Author Topic: Can rats catch cold sores?  (Read 6522 times)

em

Can rats catch cold sores?
« on: April 15, 2002, 12:24:01 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but just wanted to check! I am an unfortunate victim of the herpes simplex virus and was wondering whether I could possibly infect my rats when I kiss them (just on their fur!). Does anyone know?

???

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
Re:Can rats catch cold sores?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2002, 12:44:19 PM »
Wow... that's a tough one!

To be honest, I don't know... have you tried searching the CDC web site for information?  That's usually where I start... there aren't too many human infections that rats can get (strep being one of them), so I would imagine it would be safe, but I really don't know.

http://www.cdc.gov

Ali

Hello Em ! I have no idea whether they can or not
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2002, 01:46:36 PM »
so I can't give any advice - I would think it's unlikely though. I'm a poor victim too sometimes, and none of my pets have caught one yet.

So really it was a bit useless me replying - in truth I just wanted to practice writing a message on this new forum and putting some smilies in !! ;D

Talk to you soon, love to all the ratty girls
Ali & the boyz

Pantalaimion333

Hmmmm, I only know of
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2002, 04:03:06 PM »
rats catching the sickness from people with Strep Throat.

This new forum is geat!! ;D

Offline Grace

• Posts Too Much!
  • Don't shop, adopt!
    • Graceful Moose Diapers
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2002, 10:47:50 PM »
As far as I know, rats can't get cold sores.  Since they haven't gotten them yet, I'd assume all was safe...  

Visit us at Mainely Rat Rescue
Don't forget to visit our STORE

em

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2002, 04:42:12 AM »
Thanks for the replies, guys, much appreciated. I haven't been kissing my ratties when I have an open sore (sorry, I know that's a charming image) so they shouldn't have caught anything even if they could, if you know what I mean. I'll have a good look through the website Suebee suggested and see what it says.

Thanks again!  :)