Author Topic: PROLAPSED UTERUS!!! **Good update**  (Read 742 times)

Offline ekw4petrescue

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Home of the Star Wars Rat Clan
PROLAPSED UTERUS!!! **Good update**
« on: September 22, 2004, 01:34:05 PM »
My poor Mirax. I went to give my crew some fruit this morning, and I noticed that Mirax had a pink protrusion just sort of hanging out of her.   :worry: Of course I freaked and pulled her out of the cage to take a closer look. At first, I thought she had a prolapsed rectum. Except it wasn't coming from her rectum. My beloved exotics vet moved to Florida a few months ago, so I called the hospital she recommended to me before she left. When I got there, the vet looked at her and said, "Looks like she has a prolapsed rectum" And I said, "But it's not coming from her rectum." and she looked again and made a surprised exclamation. She had never seen a prolapsed uterus before ( :worry: GREAT). The uterus was looking rather funky after hanging outside the body for so long, I did NOT want them to try to put that back in there to stay. So I decided to have her spayed. Of course there are many risks, considering she is 17 months old, plus they'll have to push the uterus back through to the abdomen so they can spay her correctly, and if anything tears in the process... well I'm just going to try to stay positive. As I was leaving, I was given an estimate of about $500,  :shocked2: and I about fell on the floor. But this is my baby, and she is a happy rattie, and she deserves a chance! I will be anxiously awaiting the call from the vet this afternoon to find out how she's doing.  :sad2:

Has anyone else had this happen to their rattie??
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 11:49:04 AM by ekw4petrescue »
Emily and the Star Wars Rat Clan

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
Re: PROLAPSED UTERUS!!! :( :( :(
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 01:44:07 PM »
*hug* I am so sorry this is happening to her...

I have never had females, so I have never experienced it, but I have heard of it happening. :(

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I've got girls!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 01:53:32 PM »
I have not seen it in rats, but I have seen it in dogs.  We spay them & it takes a good couple of months or so to get the pink swell (I guess you could call it) to go away.  Chelsea
The Dogs:Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy
The Rats: Alice & Whimsy
The Cat: Charm & Kitten

RIP Kobe, Chan, and Langley.  I love you boys so much...

pigsandrats

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 01:54:56 PM »
Saying a prayer for your baby.... :worry:

Offline ratgrl

• My rat is smarter than your honor student!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 02:18:53 PM »
I just went through the very same issue a few weeks ago and posted it up here as well.  Unfortunately during the spay we found out that she has cancer that's pushing her reproductive organs out.  She is about 1 year and 8 months old.  The absolute sweetest rat I've ever seen too.  She has had a complete historectomy (even the vaginal wall was taken) and some of the tumor.  But he was unable to get all of it because it's so far inside of her and wrapped around organs.  She seems very happy though at the moment.  So I'm just keeping her that was as long as possible.  Anyway $500 sounds crazy.  It's too bad you didn't shop around a little.  I did.  I have the best vet in New England who would spay her for $125 but he was away so I wound up with another very very good caring vet who patched her up for a day until he could do surgery and for the patch up, 2 surgeries, and a follow up exam it cost me $310.  I was pleased.  Anyway goodluck with your baby and don't worry because you've done everything you absolutely could.  Alot of times it's not cancer that causes the prolapse.  She might have plenty more time in her.

pigsandrats

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 11:20:49 PM »
Any news on your girl?

Offline ekw4petrescue

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Home of the Star Wars Rat Clan
Re: PROLAPSED UTERUS!!! **Good update**
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 11:47:51 AM »
The procedure went really well and Mirax is doing great so far, I just picked her up from the hospital.  You'd never know she just had a major surgery.  :)  Her uterus had a small tumor in it, and the vet thinks that might have caused the prolapse.  We're having a histopath done so hopefully we'll know what kind of tumor it was. 

She has to be on papertowels/rags for the next 10 days, and I think she's irritated about that.  She keeps re-arranging  the paper towels, moving them every which way, as if she can't get it exactly how she wants it.  :yelcutelaugh:  Thank you so much for your well wishes and concern.  You guys are great!  :heart:
Emily and the Star Wars Rat Clan

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 11:52:53 AM »
Hooray!  I'm glad she came through it all ok!  I hope you have much more time with her.  :)

pigsandrats

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 04:07:16 PM »
Yay!  :-* and a  :cookie: for her.