Author Topic: Best kind of bedding...?  (Read 13997 times)

Offline Linny

• Owned by Arthur and Boo
Best kind of bedding...?
« on: October 22, 2004, 01:56:45 PM »
Hi! I'm mostly just asking this to prove to my mom that there IS a difference between different types of bedding, so she doesn't put our rats on cedar when we get them next month...  :-\

So, what's the best kind of bedding for rats? I know not to use cedar or pine (which is VERY annoying since it's all the petstores sell, and my parents are tempted by how you can get huge bags of it for about two dollars), but I'm not sure what kind I SHOULD use. Like some sort of wood chips, or cat litter, or something... Any suggestions?

Also, if anyone lives in or near Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada), do you know of a place where I can actually BUY some good types of it? Because all I can find are cedar, pine, and some very small bags of aspen, which would last about a day, that cost about ten dollars each.  ::)
)c ¨>
( (oo)

Arthur and Boo -- they've stolen my heart and hidden it in their cage somewhere

RIP Patches and Caramel, the hamsters... we loved you and we still do <3

Offline jessiree

• Posts Too Much!
  • I live for rattie kisses.
Re: Best kind of bedding...?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 02:04:48 PM »
I don't live near you, but I do have some good suggestions, that hopefully you can find near you!  :BlueDumboSmile:

I personally use old towels/cloth.  My raties love it and it's easy to use.  It doesn't both anyone allergy-wise.  I just change their towels every 2 days and wash them--and replace with others!

There's also Aspen (a safe wood shaving) and carefresh (a paper bedding) and also something like Yesterday's news (a recycled newspaper cat litter.--don't use the clay kind of litter, by the way)  You can get a huge bag of yesterday's news for a decent price and it'll last a WHILE. 
Love a rescue rat and they will love you back!

Offline starsevol

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 02:05:17 PM »
Hi Linny,

I started my boys on carefresh. It does have an odor to that alot of people dont like.
Then I tried ultra carefresh.....nice but EXPENSIVE....

then one of my boys, Beau, developed respiratory issues and Kim (from Kims Ark) told me about towels......completely dust free!

I go to the thrift store and buy them cheap. I throw them away when they get too holey.
Its alot of laundry but the rats dont care whether or not their bedding is neatly folded  ;D

And my boys LOVE burrowing and playing in the towels. They chew them up and stuff them into the door of the igloo on chilly nights. And when you clean the cage, unlike litter that makes a mess, towels pull out in one piece. I love that! I will never use anything else now!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 02:09:26 PM by starsevol »
Ruger and Remington.

Forever in my heart-OSED Rain Beau, OSED Cosmic Cloud, OSED Grand Finale, Art Vandelay,Bobbiesue,Billiejo,Risotto,Wellington,Winchester, Roosevelt ,Marshmallow and Luger.

Offline brandy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 03:06:33 PM »
I use shredded aspen, I can get a package at Target for $3.50 (US$) that lasts me about six cage cleanings.  Very cheap, and have never had a problem with it!

I used to use Carefresh, which is also good, but it's a lot more expensive. I like it, but I can't justify paying more when the aspen gets the job done just as well.

There are lots of other paper-based beddings out there, take a look at your local stores to see what's available. If there are any big chain pet stores near you, they usually have a better selection, and also look at feed stores.

Definitely don't take the risk on cedar or pine - respiratory problems, liver problems, all kinds of problems! Ask your parents whether they'd rather pay a little more for bedding or a lot more on vet visits!

Also - how many cages do you have? B/c you said you only found tiny bags of aspen... A lot of the time, the bags are vacuum-packed, and hold a lot more than it looks like.  The bags I get at target are only about 15" long, 9" wide and 3" thick, so it's only 9 liters - but as it says on the bag, it expands to 24 liters.  As I said above, that little bag easily lasts me five or six cleanings. (Although $10, even Canadian, is a lot for a little bag of aspen.) But if you've only got one or two cages to clean, don't discount the small bags if you can find them cheaper.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 03:09:53 PM by brandy »
Brandy 1, cancer 0

Zero rats currently.
RIP: Snickers, Twizzler, Nestle, Valrhona, Cadbury, Elizabeth, Victoria, Artemis, Cassie, Lucy, and Chica.

