Author Topic: Best ferret bedding?  (Read 22895 times)

Offline Bonnie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Professional Treat Dispenser
Best ferret bedding?
« on: June 11, 2002, 09:37:44 PM »
Ok, so I am relying on all you for my ferret questions...good thing for this random chatter board...tee hee...

I was wondering what is the best bedding to use in my ferret cage. Let me explain what I mean.

The previous owners had clumping litter for him. (I've read that was bad for them) so I bought Yesterday's News in hopes he accepts it. (I read to use either paper or pine pellet).

Now the previous owners had put the litter in his litter box AND on the bottom of his cage. now I have never had a litter-trained animal before, but from what I DO know about litter trained animals... aren't they supposed to learn to only do thier business on the litter? I would think that if it's everywhere it would screw them up. Part of the reason I think this is he will use his box, but then he will push the box from the wall and go behind it...and of course there is litter there, but I dont know if it really makes a difference. He also poops on the second level, above his litter box...

Well today I bought cage clips to try to keep him from moving the current box, and then I got another box to put on the second level so we're not always having to scrub the wire there. And like I said I got Yesterday's news for his litter.

But what should I put on the bottom of the cage? I had carefresh in the carryhome case but he just dug around in that and made a huge mess in my car, and I picture him doing the same thing in his cage. Does he even need a bedding? I would assume he'd dog in anything I put there. Should I just put towels on the bottom?

I only ask because I have found information on litter, food, grooming, etc etc etc, but nothing on bedding.  Plus we kinda adopted this ferret a year before we were planning on buying one... so now I'm doing speedy research. (So much info! Ahhh!)

Oh and any other hint you can give me would be really nice. I know not to bathe him a lot, although I bought the shampoo just in case I need to....

On a side note, I had 30% off today for associate appreciation day....and I spent $170 AFTER the discount!! Mostly on ferret stuff, since he hardly had anything and had some of the wrong stuff... but I couldn't leave the rats out...and the rabbits!...oh, and not to mention that now I am in a house I can set up my fish tank again, so I had to get new gravel and deco... Hubby isn't too happy about it...but I reminded him that we have 10 pets that I have to provide for (4 rats, 5 rabbits and a ferret)...and that with 30% off that was $68 I saved... *I* think it was worth it... heehee-- working in a pet store is dangerous!
~Bonnie~

www.petfinder.com --Adopt a pet, save a life!

Offline Valerie

• and The Brood de Brux
Re:Best ferret bedding?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2002, 11:27:15 PM »
Most people with ferrets use either towels or old t-shirts in the bottom of the cages.  You did right by adding another litter box where he was going on the second floor.

Valerie

Anna

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2002, 12:47:05 AM »
Just an FYI- Heat treated pine pellets are NOT safe, no matter what the package says.
from Debbie D at the RFC
Some claim that pine shavings which are heat-treated are safe because the heat drives off the toxins. There are currently products being sold, notably All-Pet Pine, Feline Pine, and Pine Fresh, that claim to be free of toxins. However, the studies in references 8 and 9 found that heat treatment did not remove all the toxins from the wood. Heat-treated shavings still caused a rise in liver enzymes in rats and mice.

So no matter what you're told, don't believe them. Pine is bad in all forms, no matter how they process it.

That said, I know nothing about ferrets, they're illegal in Ca, and I've never seen one  :(
Good luck with him though!

Offline Bonnie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2002, 07:45:17 AM »
Yeh, that's exactly why I dind't pick pine pellets. Well not "exactly" but if shavings are bad for my ratties i really really didn't want to put pellets in with my ferret. Paper just sounded healthier.

I think he's mad at me cuz I clipped his box to the cage and he couldn't move it last night. Heehee... but I gave him toys and treats so that better make up for it. :)
~Bonnie~

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2002, 10:41:17 AM »
to tell you the truth, I use either yesterday's news or carefresh in the litter box, and the bottom of the cage has NO litter whatsoever.  he's fully litter trained, and goes only in the litter box.  the litter box is clipped to stay put using c-clamps, and you may have to find a bowl that secures to the cage as well if your ferret is anything like mine, lol..  

for the bottom of the cage, it's completely solid (I have a midwest ferret playpen with extra added floors, and 4 hammocks strategically placed for him).  I have a couple fleece blankets and a small pet bed on the botton for him to sleep in, that I wash weekly.  I used to put carefresh on the bottom of the cage, but after a while he began using every single corner of the cage as a "litter box", so I cut that out and just keep the bottom bare except for his bed and blankets.  he has toys strewn about inside the cage (and out... but the cats have fun with them as well.. lol), so,.

figure out what your ferret likes, so you know what kinds of toys to get!  some ferrets love crinkly toys, some love rubber.  whatever the toys, be sure they won't get torn apart and him swallow them.. because their intestines can get blocked extremely easily.. they have a short intestinal tract.   you did buy ferret laxatives too, right..? lol..  

