Author Topic: **Rats from neglect case in NE Ohio Humane Society**  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Heather

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
**Rats from neglect case in NE Ohio Humane Society**
« on: May 14, 2004, 09:30:31 PM »
This was posted on the AOL boards I sometimes go to.

"Hi there, my name is Teena and I work at the Lake County Humane Society in NE Ohio.  We had a gentlemen, if you can call that, come to the shelter today and ask if we can take a few rats of his.  I asked him how many and he said 50.  Well, I told him we can take a few because he said he was going to kill them if he can't get rid of them, so he went to his truck and brought a rubbermaid container filled with rats.  They were over heated, smelly and needed bathed really bad.  Needless to say, we have tons of rats that need homes.  There were 17 in the container.  We bathed them all and then a few minutes later....one of them begin to have babies.  Sooo, now we have more.  I am begging for help.  I don't know what we are going to do with all these.  Can anyone please send me information on any rat rescues that could help in placeing these?

P.S.  We also have someone who needs to place a 9 ft. boa. 

P.S.S.  We also have tons of rabbits, guinea pigs and a ferret

Thanks"

You can contact her at ROTTqueen2@aol.com

They are all ages, the females are pregnant and having babies all over the place. They are mainly PEWs she says in another reply when I asked for ages and colors/markings but she cannot tell the newborns. They're all seperated by sex now, but the damage is already done. Probably all the females are pregnant. Right now there are 60+ rats, and the man has more at his house. The case in under investigation. If you can take in one, they need all the help they can get!

Also, she gives permission to ANYONE to cross post this anywhere. Spread the word!

Offline rhinecat

• Posts Too Much!
Re: **Rats from neglect case in NE Ohio Humane Society**
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 09:44:33 PM »
I will ask my friend who does herp rescue if she can take in the 9' boa. They already have 20 15-foot-plus Burmese pythons, so I wonder if one little bitty nine-footer will make much of a difference ;D

Anyone within reach of St. Louis is welcome!

Offline ElkTrails

• Have you snuggled your fuzzie friend today?
    • Elk Trails Rattery
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 09:04:53 PM »
omg..... :o

All those poor rats! 

20- 15+ foot pythons.....*raising an eye brow* why so many?  (Or is that kind of like why people question us for having rats?)
There is more to owning rats than cages, feed, and water. The key is love, dedication, and above all.....knowing that you are not the owner: your rats own you!

Offline rhinecat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 10:31:17 PM »
20- 15+ foot pythons.....*raising an eye brow* why so many?  (Or is that kind of like why people question us for having rats?)

No, they do rescue. See, stupid people like to buy Burmese pythons when they're a foot long, and think that if they keep them in tiny cages, they'll stay small. These are the same morons who like to feed their snake live animals >:( so they feed them often, so not only do they grow, they grow very quickly, and then when they have a snake that's large enough, and prey-driven enough, to threaten their life or someone else's, they give it away. >:( I hate these people every bit as much as those who neglect/abuse rats, because like rats, snakes and other reptiles can put up with ungodly awful treatment before they succumb to their injuries and diseases, so things get horrific. People who do reptile rescue often have some of the worst stories to tell, topped only by those who have seen an animal collector's house.

The next person I see buying an iguana and saying "I'll just feed it some lettuce, and it can live in this 10-gallon tank with a hot rock!" will be accidentally run over. >:(

[/rant]

If you're interested in reptiles, even a little, or want to know more about reptile rescue, check out www.anapsid.org.

Anyone within reach of St. Louis is welcome!