Author Topic: canned cat food questions  (Read 5191 times)

Offline qoti

• Posts Too Much!
  • queen of the idiots.....
canned cat food questions
« on: June 08, 2004, 12:27:54 AM »
We have 2 cats one that is about 20 lbs and one that is 10lbs. The big cat is just a big cat but needed to get down to 17 lbs as per the vet.

Well hes done quite well and has become more active after losing a few lbs on professional low-fat I get it from the feed store. His fur looks better as well. And before this gets into a brand thing I will say that he is allergic to somthing that is in most brands especially nutro and no one knows what it is....sooo not changing dry foods.

Heres the problem the smaller cat though she weighs 10 lbs lost 1/2 lb and now looks like a stray, aparently 10 is the lowest she can go. Hubby took her to the vet to rule out anything else and determined its the lowfat dry food since shes busier she needs the calories.

The vet said all cats should be on both canned and dry but since it was hubby he didnt get any other info as to why and how much. Ive always fed canned in one tbs as a treat daily but in my years of raising cats have never made canned a major part of the diet had a cat live 22 yrs on dry and one spoon of canned.

So I dont know how much to feed though Ive decided to give the smaller cat kitten food and the bigger cat light food and for now am using chicken soup for the cat in kitten and light. Its .75 a small can and I was feeding half but hubby seems to be set on feeding 1/4 can to each cat. So until I call the vet and ask, someting he should have done when he was there or prove otherwise this is going to be an issue. Is there a cheaper decent canned food? I havent looked at petsmart yet.

I still wonder how much and if its really necessary for the bigger cat to get any more than a spoonful anyways. I know the smaller cat needs somthing else is canned kitten food ok to get her weight back up?

Offline rhinecat

• Posts Too Much!
Re: canned cat food questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 12:46:51 AM »
I can't think of why the cats would NEED canned AND dry food. I'd get a second opinion. But trying to supplement the little cat with canned does sound like a good idea, at least to me.

Anyone within reach of St. Louis is welcome!

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 12:56:35 AM »
My own vet doesn't like the idea of giving a cat a dry only diet....  I give my cats free fed dry food (Innova), and a can of food each night.  (small can each).  :)

Offline rhinecat

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 02:32:05 AM »
I can see where you wouldn't want to feed them dry-only; I feed my cats a little can of Pet Gold Elite as a treat, but I cannot think of a scientific reason that cats need both types; certainly not one that a vet would give (unless the cat had a medical condition that necessitated it have lots of moisture in its diet).

Anyone within reach of St. Louis is welcome!

Offline sunshine9

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 09:05:39 AM »
Here's an article written by a cat vet about feeding canned cat food

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=whycatsneedcannedfood

I feed my cats both canned and dry food.  If I had a more stable schedule they would probably eat mostly canned but sometimes I'm not home in time for dinner so their dry food is there to keep them from starving. 

I hope that helps.  You may want to browse some of the other free articles on that sight.  They are really good. 
Deirdre and the Brat Pack-OSED Simon, OSED Theodore, ANR Blizzard, Peanut, Pepper, OSED Mocha, Java, and Houdini
R.I.P-Sunshine and Sweet Pea

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 09:18:10 AM »
if i do get a cat, like deirdre said, I would feed a mix of dry or canned most likely (IF i couldnt get it on raw). if its on raw, it will just eat that. but a high quality all meat canned diet is much better than a carb laden kibble for a strict carnivore!

i personally would feed something like the wysong au jus!
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 09:40:33 AM »
My vet recommended canned in addition to dry as a hairball preventative, after on of my kids got blocked up.  So, they all get a quarter can of canned food every night.  It helps up the moisture level in their diet.  I actually found a decent priced, good quality food at Petsmart, called Authority.  It's got good ingredients, and the cats really like it.  :)