Offline tsk_n_such

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 03:16:24 PM »
when my rats are in quarantine and, thus, have to be in a standard cage, I've always used either Carefresh or Aspen. Carefresh is a bit dusty though and doesn''t control odors, even though I'm a frequent cage cleaner.  Aspen does control odors pretty well and is pretty reasonable.  In the permanent cages, though, they are on linoleum and only use the 'potty' area..where I use yesterday's news pellets.  :)
The wee rat girls: Dysentery, Tularemia and Listeria

Offline Kendra

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 04:43:15 PM »
I love aspen.  I didn't like the smell of Carefresh, and Cell-Sorb is hard.  Mine aren't potty-trained, so using towels got really messy.  Aspen is absorbent, soft for them to walk on, smells nice, and is a lot less expensive than most other stuff.  I haven't tried Yesterday's News, or that new cardboard bedding, though, so they might be good, too. 
Ratless

Offline Sunilata

• Posts Too Much!
  • one tough lobstahgirl
    • Island Gliders
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 04:49:43 PM »
:heart: Yesterday's News! I only use towels for sneezy babies or rats that I am trying to monitor their...erm, raisins.  :confused:

YN is heavy enough so it doesn't get kicked out of the cage (that much), controls odors well, and while it is kind of expensive around here (I'm in Maine, and I pay $8 for a 15 lb. bag) it lasts awhile. It is also one of the only beddings that aren't pine or cedar that I can get around here, and it makes me feel good to know that it is recycled. :)
islandsugargliders.com

Offline MinnieRat

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 05:04:17 PM »
I use cloth for them.  They are usually bed sheets, pillow cases, and shams. My guys aren't potty trained but, I clean their cages every day. Now that it is getting a little cooler here I have lined the cages with fleece. It is so much easier to clean cages for me then using aspen. (Just my opinion.)
Our dog Shannon. Rest in peace sweet girl.
6-28-91 to 1-7-08
You were the best dog.
We miss you!

Poppercannon
5-23-98 to 8-12-12
We miss you buddy!

Zoey
3-18-01 to 6-26-15
Your mommy misses you so much baby girl. She loved you so much!

Offline Christy

• Posts Too Much!
    • Christy's Corner
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 07:24:03 PM »
I'm allergic to aspen shavings but love the Gentle Touch aspen pellets.  Equivalents are Yesterday's News and Cell Sorb Plus.  Those are my favorites to use and are all three pellet type litters.  Be sure to never use cedar, pine or clumping cat litters.

Offline SR&P

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 07:30:40 PM »
According to my vet, Carefresh is the best.
Rosemary & Sugar: 2002-12/17/05
My dearest friend/if you don't mind/I'd like to join you by your side/where we can gaze into the stars/and sit together/now and forever/for it is plain as anyone can see/we're simply meant to be.-Finale, The Nightmare Before Christmas

Offline VegetarianPetLuvR

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 07:35:37 PM »
I use carefresh for the litterbox, and paper towels for the rest of the cage and for bedding. However, I don't like the fact that carefresh doesn't really reduce odors, and it's quite expensive, so I plan on switching to aspen pellets. This has been mentioned, but I have to add: Just don't get pine or cedar. And clumping cat litter isn't a good idea either.

Offline Christy

• Posts Too Much!
    • Christy's Corner
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2004, 07:59:57 PM »
According to my vet, Carefresh is the best.

I'm so allergic to carefresh it's ridiculous.  Plus I don't like the way it smells or controls odor.  Just my opinion - I know a lot of people love it. I like the fact that it's soft, I just can't walk in the rat room when I use it.  :/

Offline enchancea

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 02:23:20 AM »
I used old towels and pillow cases along with newspaper.

Offline Linny

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2004, 09:05:17 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys  :)
)c ¨>
( (oo)

Offline Linny

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2004, 07:51:23 PM »
Okay... we found some large bags of Yesterday's News at Petvalu or someplace like that for a pretty good price, and we've bought some, so we're going to use that.  :)

Ohhhh, I wish my dad would hurry up making that cage!  :hyper:
)c ¨>
( (oo)

Offline Mighty-Midget

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2004, 09:24:13 PM »
There is a cat litter called Yesterday News, it's not ...horribly...exspensive, and it a bag will last you a while. It works wonders on the smell. I also put some care Fresh where I know the ratties like to sleep to make it a little softer and more comfy for them.

Offline BadRattitude

• Posts Too Much!
    • Bad Rattitude Rattery and Rodent Rescue
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2004, 09:40:05 PM »
I'm currently using Harlan's Shredded Aspen, which I LOVE.  It's similar to the Kaytee Aspen but without the dust.  I've gotten buggies 2 of the 3 times I've used Carefresh, so i don't use it any longer.  YN controls odor great, but can be expensive if you have alot of cages or big cages.  In a pinch i've used shredded newspaper (soy inks).