Offline Bonnie

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2002, 09:21:12 PM »
Well ever since I clipped the box to the cage he has only gone IN the box. I added the second box on the middle level, where he was pooping on the wire....and he chose to roll around in that one...but he hasn't pooped in it. I figure that if he really wants to sleep in that box and not poop, then I will leave it there, because at least I dont have to clean poop from the wire every day! I'll have to take the litter out of it though...it's all over my floor.

What kind of treats does your ferret eat? I bought 3 different kinds thinking if he's anything like the rats he'd like at least 2 of the 3...and he doesnt bother with any of the 3! (grumble)

I bought him one of those cat toys on a stick...it was a puff ball animal with google eyes, but I took the eyes off so he wouldn't eat them. He loves the thing. He really is something different from anything I have ever owned!!
~Bonnie~

Offline DragonTamer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spider Lovin'
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2002, 10:05:54 PM »
yeah ferrets are a bundle of fun!  and when they're adults, they're more hyperactive than they are as babies.  most beginner ferret people are told to get babies cause they wear out faster.. but you, like me.. wound up with SUPER HYPER CREATURE OF DOOOOM!!!  mwahaha!!  

LOL I love Spam.  they need about 4 hours of playtime outside the cage.. and the second you let them out, they are extremely hyper!

to tell you the truth, my ferret doesn't like treats at all.  he tried a couple of those pounce cat treats but he really isn't into them..  now, for a treat, I give him either a bit of chicken, boiled chicken liver, or some beef baby food.  he likes a little bit of cold cuts, as well..  the bad thing is I'm a lacto vegetarian, so it feels like I'm being a hypocrite again, buying tofu for me and my ratties, then turning around and buying chicken livers for my ferret.  

Offline FerretLover<3

Re: Best ferret bedding?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 12:51:53 PM »
I've seen quite a few people make some bedding with old cloth lying around or some cheap stuff from a department store. In some cases there are people that make whole uniformed bedding for certain types of cages and can make them any color you'd like. My cage ^^ like mentioned above doesn't have any kind of special bedding right now for my ferret, I just put blankets down (because she likes to cuddle in them and sleep) as well as a couple hanging sleeping options. When dealing with a bathroom issue I read that putting something in every corner other than the litter box corner (like locking crock bowls or sleeping/exploring options) will help them use only the litter box because they don't potty where they eat, drink, or sleep. And for my litter I use Country Boy -premium oak pellets, it's actually horse bedding but it comes in larger quantities and is much cheaper than any other type of litter. I found this works best because since it is pellets there is no dust to bother sensitive ferret noses and it is a breeze to clean up, it doesn't clump but when the ferret uses the bathroom the pellets get soft and fuse together. Kind of like kitty litter but without the dangers. Hope this helps!
★♡Ƒƪơωεг♡★

Offline xxplay_beckxx

• Ritten
Re: Best ferret bedding?
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 09:04:49 PM »
i use wood pellts for the litter tray (only because my ferret refuses to use anything els) iv tryed papper she just pulls it all out or uses it like a diggin box i use old blankets around the cage to cover the mesh floors my ferret loves to dig so  use an old storage box and fill it with shredded papper she loves to play in it i also use a tumble dryer pipe to tiye around the cage its great fun t watch her side down it she loves them but the best thing i found for beddin is old joggers or t-shirts she likes to curl up inside them i go to my local charaty shop and pick up baby toys and cloths for her

also as for litter training i started by putting the ferret in the cage with one litter tray and watched for a day or two to see wair she used for the toilet they ushually go in the corners and will tend to use the same areas they like once you have found them put a litter tray in tha areal i advise to tiye it to she side of the cage i make 2 holes and use a shoe lace cheaper than buying all clips the ferrets tend to do the rest them self then but if it wunt use the litter tray wen you clean the cage put a peice of poo in the litter tray so it can smel wair to go if you catch your ferret going somewair els say no and place it in the litter tray wen the ferret uses the toilet make a fuss so they know  its a goodthing

just put blankets and old clothes for the cage only litter for the trays cover everywair els in cloth they will love it

as for any other hints meat as a treat don do the fruit it tends to give them the runs a a rasin once in a while wount hurt or penut butter but try n give no fiber there systems carnt digest it and get your ferret used to yu toutchin its ears face and feet so if needed you can clip nail clean ears and just genrally gve your ferret a cheak over once in a while

hope your have fun with your bndle of yoy an hope tis helps x