Author Topic: Questions about cat food?  (Read 2610 times)

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
Questions about cat food?
« on: November 22, 2004, 06:48:08 PM »
As most of you know, our one cat Neko was diagnosed with FUS (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Syndrome).  He is now on the Hill's S/D diet and will continue to be for the next 6 to 8 weeks. Then the vet will want him back on the C/D diet.

I was fine with this...until I read a book By Ann Martin called Food Pets Die For. It just sickens me!

My question is, I don't want to feed him this diet forever. I want to put him and the others on a natural human grade food. He was on Innova shortly before this and loved it. I have been reading a bit and found that Wellness has cranberries and blueberries added to the cat diet to help maintain urinary tract health.

Has anyone ever dealt with this or know someone who has had a cat on a natural diet with a previous occurrence of a UTI and gotten good results? I just want my cats to eat good food, I don't want to feed them garbage anymore.

Offline Boobaloo

• My Webshots Photos
Re: Questions about cat food?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 07:14:00 PM »
Well i have no experience with UTI's but i think it would be best for the cats to be on the best diet possible. I would think your idea of switching to a human grade food once the prescription stuff is done is good.

My cats get Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul dry and Wellness wet. The Chicken soup contains cranberries and other goodies like the wellness but is condirably cheaper around here. All 'good quality' human grade cat food that i'v looked at has the right ingredients for maintaining a healthy uriniray tract and would be better than non human grade food. If it's a brand your unfamiliar with research it and it's ingredient or ask around, most are really good.

Rats- Maurice(nm) and the girls- Gigi, Duckie, Rogue, Geisha and Bliss
2 syrian hamsters (Penelope and Echo), 2 cats (Loki and Meesha)
Forever in our Hearts - Zen(FR), Kiki(FR), Pandora(FH), Hamtaro(FH)  :heart:

Offline BionicKoi

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 08:59:52 PM »
Thanks for the info, I was thinking of doing the Wellness dry along with the Innova canned. My manger orders Innova from a wholesaler who sells only natural food, and for the price I get it from I can't beat it! But I don't think they sell Wellness. A local pet stores sells it which is convenient.

I will definitely look into the Chicken Soup cat food!

Offline Tizzrah

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 11:09:27 AM »
Any of the following foods are excellent:

+Wellness
+Innova
+Pure Gold
+Eagle
+Merrick (wet only)
+Chicken Soup

Our cats eat Eagle Holistics dry along with Innova wet.  Both are really good foods.  Science Diet really isn't that great.. if you look at the ingredients, it has a lot of by-products.  :P

Offline Tamara

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 04:02:50 PM »
Wellness, Solid Gold and Innova would probably be my top choices. You want to look for something that is human grade and with as few grains as possible.  One option that you may want to look into is feeding only or mostly canned as this is usually good for cats with urinary tract problems.  There was a discussion on here not that long ago called cat food issues where there are some links posted discussing this issue.  One thing about Wellness is that it is baked rather than extruded (healthier)