Author Topic: Best kind of bedding...?  (Read 13999 times)

Offline jixie

Re: Best kind of bedding...?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2005, 06:25:36 PM »
Am I the only one whose experience is the opposite?

Heya.

I switched to aspen because of costs before I got rats, but I used to use carefresh in my rabbits litterbox. It was before he was neutered and had some pretty potent urine. There was never a problem with oder, even when cleaning the litter box. Switched to aspen and --ugh! Thought I would pass out first time cleaning it.

Currently using hardwood pellets and it's by far my favorite litter. Inexpensive, excellent odor control, and hey it even looks nice. The downsides are that it's really heavy, and it's not very comfortable to stand on. I don't use it in cages where the animal has to stay on their bedding (ie, tanks), but in the multi-level rat cage it's perfect for the pan, or in the rabbits litterboxes.

Each litter has it's pros and cons and it will take some experimenting to decide which type is "perfect" for ones situation. Aside from cedar I'd also strongly discourage using corncob bedding, it doesn't absorb anything and it WILL mold if you don't change it everyday, and has no redeeming factors that would make it worth your money.

Jixie

Offline Ratschooksanddog

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2005, 11:49:09 PM »
hey

I use Oaten Chaff. I have trouble finding siutable litter where i am, so i can simpathise. I use chaff in my brooders (for young chickens) Its dust free and really absorbent. It has a lovley hay smell.
The rats love to have a dig in it for edible bts (making a mess around the cage). I only have to change it every 2 weeks if i put it 1-2 inches deep.
A 35kg bag costs me only $18 (AU)

As for sleeping material...old clothes work well! And unbleached, unsented toilet papaer...but usually by accident. Mostly the rats sleep in their tunnel hammock.

Jessica

Offline Kimmers

• And stuff.
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2005, 11:02:13 AM »
I used to use Carefresh, but wasn't too terribly impressed, so after lots of recommendations, I switched to Yesterday's News. And I love it, it's the best I've tried yet -- the downfall is that it's expensive.   $15 for it here, and it is a 15 or 20 lb bag, but with a cage my size, it's like it's only enough for 3 uses. So since I change out the litter every week, that adds up. ;P   

This towel idea intrigues me, though. I'd like to try it, but my parents would throw a fuss at me throwing the dirty ones into the washer when it's time. They're so anti-rat, don't want anything the rats have touched touching anything of theirs.  ::)
~*Kimmers*~

Pets name: (Chiyo)
Adopt your own!

Offline aphoeniceus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2005, 11:05:43 AM »
I used to use Carefresh, but wasn't too terribly impressed, so after lots of recommendations, I switched to Yesterday's News. And I love it, it's the best I've tried yet -- the downfall is that it's expensive.   $15 for it here, and it is a 15 or 20 lb bag

Have you looked in the cat litter section?  I get a 30# bag at Petsmart for $11.
Human slave to 8 snakes, 2 cats, and 1 conure

Offline critterkeeper

• I could NOT be any cuter! Well, maybe..........
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2005, 09:18:20 AM »
I used to use Carefresh, but wasn't too terribly impressed, so after lots of recommendations, I switched to Yesterday's News. And I love it, it's the best I've tried yet -- the downfall is that it's expensive.   $15 for it here, and it is a 15 or 20 lb bag, but with a cage my size, it's like it's only enough for 3 uses. So since I change out the litter every week, that adds up. ;P   
Well, I am currently using Carefresh, and I don't think it' s worth $20.00 for 10lbs.! I fell in love with Yesterday's News just now, and to think of how giddy I'm being over bedding. I cried tears of happiness (literally) when I saw the little brown dot on my babies noses' indicating they were siamese because it was "just so beautiful"  :BlueDumboSmile:. Anyway, maybe I'm so happy cause I'm gonna order my new cage today and its SuperBowl Sunday......... GO PATS!!!  :BlueDumboSmile: :rattysmiley:
The proud trainee of 22 Rats:
Loki~Nemo~Snoopy~Paris~Dipsy~Kiwi~Mac~Otis~Coconut~
Billy~Mr. Maple~Twinkie~Montegue~Callie~and 8 new Jelly Beans!!!
3 Guinea Pigs:
Winnie~Mitzi~Hershey
1 Cat
~Sami~

Offline Kimmers

• And stuff.
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2005, 11:55:51 AM »
Have you looked in the cat litter section?  I get a 30# bag at Petsmart for $11.

I think one time I grabbed that one by accident, then realized later it was cat litter. I wonder, is there any difference between the Small Animal Yesterdays news, and the Cat Yestdays news?
~*Kimmers*~

Pets name: (Chiyo)
Adopt your own!

Offline jessiree

• Posts Too Much!
  • I live for rattie kisses.
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2005, 09:11:33 PM »

I think one time I grabbed that one by accident, then realized later it was cat litter. I wonder, is there any difference between the Small Animal Yesterdays news, and the Cat Yestdays news?

As far as I've been told there is no difference except the price. Market it in smaller bags for small animals and charge an arm and a leg!  ::)
Love a rescue rat and they will love you back!

Offline Rattie_lover

• wanna know what having a toddler's like? get a rat
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2005, 07:07:42 PM »
sorry if you think this is off topic but i think it fits in -

i was lookin at different rat cages on ebay the other day and a lot of them specifically say 'rat' in the description, yet they have pine shelves. now, i wouldnt buy them anyway cuz my rats would chew the shelves lol but i thought all pine was toxic for them? so is it just the bedding and the shelves in cages are ok, or are the people on ebay misinformed/just trying to sell the cages?
Magic and Trix both say hi!

R.I.P Lulu, Mrs Snot, Pinky, Brain, and Dawn

Offline amylou

• I Love My Rats!!
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2005, 12:29:34 AM »
I have been wondering about this Carefresh too because everytime I hold my girls after I put them down I sneeze a few times and then when I clean out their cages I sneeze a lot.  Does the ultra carefresh seem to have less dust than the regular?  The kind they sell at Kim's Ark looks neat and it says it has less dust but the shipping is expensive.  It is the same at the rat shop too.  I thought Yesterday's News may be too hard for them to walk on, so that is why I haven't tried that.   I thought about trying Aspen until I saw where Suebee wrote it triggered a res infec in one of hers.  Well now I am clueless, I will just have to try it all out I guess.