he really does love the small critters a lot.   :)  I told him I was going to put him on here so if you go to him remind him and tell him I haven't accidently taken Dukes medicine yet  ;) (he was teasing me the last time we were in)
Loving Arms Rattery (LOVE)

freewebs.com/loving_arms_rattery/