Author Topic: Rabbit nest in my yard. Information needed.  (Read 6800 times)

Offline DebW

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • "That teacher with all the weird animals!"
Rabbit nest in my yard. Information needed.
« on: July 18, 2004, 10:48:13 AM »
I just discovered a rabbit nest in my yard.  The grass was missing and I've seen a rabbit near the spot.  I've helped raised domestic rabbits for several years as part of my daughter's 4H project, so I knew that the fur I saw signaled a nest. I moved a bit of the grass and fur stuffing and saw several very squirmy babies.  Their eyes are closed and they are covered in fuzz.  They still have the white spot on their forheads.

Question:  This nest is on the south side of my house in the sun all day.   We've had a couple of cooler weeks, but I  know rabbits are very sensitive to heat.  Would momma rabbit be upset if I built a little canopy over her nest to shade it and protect it a bit from the rain?  I have to at least put stakes near it so I won't mow over it during the next few weeks.
Deb and the wonderful memories of all the past fur kids I've known and loved.

Offline ratlife

• Posts Too Much!
  • Proud pet of my rodents
    • Perfect Pets Rodent Rescue
Re: Rabbit nest in my yard. Information needed.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 12:28:53 PM »
Can you just put up some little flags so you know it is there?  A mother rabbit (wild anyway, don't know about domestic) does not spend much time with her babies, she comes to feed them a couple times a day and that is it so don't move the babies or anything, if she finds something wrong with  where they are she will move them.

Offline DebW

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 05:21:38 PM »
I forgot to add that I know that momma rabbits only feed during the evening and  night and disappear during the day so that the nest isn't discovered.  I know they're being fed because the couple I saw looked extremely healthy.   I won't handle or move them at all. I'm just concerned about the intense sun they get in that spot all day long.  I'm wondering if I could create a daytime canopy that I could remove during the late afternoon and night.

Offline HTG

• I'm a llama!
    • Holly's Zoo
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 07:09:28 PM »
Any activity in the area, including a canopy increases the odds that predators like dogs and cats will notice the nest.  The mother rabbit would have known the conditions of the area before building her nest (they really can reason that full sun = hot) and put the nest there.  Baby rabbits can tolerate heat much better then adults (this is part of the reason mother rabbits don't sit with their young).  I'm sure they'll be fine where they are.  I would fear that a canopy and your scent around the area would arouse the curiosity of cats or dogs who would surely kill the bunnies.
Random letters in my posts = Ozzy's on the keyboard

Offline Bonnie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Professional Treat Dispenser
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 07:35:14 PM »
I think they will be fine.  Momma bunnies tend to pick good places for hiding bunnies (Except in the case of lawnmowers-- they havn't adapted to that part yet!)

I am so glad you know what you're doing though. I get so many people coming to the store because they found baby bunnies, but the mom isn't around. One woman even insisted that the mom had not come to feed her babies for two days, that she had watched and didn't see her. I tried to explain that they come very early in the morning and very late at night, that they are prey animals, and if they feel they are being watched, they won't go feed until they know it is safe-- not to mention that if the babies had really gone 2 days without eating at that young an age, they'd of died-- but she insisted that the mom was not coming back. So I sold her some milk and a bottle and got away from her as fast as I possibly could because she was making me mad!  I am sure those babies didn't make it.   :(
~Bonnie~

www.petfinder.com --Adopt a pet, save a life!

Offline DebW

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 07:44:18 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll just put some stakes out a ways from the nest so I don't mow it and leave it alone otherwise.