Author Topic: *UPDATE* Good news for a change!!  (Read 1527 times)

sugarfoxx

*UPDATE* Good news for a change!!
« on: April 03, 2004, 11:04:54 AM »
Hey friends
Since I am getting some PMs from some of you wondering about the three sickies in the house :confused: :shocked2: (Charlotte, Grayson and Jack) I thought I would simply post so you can read it here instead of  answering several PMs.  
Charlotte seems more perky and is no longer staying in her wicker ball.  The odor she had is subsiding somewhat.  I can kiss her head without holding my breath!  LOL

Grayson......I feel like I will put a damper on this good news if I share it but.....there is not one sound coming from him today.....not a peep.... I thought he was dead......honest to God because usually I hear that snuffy stuffy nasally sound when I walk in the room and NOTHING.  I got down and started tipping rats looking for him.  What I mean about tipping rats is that the berks are identical triplets......ALMOST.....except for the size.....which is close too. Bingo has a white belly.....no markings on his white part but he is smaller than Grayson. Fermie is about 2 pounds but has a black dot on his belly and Grayson has no   dots on the white area of his belly....so its very very hard to tell who is who!  I used to know from listening to the gurgles!

Jack...he is still in his ball more than usual but he is eating and drinking and grooming.  He dosnt seem to want held like he did.  He is also spoiled because I have a towel over the cage except for an area that he can peek out from.....and I have the oxygen tube piped in through the front of the cage and I have it hanging right in front of his wicker all.  You can feel the cool air gently coming from the hose and so he lays there a few inches from the tube.......he falls asleep under the tube. I think he knows it helps him breathe better and its very comforting....laying there in a dim cage with a cool stream of air gently clowing out toward him.  He doesnt try ti eat the tube like he did before he needed it.  Its funny what they know and one thing is for sure......they know how to stay comfy!  Hammock and all!
he is still breathing very fast though.  The vet suggested 1/4 valium tablet to calm  him twice a day instead of giving him heart meds to calm him......he doesnt need them anyhow.  The valium really causes him to relax more but doesnt make him all sluggish since its a low dose.  
He is still a bundle of nerves......always way.  Now though he runs to the girl cage and just yesterday he didnt want out of his ball.  I was thrilled!

The reason for the recovery in all of them I think was the fact that I talked to my old exotic vet 9who is the best in this part of NC ) he felt they were all underdosed AGAIN......this happened before too.
So he upped the dose on everyone and they are taking high doses once a day of baytril instead of lower doses twice a day.  He said also that by using two antbiotics instead of one it works on fighting the infection well but also helpsto keep the rat from building a n immunity to the meds quickly.

News to me.......I always learn new stuff though!

So just an update........FINALLY some pretty good news from us!  Its about time!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
  • once upon a time my heart got stolen by rats
Re: *UPDATE* Good news for a change!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 11:21:26 AM »
Good to hear, finally!
Currently owned by Jasper,Gopher,Anabelle+Anastasia,Donut+Vivian+Franklin+Guido+Round1+Round2 babies, Dot+Orca,Marie+Rene+Nicola,Libbie,Annie,Melanie+Espresso (rats).Velvet+Dancer (bunnies).Porcellina+Skunk (pigs).Cercira (hamster) and Bandit (dog).
Our angels in heaven, we will always love you!

Offline squeaky

• Posts Too Much!
    • Mana Rattery
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 06:21:10 AM »
 :balloon: Hope you can relax a bit now too!

sugarfoxx

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 10:36:11 AM »
Because I am a gluton for punishment......I am going up to Durham to meet Angelrat girl and getting my four new male lab ratties from Kims Ark!!

And I cant wait!  Maybe someone can live with Peanut after quarantine......I am so excited!  And meeting angelratgirl is a plus too!!

pigsandrats

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 02:29:19 PM »
Horray for good news..... ;D

Offline camaro_girl_01

• ~*Danielle*~
    • Ratosis
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 10:18:01 PM »
Glad to hear some good news.  ;D
~*Danielle*~

My Website - www.ratosis.com ~ Please visit and check out the pictures of my rats