Author Topic: advice needed. cat introductions  (Read 2087 times)

Offline ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • life without rats is like life without air
advice needed. cat introductions
« on: September 23, 2004, 10:24:19 AM »
we have had smokey for about 7 yrs. She has always been a difficult cat. Doesn't like people , to be picked up /petted, etc. We got a kitten about a week and a half ago. things have gone from bad to worst. From just hissing, growling and lunging at the kitten. Plus hiding out up stairs, she has taken to doing this to us. We had her on meds for a while for "issues" long before we got the kitten cuz like I said she doesn't like people. We got the kitten in hopes it would calm her down and give her a playmate.Plus why should I not be able to get another cat just because she's a B... ? Any advice on how we can handle this? We really don't want to get rid of the kitten
"Help me not compare myself to others, so I may appreciate my own uniqueness"

Offline Ravyn

• Posts Too Much!
  • Controlled Insanity
Re: advice needed. cat introductions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 10:50:41 AM »
Be patient. Some cats take a long time to acclimate to each other. My cat Athena was NOT happy when I brought the other cats in. Its been nearly a year and she's just now able to join them and sniff them and lay beside them without growling and whapping at them. Even if they never 'like' each other, they will probably be able to ignore and tolerate each other.

Feed them on opposite sides of a door, so they can smell each other while eating. Brush them with the same brush to transfer scents to each other. Keep their nails clipped so that neither accidentally hurts the other while whapping. Take a deep breath. Things will likely turn out just fine.
Nothing so sweet
As four furry feet
Pattering
On my heart

**Hazel, Piglet, Willow, Aslan, Minerva, Oliver, Tsali, Jasper and Athena. Dogs Red and Sadie Rose.

Over the Rainbow: Starr, Garth, Clio, Dublin, Saidee, Perseus, Ariseti, Weasley, Riddle, Cerberus, Angel, Cosmo, and Orion; The Mouse Club

Offline MeGz

• come here bundy come on
Re: advice needed. cat introductions
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 02:24:39 PM »
my family use to have another cat called kitty kitty hated our new cat lucy when we got her she probaley still would except she's no longer with us kitty use to attack lucy with a vengance i think it was jealousy mainly.... some cats just don't like other cats same with rats they just have psycological issues......
Proud mummy of bundy and jubjub the ratties and tiger the cat.

if he can smile so can you!

The night can be read less by living then by the dead