Offline BabyBlue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 01:17:37 PM »
I'm still new to the cat world, but from what I've been reading (holistic care for cats etc) it says that it's better for the cats to be fed mainly canned (high quality of course) food rather than dry. If I remember correctly, dry food only diet can increase the chances of Feline Urological Syndrome (?) and according to this book dry food is always processed more than canned thus much of the necessary vitamins/minerals are destroyed in the process. The book also recommends raw diet over any other commercial food (all organic ingredients), but if that is not an option it recommends either all canned food diet or mostly canned with dry food as treats.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 01:39:03 PM »
I'm still new to the cat world, but from what I've been reading (holistic care for cats etc) it says that it's better for the cats to be fed mainly canned (high quality of course) food rather than dry. If I remember correctly, dry food only diet can increase the chances of Feline Urological Syndrome (?) and according to this book dry food is always processed more than canned thus much of the necessary vitamins/minerals are destroyed in the process. The book also recommends raw diet over any other commercial food (all organic ingredients), but if that is not an option it recommends either all canned food diet or mostly canned with dry food as treats.

The main problem with that is that it causes major tartar build up on the teeth...  Just using dry food, I mean...  I saw it a lot working at the vets office.  Cats fed on all canned who needed to have teeth pulled because their teeth were so bad...  At least with a raw food diet, they have bones to chew that will wear that down....

Offline NutKitty

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 02:27:08 PM »
I can see where you wouldn't want to feed them dry-only; I feed my cats a little can of Pet Gold Elite as a treat,

OMG...  I just got an order of 48 cans of that  in yesterday because I could NOT find it anymore at any of the local petstores!  Do you ever have any trouble finding them?  My cat Sasami LOVES that stuff...  :)

I wonder if making sure your cat has regular dental care can help if you feed your cat mainly a canned food diet? 

I tried a raw diet with my cats, but they really weren't interested...  tried for a couple of weeks, but nope!  I might try getting my new guy to eat some raw food every now and then though since I have a ton of the frozen raw cat diet still sitting in my freezer. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2004, 02:30:01 PM by NutKitty »

Offline kikoalex

• Posts Too Much!
  • I love my little stinks.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 04:00:00 PM »
As to the feeding of your two cats...

I'd feed the thin cat regular cat food and lite to the other.

I also recommend a mostly canned food diet for cats, with dry food left out in case they feel they're hungry.
-Tibeca AND the ratties:
Angel, Mikie, Monkie, Natters, Princess, Snow, Baby Emmie, Sam the man, Sarah and Jubilee.  :)

Offline kim

• Posts Too Much!
  • high drive
    • I Dream of OTCH
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 09:10:19 PM »
feeding canned doesnt really hurt the teeth if the owner is conscientious - i know many cats and dogs eating just kibble that still have disgusting horrible teeth.
ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, CDX ASCA-CD CD-H RE RL1X  RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC VC FFX-OG
Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD-H RN RL1 WAC YTT PTT CGC

Offline kikoalex

• Posts Too Much!
  • I love my little stinks.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 04:25:32 PM »
The only reason I've heard of having dry food for cats is that they supposedly eat like 20 small meals a day.  Imagine having to go from eating 20 small meals to just 1 or 2 large meals.  WAY OVERLOAD.  I believe in giving some hard/crunchy foods to animals to help keep the teeth clean, but that in and of itself is not the solution.
-Tibeca AND the ratties:
Angel, Mikie, Monkie, Natters, Princess, Snow, Baby Emmie, Sam the man, Sarah and Jubilee.  :)

Offline BabyBlue

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 10:00:24 AM »
The only reason I've heard of having dry food for cats is that they supposedly eat like 20 small meals a day.  Imagine having to go from eating 20 small meals to just 1 or 2 large meals.  WAY OVERLOAD.  I believe in giving some hard/crunchy foods to animals to help keep the teeth clean, but that in and of itself is not the solution.
But is that how they eat in nature? What I've been reading tells me the opposite, that in the wild they used to eat only when they can catch something, sometimes going days without food. Fasting inbetween meals gave their body time to digest as well as dispose of toxic waste, and that was the way mother nature kept them healthy. Again, I'm still learning about all this, but the books I've read emphasized over and over again how important it is to not leave food out for them constantly (which people who feeds dry food tends to) because this is not only unnatural for them but it keeps their body working constantly and slows down the metabolism, etc.