Bad Rattitude Rattery

Offline Leslie Marie

• Posts Too Much!
  • Love is how you earn your wings
    • ..::My deviantART::..
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2004, 09:49:15 PM »
I currently have my rat's on Yesterday's News and it works really well. The best I've used so far. I was using Carefresh and it's a good bedding too. The reason I stoped using it was because it was causing my asthma to act up.  :-\

Offline rattielady

• I'm asking Santa for a Martins cage this year!
    • rat album
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2004, 09:03:44 AM »
I was able to go to Tractor Supply (thanks to a tip on here) and got a HUGE bage of aspen for $8 HUGE HUGE bag! should last for a very long time! This is even scent free. which made me happy. it says it expands to 5.0 cubic feet. I swear it is at least the size of 5 bags of the same stuff I get from the pet stores. and only  a little over a dollar more expensive. I bet any farm stores will have this stuff.
RATS- Ricky...Fred...Girlfriend...Hershey....and Dottie
CAT- Simba
KIDS- Jeremy...Andrea...Aaron
GONE TO THE BRIDGE- Wilma(who started it all)...  Stormy(left us way too soon)...Angel,Lionel,and Squeakers(who were all just babies and weren't here very long,but long enough :) ..)

Offline Mighty-Midget

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2005, 03:12:29 PM »
I resently descovered this AMAZING bedding called hunt club pet bedding, it's sold at any feed stores and such, it's cheap it's light, and it's COMPLETLY dust free!!!

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 09:16:41 AM »
What's it made of?

I never consider a bedding unless I know its content. ;)

Edit: Found this:

manufactured from selected grades of corrugated material typically used for boxes, which is converted into small dimensional pieces

http://www.equiworld.net/uk/ezine/0102/huntclub.htm
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 09:19:00 AM by Suebee »

Offline ratties

• Posts Too Much!
  • life without rats is like life without air
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 08:27:29 PM »
i started off with carefresh switched to yesteredays news but was still having a problem with sneezy rats so now i am using hemp. i am so tempted to try using fabric.
"Help me not compare myself to others, so I may appreciate my own uniqueness"

Offline ruthiechan

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ph34r!
    • Ruthiechan.net
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2005, 09:44:05 PM »
when my rats are in quarantine and, thus, have to be in a standard cage, I've always used either Carefresh or Aspen. Carefresh is a bit dusty though and doesn''t control odors, even though I'm a frequent cage cleaner.  Aspen does control odors pretty well and is pretty reasonable.  In the permanent cages, though, they are on linoleum and only use the 'potty' area..where I use yesterday's news pellets.  :)

Am I the only one whose experience is the opposite?
I'm using Aspen right now and technically, cage cleaning day isn't for 3 days, but I'm going to have to change it tonight because it smells already!
This is especially bad for my husband whose allergic to the rats. It also clings like crazy to cloth and carpet.
With CareFresh, I could be on time or a day late (though I try not to to do that, but life happens sometimes) and it's not such a big deal because it doesn't smell too bad.

Yesterdays News is okay, but when I saw my sister use it, it turned her rat's tails black.

When we move though and actually have a washer and dryer INSIDE, I'm going to use nothing but cloth.
~Ruthie
"Fear is the opposite of faith." -Susan W. Tanner
www.ruthiechan.net
www.n3f.org

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2005, 09:03:45 AM »
The only time I ever tried Aspen it kicked off a respiratory infection in one of my rats, so I haven't used it since. I can't vouch for it's economy or odor control...

That said, I personally think CareFresh is fantastic at odor control. I've -never- had anyone tell me my home reeked of rat, even when the cage needed a cleaning. I usually got comments like "Wow, your place doesn't smell at all!" -- and usually from non-rat people.

As for its dustiness... depends on the bag. I've had some dusty bags here and there over the years... but it's usually pretty good. I've noticed and overall improvement since they started smooshing it into tight bricks instead of bagging it loose, like they used to.

Offline kmw

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • No longer a rat mom
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2005, 10:00:07 AM »
I've used:

Cloth
Aspen
Carefresh (regular and ultra)
White Tek-fresh
Cellsorb
Hemp

I've currently got white Tekfresh and Harlan aspen.  The aspen itself has an odor (not offensive, but it smells like aspen!), and doesn't have the odor control capacity of the regular carefresh.  But, my rats have their own living area, on a solid non-carpeted floor, so clean-up is a breeze.  Plus, I'm switching cages to really deep pans, so that keeps the amount of kickage to a minimum :)
kmw
RFC Moderator

"Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them." - P.J. O'Rourke

The Bean  Bean 2.0